Subject: [yang-doctors] pyang warning for module name

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 14:52:14 -0700

Hi,

I submitted an update to yang-data-ext.yang and got a warning
that the module name needs to start with ietf- or iana-

[email-masked]:
pyang 1.7.3: pyang --verbose --ietf -p {libs} {model}:
/tmp/tmpdqJniM/[email-masked]:1: warning: RFC 6087: 4.1: the
module name should start with one of the strings "ietf-" or "iana-"

IMO the name and namespace should not be changed to ietf- until
the first draft-ietf-foo draft is done.

This guideline never really got discussed but what happens
if somebody submits an individual draft with an ietf- prefix.
Does that mean a WG cannot use that name ever, because
an I-D that did not get adopted already used it?  No.  It just
means there will be confusing duplicates floating around.

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:28:03 +0100 (CET)

> pyang 1.7.3: pyang --verbose --ietf -p {libs} {model}:
                               ^^^^^^

For individual drafts, this should probably just be "--lint".

> means there will be confusing duplicates floating around.

This should be discussed in 6087bis or 6087bisbis.

/martin