Subject: [xrblock] Document Action: 'Considerations for Selecting RTCP Extended Report (XR) Metrics for the WebRTC Statistics API' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:06:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Considerations for Selecting RTCP Extended Report (XR) Metrics for the
   WebRTC Statistics API'
  (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's
Extended Report Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcweb-rtcp-xr-metrics/

Technical Summary:

   This document describes monitoring features related to media streams 
   in Web real-time communication (WebRTC). It provides a list of RTCP 
   Sender Report, Receiver Report and Extended Report metrics, which 
   may need to be supported by RTP implementations in some diverse 
   environments. For each of the metrics proposed, the document provides 
   rational along with consideration when using them.

Working Group Summary:

   A lot of effort went into how to ensure proposed metrics are referenced 
   and used by WebRTC WG in W3C. There were no objection or questions 
   about the usefulness of the metrics proposed but more so about ensuring
   implementors are aware and take full advantage of the metrics.

   Initially a registry was agreed to be the right way forward but after much 
   debates, in order for better exposure to the implementing community, it 
   was agreed that metrics defined in IETF are to be added to the specification 
   within W3C and for this document to define initial proposed metrics along 
   with how to add/expose future metrics useful to the WebRTC WG and 
   surrounding community.

   The defined metrics here are already part of the W3C documents and the 
   metrics proposed to be used by WebRTC are implemented and used in the wild.

Personnel:

   The document shepherd is Shida Schubert. The responsible Area Director is
   Ben Campbell.