Subject: [xmpp] 6122bis: account registration policies

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:24:14 -0600

An XMPP server that allows account creation or user provisioning
essentially acts as a kind of "registrar" for the localparts of JIDs.
Therefore we might want to define recommended registration policies
(e.g., prohibit mixed-script localparts). Currently 6122bis points to
draft-ietf-precis-framework on this point, but the framework document
doesn't say much:

   1.  An application service SHOULD define a policy that specifies the
       scripts or blocks of characters that the service will allow to be
       registered (e.g., in an account name) or stored (e.g., in a file
       name).  Such a policy SHOULD be informed by the languages and
       scripts that are used to write registered account names; in
       particular, to reduce confusion, the service SHOULD forbid
       registration or storage of strings that contain characters from
       more than one script and to restrict registrations to characters
       drawn from a very small number of scripts (e.g., scripts that are
       well-understood by the administrators of the service, to improve
       manageability).

Do we think that is sufficient? Do we want to say something stronger
for XMPP account registration? And, if so, is 6122bis the right place
to put such a recommendation?

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/