Subject: [xrblock] Review of draft-huang-xrblock-rtcp-xr-decodability-01

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:48:32 +0700

I have read this draft and have some comments.

The draft uses the pre-5378 trust boilerplate.  Is this really necessary?

There are many grammatical and spelling errors which harm the
understandability of the text.

Section 1 says "The new block type supports the reporting of consistency
of Transport Stream [ETSI]by checking TS header information."  The
reference doesn't make sense to me, since ETSI TR 101 290 discusses
measurement guidelines for DVB; should it really be referencing ISO 13818-1?

Section 3, paragraph 2 says:

   Note that this metric report block is not only applicable to MPEG-2
   transport streams[RFC2250],but also applicable to any other Transport
   Streams that adopt other audio and video codec.

Are there any examples of such things?

The report block contains data about some, but not all, of the
indicators listed in sections 5.2.1-5.2.3 of ETSI TR 101 290; it might
be helpful if the rationale for the omission of some indicators was
discussed, perhaps in the introduction.

I imagine that this document would be used by people who are at least
familiar with ETSI TR 101 290, so I suggest that the mapping between the
report block fields and the corresponding error indicators in the ETSI
spec might be made clearer.  Maybe use the same names?

Numerous references are unused, and out-of-date (for example,
draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework has been published as RFC 6390).

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 12:22:57 +0200

Hi,
I agree with most of Glen comments.
RFC2250 section 1 talk about 4 types of end systems. TR101 290 talks mainly
about Cable and Satellite. Here we are looking at transport over RTP/UDP
which may suffer from packet loss and not bit errors. I can see the need to
report base on TR101 290 for the transmitting interworking unit on the non
RTP side. As for the RTP side there may be other relevant metrics based on
RFC 2250 like the packaging (how many transport packets in an RTP packet)
Maybe some metrics about the TS stream can be reported that will provide
some quality numbers for RTP/UDP based transport like IPTV. 

I think that report on TS is important and would like to see more work done.

Regards
Roni Even

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Glen Zorn
> Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:49 PM
> To: xrblock
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [xrblock] Review of draft-huang-xrblock-rtcp-xr-decodability-
> 01
> 
> Section 1 says "The new block type supports the reporting of
> consistency of Transport Stream [ETSI]by checking TS header
> information."  The reference doesn't make sense to me, since ETSI TR
> 101 290 discusses measurement guidelines for DVB; should it really be
> referencing ISO 13818-1?
> 
> 
> familiar with ETSI TR 101 290, so I suggest that the mapping between
> the report block fields and the corresponding error indicators in the
> ETSI spec might be made clearer.  Maybe use the same names?
> 
> Numerous references are unused, and out-of-date (for example, draft-
> ietf-pmol-metrics-framework has been published as RFC 6390).
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xrblock mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xrblock