Subject: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity

From: Shida Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:32:25 +0900

This is an announcement of XRBLOCK WG last call on 
"Measurement Identity and information Reporting using 
SDES item and XR Block" prior to requesting publication the 
document as a proposed standard. 

As there is Christmas, This is a two week working group last 
call so please send your comments to the list including nits 
by the 30th of December. 

 If you read the draft and you see no issues, concerns or nits, please 
express the fact that you have no issue progressing the draft on the 
list as well. 

 The latest version can be found here. 

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xrblock/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity/

 Thanks & Regards
   Shida Schubert (as WG chair)

---

From: "Rachel Huang(yihong)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:22:52 +0000

Hi, 

I support moving this work forward.
Here is a few nits that need to be fixed.
missing a space at "(metrics).However" in the section 1.
Also there are lots of place that have two spaces.

Best Regards!
Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Shida Schubert
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:32 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity

 Thanks & Regards

_______________________________________________
xrblock mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xrblock

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:16:26 -0800

(As an individual)

In addition the clarifications discussed with Qin in the list
previously, I have the following, mostly editorial, comments as well.

Section 1 contains a bulleted list of pieces of information contains in
the new SDES item and XR block. The first bullet is associated with the
SDES item and the rest are for the XR block. I think it would be better
to make this clear by relocating this information to later within
section 1 where the SDES item and XR block are discussed.

Section 1.2,
r/Metrics or SDES item/Metrics and SDES items
r/[PMOLFRAME][MONARCH]/[PMOLFRAME]and [MONARCH]

Section 1.3
r/not required in the same/not required to be in the same 
r/SDES item contain measurement/SDES item containing the measurement

Section 3, the length field is listed twice, "Each SDES
   packet has a fixed-length field for version, source count, packet
   type (PT), length as well as a variable-length field for the SDES
   item."
Removing the first occurrence of "length" should resolve the problem.

Section 3.1, the text reads, "Where the identifier is less than 32
   bits, the identifier SHOULD be mapped into the most significant bits
   of the field."
However, the actual field is defined as starting with the first 16 bits
of the first 32 bit word. Should this recommendation be reworked to
accommodate that?
       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |    APSI=TBD   |     length    |application specific identifier
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |   ....
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Section 4.2, in the text describing the block length, the value stated
should be 6, not 7.
I think this comment was made and accepted previously, but I am making
it here just in case.

Section 5.1,
r/assigns additional five SDES types/assigns one additional SDES type 

Cheers,
Charles
  
> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:32 PM
> To: [email-masked]
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xrblock/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identit
y/

---

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:31:25 +0800

Hi, Charles:
Thank for your careful review. I will fix these editorial comments in the update.
please see my replies inline.

Regards!
-Qin
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Shida Schubert" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:16 AM
Subject: Re: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity

> section 1 where the SDES item and XR block are discussed.

[Qin]: Okay.

> r/[PMOLFRAME][MONARCH]/[PMOLFRAME]and [MONARCH]

[Qin]: Okay.

> r/SDES item contain measurement/SDES item containing the measurement

[Qin]: Okay.

> Removing the first occurrence of "length" should resolve the problem.

[Qin]: Just to clarify, SDES packet contains 32bits packet header and variable-len SDES items. 
In 32 bits header, it includes fixed len(2 bits) "version" field, fixed len(5bits) "source count(SC)" field, fixed len(8bits) "packet type(PT)" field,
fixed len (16bits) "length" field. So I think "length" occurrence is not duplicated here.

> of the first 32 bit word. Should this recommendation be reworked to

[Qin]: I agree. The motivation to remove this recommendation early is to emphasize that
the application specific identifier is variable length field. So I propose to replace the old text:
"
  Where the identifier is less than 32
   bits, the identifier SHOULD be mapped into the most significant bits
   of the field.  If no additional identifier is provided, all bits of
   the field MUST be set to zero.  This item MUST be ignored by
   applications which are not configured to make use of it.

"
with the new text
"
The identifier is in variable length. The length field describes the length of the application specific identifier which does not include two octets 
SDES item header.  If no additional identifier is provided, the length field MUST be set to zero.  This item MUST be ignored by
 applications which are not configured to make use of it.

"
Does this address your concern?

[Qin]: Okay.

> r/assigns additional five SDES types/assigns one additional SDES type 

[Qin]: Okay.

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:41:50 -0800

Hi Qin,

Please see additional comments inline.

> From: Qin Wu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:31 PM
> To: Charles Eckel (eckelcu); Shida Schubert; [email-masked]
> In 32 bits header, it includes fixed len(2 bits) "version" field,
fixed len(5bits) "source count(SC)"
> field, fixed len(8bits) "packet type(PT)" field,

I see. I think it would be helpful if it worded a bit differently. How
about:

   "Each SDES packet is composed of a header with fixed-length fields
for version, source count, packet type (PT), and length, followed by
zero of more SDES items."

> The identifier is in variable length. The length field describes the
length of the application
> specific identifier which does not include two octets
> SDES item header.  If no additional identifier is provided, the length
field MUST be set to zero.
> This item MUST be ignored by

Yes, although I recommend the following change:

   "The identifier is variable length. Its length is described by the
length field.
    The value of the length field does not include the two octet SDES
item header.
    If no identifier is provided, the length field MUST be set to zero.
This item 
    MUST be ignored by applications that are not configured to make use
of it."

Cheers,
Charles

---

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:32:58 +0800

Hi, Charles:
I have removed the issues which don't need to further discussion.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Qin Wu" <[email-masked]>; "Shida Schubert" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:41 AM
Subject: RE: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity

[Qin]: Your proposed change looks good to me. Thanks.

[Qin]: Okay, I will use your rephased text, Thank again.

Cheers,
Charles