Subject: [6lo] draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment (was Re: Focusing the charter)

From: Richard Kelsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:51:00 -0400

> From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:21:22 -0700
>
> [...]
>
> I am a bit concerned about
> draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment, which I remember
> I read when it was posted on the MANET mailing list. There were
> some review comments that the same functionality could be
> achieved with RFC6130 (NHDP). It may need further discussions
> to see if there is a unique use case and if it's the best way
> to achieve what is intended.

There was some confusion with the reviewers about the purpose
of the draft, in particular that the link establishment operates
below the routing layer.  I updated the draft to make this clearer.
Here is the current abstract:

   This document defines the mesh link establishment (MLE) protocol for
   establishing and configuring secure radio links in IEEE 802.15.4
   radio mesh networks.  MLE extends IEEE 802.15.4 for use in multihop
   mesh networks by adding three capabilities: 1) dynamically
   configuring and securing radio links, 2) enabling network-wide
   changes to radio parameters, and 3) detecting neighboring devices.
   MLE operates below the routing layer, insulating it from the details
   of configuring, securing, and maintaining individual radio links
   within a larger mesh network.

Please send me any comments.

                                   -Richard Kelsey
This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication.  

Thank you.