Subject: [xrblock] I-D Action: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:59:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's Extended Report Framework of the IETF.

        Title           : Considerations for Selecting RTCP Extended Report (XR) Metrics for the WebRTC Statistics API
        Authors         : Varun Singh
                          Rachel Huang
                          Roni Even
                          Dan Romascanu
                          Lingli Deng
	Filename        : draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2016-03-21

Abstract:
   This document describes monitoring features related to media streams
   in Web real-time communication (WebRTC).  It provides a list of RTCP
   Sender Report, Receiver Report and Extended Report metrics, which may
   need to be supported by RTP implementations in some diverse
   environments.  It also defines a new IANA registry, a list of
   identifiers for the WebRTC's statistics API.  These identifiers are a
   set of RTCP SR, RR, and XR metrics related to the transport of
   multimedia flows.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Varun Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:06:08 +0200

Hi all,

I updated the reference link and made the following recommendation
(based on the issue raised by Colin Perkins):

   In this document, we provide rationale for choosing additional RTP
   metrics for the WebRTC getStats() API [W3C.WD-webrtc-20150210].  The
   document also creates a registry containing identifiers from the
   metrics reported in the RTCP Sender, Receiver, and Extended Reports.
   All identifiers proposed in this document are RECOMMENDED to be
   implemented by an endpoint.  An endpoint MAY choose not to expose an
   identifier if it does not implement the corresponding RTCP Report.

I believe the document ought to make a stronger recommendation than OPTIONAL.
The document does provide enough rationale for implementing the additional
metrics.

Although, in the end I went with "SHOULD implement if the
corresponding XRBLOCK is implemented."

Feedback on the above proposal is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Varun

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:59 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xrblock mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xrblock

-- 
http://www.callstats.io