Subject: [xrblock] Protocol Action: 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Report (XR) Block for Delay metric Reporting' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-delay-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:53:08 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Report (XR) Block for Delay
   metric Reporting'
  (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-delay-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's
Extended Report Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-delay/

Technical Summary

This draft defines a new block type to augment those defined in
[RFC3611] for use in a range of RTP applications. The new block type
supports the reporting of the mean, minimum and maximum values of the
network round-trip delay between RTP interfaces in peer RTP end
systems as measured, for example, using the RTCP method described in
[RFC3550]. It also supports reporting of the component of the round-
trip delay internal to the local RTP system.

Working Group Summary

There were several points of debate within the working group; however,
none were particularly rough and authors and commentators came up
with the text that resolves any issues thus consensus was achieved in
all cases.

One issue that was discussed extensively during WGLC was the precision of
measurement in round trip delay (affecting mean/max/min) as well as permitted
delay of 1 second or more. After bringing in reference from other forum such as
Broadband Forum and ITU, WG agreed that delay of 1 seconds or more was
to be accommodated along with ability to come up with precision of microseconds
(1/65536 seconds) for measuring the delay.

Document Quality

This document has been reviewed by numerous people within
XRBLOCK and through two rounds of WGLCs the document
resolved any outstanding issues.

Personnel

Shida Schubert is the Document Shepherd.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the Responsible Area Director.