Subject: [16ng] WG Adoption : draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

From: "Soohong Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:02:15 +0900

Hi folks,

During the meeting today, we had consensus that the Transmission of IP
Packets over Ethernet over IEEE 802.16 would be accepted as a WG
draft.

The relevant WG deliverables are described in our charter:

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet
CS" to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over
IEEE 802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and
Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed
Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet
CS" to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over
IEEE 802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration
(DHCPv4), Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

The latest version of this document can be found at:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01.txt

NOTE: Both IPv4 and IPv6 are merged into the one document following
the WG consensus and AD's approval.

Unless there are any strong objections from the ML, we'll ask the
author to publish the next version as a WG I-D.

Thanks,

Gabriel & Daniel
Chairs, 16NG Working Group
_______________________________________________
16ng mailing list
[email-masked]
http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: "David Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:20:33 -0800

Comments on draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01...

A little cleanup. Change
3.
   Service-specific Convergence Sublayer (CS):  Sublayer in the IEEE
802.16
      MAC layer which classifiers external network data and associates
      them to the proper MAC service flow identifier and connection
      identifier

7.1 s/feeded/fed/

7.1 I don't understand the text mandating unicasting to the SS. I think
it is ambiguous as to which layers address with unicast addresses and
which address with multicast addresses. There are 3 that matter.
1) The 802.16 MAC CPS, that has unicast and multicast CIDs.  
2) The 802.3 CS service that carries unicast, broadcast and multicast 48
bit MAC addresses
3) The IP layer that carries unicast, broadcast and multicast v4 and v6
addresses.

Which of these is being constrained to be unicast? (1) is already
constrained by text earlier in the document.

Broadcast IP traffic should be carried on a broadcast MAC address over a
unicast connection. 802.1D specifies the meaning of a point-to-point LAN
in the context of bridging and 802.16k specifies that a pair of
communicating 802.16 CSs are in fact such a point-to-point LAN. So this
text perhaps should specify that all IP traffic, regardless of address
type is carried over Ethernet packets that are carried over unicast CIDs
at the 802.16 MAC CPS sublayer.

DJ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Soohong Daniel
Park
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [16ng] WG Adoption :
draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Hi folks,

The latest version of this document can be found at:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80
216-01.txt

Thanks,

Gabriel & Daniel