Subject: Re: [xmpp] 3921bis - OPTIONAL threads.

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:35:09 +0100

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 7/21/10 9:22 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> In 5.2.5, we say that threads are OPTIONAL. Earlier (5.1), we say
>> they're a SHOULD in the context of chats. Should we make reference to
>> 5.1's SHOULD in 5.2.5's OPTIONAL?
>
> I've provisionally modified Section 5.1 to state:
>
>   The inclusion of the <thread/> element is OPTIONAL for messages of
>   type "normal", "headline", and "groupchat", and RECOMMENDED for
>   messages of type "chat".

Yes, sorry, I've been inconsistent.

I think what should happen here is that it's OPTIONAL everywhere, or
that it's optional everywhere with an informal recommendation to do
it. Saying that all chats SHOULD have it is too far removed from the
reality today.

/K

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:59:57 -0600

> it. Saying that all chats SHOULD have it is too far removed from the

You're right. Changed in my working copy.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/