Subject: [yang-doctors] Deprecated Nodes

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 14:44:02 +0000

When a client retrieves configuration for a device, should the deprecated nodes be included in the response? For example, using NETCONF get-config? I have my own interpretation of the answer but don’t want to bias the response from others.

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:56:35 +0200

I fear the answer to this seemingly simple question is not that
simple. The reason is that NETCONF supports different implementation
styles, RFC 6243 gives you an idea what can all happen if we just look
at defaults.

Personally, I consider only the 'explicit' basic mode reasonable: I
want the system to remember what I configure and I expect that the
server does not do automatic conversions on the fly unless I have
explicitely requested this. I want the server to return what I
configured without changes (ignoring canonicalization of value
representations).

Systems that implement other modes often do not recall what was
actually configured but instead they generate what might have been
configured from the current state of the system. On such a system, if
you have multiple leafs for the same object, say one current and the
other deprecated, it might return values for both leafs or only the
value for the current leaf. I do not think this is really regulated.
But systems not implementing 'explicit' basic mode are surprising in
general from a clients perspective, people who have to deal with them
may be used to surprising behavior.

/js

> _______________________________________________
> yang-doctors mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-doctors

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 11:11:18 +0000

Hi Acee,

In addition to Juergen’s comments, the text in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-verdt-netmod-yang-module-versioning/ may be interesting, particularly sections 3.1.1 and 5.3.

The long term aim here is to require that “status deprecated” nodes are implemented in the same way that they would be if they were “status current”, or otherwise the server must use explicit deviations to indicate any “status deprecated” nodes that are not implemented.

Thanks,
Rob

From: yang-doctors <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Acee Lindem (acee)
Sent: 08 August 2019 15:44
To: YANG Doctors <[email-masked]>
Subject: [yang-doctors] Deprecated Nodes

Thanks,
Acee