Subject: [yam] #24: Extension model in 5321

From: "yam issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 20:15:34 -0000

#24: Extension model in 5321

 Comment about RFC 5321 posted by John Klensin on 2 Aug 2011

 Although it hasn't been a source of significant discussion in
 YAM, as a start on that list, I note that we discovered in EAI
 that the description of the extension model in 5321 does not
 explicitly require that:

  -- A client MUST NOT assume the availability of an extension if the
 server doesn't announce it.

  -- Clients that wish to use an extension that the server does not
 announce MUST either (i) send the message in a form that does not require
 any features of that extension or (ii) abandon the SMTP session.
  -- If the particular extension provides for a client announcement that it
 is using a particular extension (such announcements can take many forms
 depending on the extension), the client MUST NOT send the announcement if
 the server does not announce support for the extension.  The server MUST
 NOT assume assume the extension is in use unless the client sends the
 announcement and MUST either
  (i) handle the message according to the rules in SMTP without the
 extension or
  (ii) reject the message.

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00722.html

-- 
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…                    |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                       |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                        |   Milestone:     
Component:  5321bis-smtp-pre-evaluation  |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                            |    Keywords:     
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/yam/trac/ticket/24>
yam <http://tools.ietf.org/yam/>