Subject: [yang-doctors] Fwd: IETF YANG model for TCP?

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 11:50:55 +0200

Hi,

Someone has a use case for a TCP YANG module and is interested to 
collaborate with Michael?
Or maybe we have someone similar internally.
If interested, I can make the introduction.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	IETF YANG model for TCP?
Date: 	Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:49:55 +0000
From: 	Scharf, Michael <[email-masked]>
To: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Hi Benoit,
I am reaching out to gauge interest in an IETF YANG model for TCP. While 
there are YANG models for many protocols, there is apparently no IETF 
YANG modeling work for TCP. For instance, an IETF TCP YANG model could 
be useful for network elements that implement TCP in the control plane 
or in the management plane.

An IETF YANG model for TCP would probably be homed in the TCPM working 
group, albeit TCPM has little experience in data models. Nonetheless, as 
a chair of TCPM, I believe it would be useful to discuss among TCP 
implementers whether an IETF TCP YANG model would make sense, and 
whether a vendor-neutral model would be doable. Both are open questions 
and it is possible that the answer is "no" (and "no" is actually my 
default answer).

If you are aware of persons (e.g., in Cisco) that may be interested in 
discussing these questions, please feel free to forward this e-mail. 
Please also feel free just to delete this e-mail.

I have submitted a small I-D to trigger a discussion in TCPM 
(https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-scharf-tcpm-yang-tcp-01.txt, presentation 
slide can be found at 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-tcpm-transmission-control-protocol-tcp-yang-model-00). 
As a TCP-MIB exists (RFC 4022), the document currently uses a YANG model 
auto-converted from the TCP-MIB as a starting point, albeit this has 
issues and updates would obviously be needed. As explained in the 
document, the scope of a model would need to be discussed, as well as 
many other questions.

The TCPM working group will only consider a document if there is 
significant support from major implementers, e.g., by reviewing or 
co-authoring the document. Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Michael

.

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:29:57 +0000

This request is covered.  Michael and I met in Prague about the collaboration discussed last week on the NETCONF list.  We have a plan to work out the long-term strategy for TCPM modeling effort.

Cheers,
Kent

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 5:50 AM, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Someone has a use case for a TCP YANG module and is interested to collaborate with Michael?
> From:	Scharf, Michael <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> To:	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi Benoit,
> I am reaching out to gauge interest in an IETF YANG model for TCP. While there are YANG models for many protocols, there is apparently no IETF YANG modeling work for TCP. For instance, an IETF TCP YANG model could be useful for network elements that implement TCP in the control plane or in the management plane.
> 
> An IETF YANG model for TCP would probably be homed in the TCPM working group, albeit TCPM has little experience in data models. Nonetheless, as a chair of TCPM, I believe it would be useful to discuss among TCP implementers whether an IETF TCP YANG model would make sense, and whether a vendor-neutral model would be doable. Both are open questions and it is possible that the answer is "no" (and "no" is actually my default answer).
> 
> If you are aware of persons (e.g., in Cisco) that may be interested in discussing these questions, please feel free to forward this e-mail. Please also feel free just to delete this e-mail.
> 
> I have submitted a small I-D to trigger a discussion in TCPM (https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-scharf-tcpm-yang-tcp-01.txt <https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-scharf-tcpm-yang-tcp-01.txt>, presentation slide can be found at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-tcpm-transmission-control-protocol-tcp-yang-model-00 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-tcpm-transmission-control-protocol-tcp-yang-model-00>). As a TCP-MIB exists (RFC 4022), the document currently uses a YANG model auto-converted from the TCP-MIB as a starting point, albeit this has issues and updates would obviously be needed. As explained in the document, the scope of a model would need to be discussed, as well as many other questions.
> 
> The TCPM working group will only consider a document if there is significant support from major implementers, e.g., by reviewing or co-authoring the document. Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome.
> 
> Thanks a lot!
> 
> Michael
> 
> .
> 
> _______________________________________________
> yang-doctors mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-doctors