Subject: Re: use of fixed/nomadic term (was: [16ng] Common set of the 16ng terminologies)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:09:53 +0100

Soohong Daniel Park wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> Here is a common set of the 16ng terms to be included in the 
> draft-ietf-16ng-ps-goals. For further terms that are specific to 
> others document, they can be in that document.
> 
> Any comments are highly welcome. If I am missing anything that might 
> be included in this common set, please let me know that.
> 
> So far, thanks Raj for his good comments and feedbacks on that.
> 
> ===================[BEGIN]====================
> 
> o Subscriber Station (SS): An end-user equipment that provides 
> connectivity to the 802.16 networks. It can be either fixed/nomadic 
> or mobile equipment. In mobile environment, SS represents the Mobile 
> Subscriber Station (MS) introduced in IEEE 802.16e specification.

Hi Daniel, here's some comments on my reading of the fixed/nomadic term.
  I may be alone not really understanding fixed/mobile for IPv6.

In one sense, saying either fixed/nomadic makes think that one wants to
say either fixed _or_ nomadic.  But that slash, or divide sign, doesn't
  make think of the _or_ operation, it makes think of fixed over nomadic,
or maybe fixed _and_ nomadic.  It could better be expressed as
fixed-nomadic, note the dash.

I've noticed the use of fixed/nomadic term by telecom operators
advertising a unique handset that would be able to work at home as a
normal fixed landline handset (e.g. with DECT) at the same time it can
be taken out of home and used as a nomadic cell-phone.  In both cases
the handset is wireless (no wire) but uses different frequencies  when
fixed or when nomadic.  Also, the equipment is concerned about voice
calls and agenda sharing.  Also, the advertised fixed/nomadic equipments
wouldn't run Mobile IPv6.

What does fixed/nomadic term mean in case of mobility?  Is a fixed DECT
phone mobile?  Yes, one can move within a large house and even in the
garden.  Is a nomadic phone mobile?  Yes, and it can even _roam_ across
continents.

What does fixed/nomadic term mean in case of IPv6?  Is it that an IPv6
fixed equipment runs DHCPv6 and that an IPv6 nomadic equipment runs
Mobile IPv6?  Is it that a fixed/nomadic IPv6 equipment runs a special
set of IPv6 protocols?

What does fixed/nomadic term mean in case of 802.16?  Is it that an SS
is fixed and than an MS is nomadic?

Would IPv6 over IPv6CS run differently on a 802.16 equipment that is
fixed, than on an equipment that is nomadic.

I really can't find the necessity of the use of the term fixed/nomadic.

That's why I think the above SS definition would read better as below,
remark the removal of term nomadic:
> o Subscriber Station (SS): An end-user equipment that provides 
> connectivity to the 802.16 networks. It can be either fixed or mobile
>  equipment. In mobile environment, SS represents the Mobile
> Subscriber Station (MS) introduced in IEEE 802.16e specification.

What do you think?

Alex

_______________________________________________
16ng mailing list
[email-masked]
http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng