Subject: [16NG] 16ng terms

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:22:37 +0900

To 16ng folks, 

Here is a set of the 16ng terms. Please refer to this whenever
drafting your thought within the 16ng. It is also applied
for the existing documents as well. It will be included
in the PS document. 

==========================================================

o Subscriber Station (SS): An end-user equipment that provides 
connectivity to the 802.16 networks. It can be either fixed/nomadic 
or mobile equipment. In mobile environment, SS represents the 
Mobile Subscriber Station (MS) introduced in IEEE 802.16e 
specification. 

o Base Station (BS): A generalized equipment sets providing 
connectivity, management, and control between the subscriber 
station and the 802.16 networks.

o Access Router (AR): An entity that performs an IP routing function 
to provide IP connectivity for subscriber station (SS or MS).

o IP Subnet: Topological area that uses the same IP address prefix
where that prefix is not further subdivided except into individual
addresses as specifed from [I-D.thaler-intarea-multilink-subnet-issues].
  
o  Link: Topological area bounded by routers which decrement the
IPv4 TTL or IPv6 Hop Limit when forwarding the packet as specifed
from [I-D.thaler-intarea-multilink-subnet-issues]. In case of IPv6
link model, refer to the [draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-link-model-analysis].
 
o Transport Connection: The MAC layer connection in 802.16 between 
a SS(MS) and BS with a specific QoS attributes. Several types of 
connections are defined and these include broadcast, unicast and
multicast. Each transport connection is uniquely identified by a 16-bit 
connection identifier (CID). A transport connection is an unique 
connection intended for user traffic. The scope of the transport 
connection is between the SS(MS) and the BS.

o Dormant mode: A state in which a subscriber station, especially 
mobile station, restricts its ability to receive normal IP traffic by 
reducing monitoring of radio channels. This allows the mobile station
to save power and reduces signaling load on the 802.16 network.
In the dormant mode, the mobile station is only listening at scheduled 
intervals to the paging channel. The 802.16 network (e.g. Access 
Router) maintains state about a mobile station which has transitioned 
to dormant mode and can page it when needed.

o Connection Identifier (CID): A 16-bit value that identifies a connection 
to equivalent peers in the 802.16 MAC of the SS(MS) and BS.

o EthernetCS: It means 802.3/Ethernet CS specific part of the Packet 
CS defined in 802.16 STD.

o 802.1QCS: It means 802.1Q (VLAN) specific part of the Packet CS 
defined in 802.16 STD.

o IPv4CS: It means IPv4 specific part of the Packet CS defined in 802.16 STD.

o IPv6CS: It means IPv6 specific part of the Packet CS defined in 802.16 STD.

=========================================================

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.

_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng