Subject: [6lo] 6lo BOF proposal and proposed charter: In favor

From: Anders Brandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:28:05 +0000

Carsten, et. al. ,

I support the creation of a "6lo" WG with the proposed charter and intend to participate in a BOF in Berlin, should it happen.

Thanks,
  Anders Brandt

=========================================================================

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org>
To: "6lo at ietf.org" <6lo at ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:44:12 +0200
List-id: "Mailing list for discussion of a WG for Internet Area issues in IPv6 over constrained node networks." <6lo.ietf.org>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Welcome again to the 6Lo mailing list.

We now have 62 email addresses on the list.

Most of you will have read the 6Lo list announcement message:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg11531.html

Please do reread it if you wonder about the objectives of this mailing
list, and why it might be a good idea to create a working group
focusing on Internet Area issues in IPv6 over constrained node
networks.

Work is ongoing in this field.  Some of the drafts listed in the above
message have been updated since the list was made (including lowpanz,
ghc, and alfi, as well as the roadmap), and, just yesterday, yet
another new draft was posted that might be of interest:
draft-raza-6lowpan-ipsec-00.txt.

I would now like to start the discussion of a potential 6Lo charter
with some draft text snippets for what the WG will do.
Introductory text, as well as some boilerplate, can be added later.

The charter is the document that focuses the WG on a specific subject
area, and we should be careful to make that focus neither too narrow
nor too wide.  There are a number of other activities in constrained
node networks in the IETF, most of which happens in other IETF areas,
and it is much better to interface with this work than to give the
impression there will be unclear boundaries and overlap.  We also want
to focus on work that the IETF is good in.  So this is not a shopping
list, but on the other hand, if something is missing, we need to add
it, and if something is unclear, we need to fix it.

Grüße, Carsten

6Lo focuses on INT area work that is needed for constrained node networks.
Specifically, it is working on
-- adaptation layer specifications for link layer technologies of
   interest in constrained node networks;
-- related MIBs;
-- common infrastructure specification such as header compression
   specific to constrained node networks;
-- maintenance and informational documents required for the existing
   IETF specifications in this space.

6Lo will work closely with the 6man working group, which will continue
to work on IP-over-foo documents outside the constrained node network
space and will continue to be the focal point for IPv6 maintenance.
For adaptation layer specifications that do not have implications on
IPv6 architecture, 6man will be notified about 6Lo's working group
last call.  Specifications that might have such an impact (e.g., by
using IPv6 addresses in a specific way or by introducing new ND
options) will be closely coordinated with 6man, and/or specific parts
will be fanned out to 6man documents.
Beyond 6man, 6Lo will also coordinate with LWIG and INTAREA.

6Lo works on small, focused pieces of INT area work.  6Lo does not
take on larger cross-layer efforts (such as the 6TSCH work under
discussion).  The working group will continue to reuse existing
protocols and mechanisms whenever reasonable and possible.

Security and management work that is not specific to the link layers
being worked on is out of scope.  6Lo will coordinate closely with the
working groups in other areas that focus on constrained node networks,
such as today ROLL (RTG) and CoRE (APP), and appropriate groups in the
IETF OPS and Security areas including potential future groups spawned
from efforts such as COMAN and SOLACE.