Subject: [16ng] Common set of the 16ng terminologies

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:26:02 +0900

Folks,

Here is a common set of the 16ng terms to be included
in the draft-ietf-16ng-ps-goals. For further terms that are 
specific to others document, they can be in that document. 

Any comments are highly welcome. If I am missing anything
that might be included in this common set, please let me know that. 

So far, thanks Raj for his good comments and feedbacks on that.

===================[BEGIN]====================

o Subscriber Station (SS): An end-user equipment that provides 
connectivity to the 802.16 networks. It can be either fixed/nomadic 
or mobile equipment. In mobile environment, SS represents the 
Mobile Subscriber Station (MS) introduced in IEEE 802.16e 
specification. 

o Base Station (BS): A generalized equipment sets providing 
connectivity, management, and control between the subscriber 
station and the 802.16 networks.

o Access Router (AR): An entity that performs an IP routing function 
to provide IP connectivity for subscriber station (SS or MS).

o IP Subnet: Topological area that uses the same IP address prefix
where that prefix is not further subdivided except into individual
addresses as specifed from [I-D.thaler-intarea-multilink-subnet-issues].
  
o  Link: Topological area bounded by routers which decrement the
IPv4 TTL or IPv6 Hop Limit when forwarding the packet as specifed
from [I-D.thaler-intarea-multilink-subnet-issues]. In case of IPv6
link model, refer to the [draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-link-model-analysis].
 
o Transport Connection: The MAC layer connection in 802.16 between 
a SS(MS) and BS with a specific QoS attributes. Several types of 
connections are defined and these include broadcast, unicast and multicast. 
Each transport connection is uniquely identified by a 16-bit connection 
identifier (CID). A transport connection is an unique connection intended 
for user traffic. The scope of the transport connection is between the 
SS(MS) and the BS.

o Dormant mode: A state in which a subscriber station, especially mobile 
station, restricts its ability to receive normal IP traffic by reducing monitoring 
of radio channels. This allows the mobile station to save power and reduces
signaling load on the 802.16 network. In the dormant mode, the mobile 
station is only listening at scheduled intervals to the paging channel. 
The 802.16 network (e.g. Access Router) maintains state about a mobile 
station which has transitioned to dormant mode and can page it when needed.

o Connection Identifier (CID): A 16-bit value that identifies a connection to 
equivalent peers in the 802.16 MAC of the SS(MS) and BS.

===================[END]====================

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.
_______________________________________________
16ng mailing list
[email-masked]
http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:00:33 -0600

Suggestion to rephrase base station as follows:

Base station (BS): The Base Station (BS) is a logical entity that embodies a
                   full instance of the 802.16d/e MAC and PHY in compliance
                   with the IEEE 802.16 suite of applicable standards.  It
                   provides the layer 1/2 connectivity between the network
                   and the MS.

Of course the above definition of base station is specific to an 802.16d/e
BS and not a generic base station. However in the context of a document that
is specific to 802.16d/e, it makes sense to specify what the base-station
refers to.

Other comments inline:

> station which has transitioned to dormant mode and can page it when needed.

In .16 there is no concept of a paging channel. So the above may cause
confusion. The DL-MAP contains the page for an MS. Basically the MS in idle
mode scans periodically for the DL broadcast paging and thus is able to save
power. I am not sure what you mean when you say it reduces signaling load
above. 

> equivalent peers in the 802.16 MAC of the SS(MS) and BS.

You may also want to add that connections are unidirectional in nature. For
bidirectional communication, a connection pair is created and the same value
assigned for the UL and DL connection.

-Raj

---

From: "Soohong Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:21:42 +0900

> is specific to 802.16d/e, it makes sense to specify what the base-station

In fact, I was trying to avoid taking any 16d/e/... specific terms in
here. I am afraid how to deal with 16 extension later (e.g.,
16j/k/m/...). Is there any concern ?

<snip>

> power. I am not sure what you mean when you say it reduces signaling load

The dormant mode above was just from the
draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-link-model-analysis. While mentioning the dormant
mode in 16 networks, paging is also illustrated together. But, I am
not sure whether or not we would have paging term in the common set of
16ng terms. For more general, I'd rephrase here.

[CHANGE TO]

Dormant mode: A state in which a SS(MS) restricts its ability to
receive normal IP traffic by reducing monitoring of radio channels.
Especially, this allows the MS to save power. The 802.16 network (e.g.
Access Router) maintains state about the MS which has transitioned to
dormant mode and can page it when needed.

> assigned for the UL and DL connection.

Do we need elaborate on the CID more ?

--

---

From: "Soohong Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:38:35 +0900

Raj,

> Well maybe you can just say 802.16 or 802.16 [d/e/...] which would cover
> future revisions of .16. But instead of worrying about the evolution of .16,
> we can take a snapshot of what a BS is as it is understodod today and which
> is relevant to .16d/e.

That makes sense to me at this stage. Ok, let's move it on unless any
explicit arguments appear on the list.

> Well.. Adding the additional two sentences would make the concept of CID
> clearer.

[CHANGE TO]

o Connection Identifier (CID):  A 16-bit value that identifies a
connection to equivalent peers in the 802.16 MAC of the SS(MS) and BS.
The connections are unidirectional in nature. For bidirectional
communication, the connection pair is created and the same value
assigned for the UL (Up Link) and DL (Down Link) connection.

--