Subject: [xmpp] Stream ID

From: Paul Aurich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:58:01 -0700

It seems to me that the stream header 'id' attribute was underspecified
(or at least open to misinterpretation) in rfc3920 section 4.4, as I've
encountered a few servers that do not include the XMPP Stream ID in the
server's response for a jabber:client stream.

I think it's clearly specified in the current draft of rfc3920bis, but
wonder if it's worth an implementation note or entry in Appendix D to
note that it was previously vaguer and clients may need to be able to
handle it being missing.

Cheers,
~Paul

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:13:11 -0600

On 8/26/10 10:58 PM, Paul Aurich wrote:
> (or at least open to misinterpretation) in rfc3920 section 4.4, 

I think it was very poorly specified, and thus open to
misinterpretation. By "SHOULD be used only in the XML stream header from
the receiving entity to the initiating entity" the spec writer probably
meant "MUST include in the response stream header but MUST NOT include
in the initial stream header". That's just one of many examples of
improvement in the spec between 3920 and 3920bis.

> as I've

It's not clear to me if we need an interoperability note here, but I see
no harm in adding one, so I'll do that after IETF Last Call.

Thanks!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:54:45 -0600

> no harm in adding one, so I'll do that after IETF Last Call.

I've added the following note to my working copy:

      Interoperability Note: In RFC 3920, the text regarding inclusion
      of the 'id' attribute was ambiguous, leading some implementations
      to leave the attribute off the response stream header.

/psa