Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt

From: "ChenGang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:07:05 +0800

Dear all,

I would like to provide a short description to explain the reasons we
propose this work in XMPP area.

Always-on applications are quite prevalent in current mobile network. These
applications are based on TCP/IP. 

And, application flows require one long-lived TCP connection between clients
and servers. 

In order to keep application session going, frequent notifications are
transmitted.

A number of notifications will occupy significant part of air resources and
also cause battery consumption of mobile terminals.

Furthermore, it will affect establishment of normal voice call.

We would like adopt XMPP architecture to resolve the problems.

We noticed XMPP suits well for wireless environments in terms of using
persistent TCP connections. 

For now several other and different IM/Presence technologies are available. 

XMPP pubsub fits well in such environment to facilitate the
interoperability.

I'm also aware of proposed work is not in the current XMPP work group
charter. 

However the requirements is existing and waiting for the solution.

We are expecting a lightweight and XMPP extensible solution to advance such
work in IETF.

So, we would like to take this chance to discuss further.

Comments are welcome

Many thanks

Gang

  _____  

*	From: Peter Saint-Andre < <mailto:[email-masked]> stpeter at
stpeter.im> 
*	To: XMPP < <mailto:[email-masked]> xmpp at ietf.org> 
*	Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 10:38:35 -0600 

<hr size=2 width="100%" align=center> 

FYI.
 
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 09:22:55 -0700
From: internet-drafts at ietf.org
Reply-To: internet-drafts at ietf.org
To: i-d-announce at ietf.org
 
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 
        Title           : XMPP Pubsub Extenstion for Long-lived TCP Services
        Author(s)       : Gang Chen
        Filename        : draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt
        Pages           : 5
        Date            : 2011-07-04
 
   This memo defines extensions to pubsub features of the Extensible
   Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) that will address issues
   encountered by a long-lived TCP connection in mobile environments.
   Network resources consumption issues are happenned when there are
   frequent notification messages have been transmitted periodically.
   Depending on raised issues, the extension for XMPP pubsub protocol
   could be considered to optimize network quality.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt
 
Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
 <ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
 
This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
I-D-Announce at ietf.org
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:32:22 +0100

> However the requirements is existing and waiting for the solution.

I actually think you'd be best raising this in the XSF, rather than  
IETF.

I understand what you're aiming to do, but the expertise you need  
will be found within the XSF, and this specification will be  
extending XEP-0060 anyway, so will be simpler to do as a XEP.

Also, I think your design is slightly wrong. What you should do is  
have users subscribe normally, using their bare jid, but have the  
server bunch the notifications. I think I could probably implement  
this relatively easily, whereas if each pubsub node has to be  
individually configured with timing information, I need to coordinate  
that timing across all pubsub services for it to be of the same  
benefit.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade

---

From: "ChenGang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:20:49 +0800

Hello Dave,

I agree that is a way to advance such works in XSF.
The original motivation to put this effort in IETF is we would like to
implement XMPP-based solution conforming to RFC6120. 
We are not targeting to deploy pure XMPP pubsub solution. A lightweight &
XMPP CORE compatible solution is more preferred.
So, I think that is helpful to get comments from IETF community.

Many thanks

Gang

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cridland [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:32 PM
To: ChenGang; XMPP Working Group
Subject: Re: [xmpp] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chen-xmpp-pubsub-extension-00.txt

Dave.

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:16:48 +0100

> So, I think that is helpful to get comments from IETF community.

Well, first off, I have to say you should be considering some form of  
XEP-0060, even if it's a fairly lightweight profile. The deployment  
of PEP has basically proven that model works.

Secondly, I think you're after the same kind of technical solution as  
google:queue (and I hear there's other forms of that deployed as  
well).

I've a XEP written up for google:queue; I should really polish this  
off and submit.

Then we can use that as the basis for a standards-based, more  
rigorous solution.

You'd be more than welcome to join that effort, both the XSF and IETF  
constantly lack mobile expertise.

Dave