Subject: [6lowpan] 6lowpan ND joint-work goals

From: "Samita Chakrabarti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:14:09 -0700

Hi All:

Since we are starting to work on the combined ND solution for 6lowpan,
as one of the members of the ad-hoc ND team, I thought it would be
very useful to verify our solution guidelines with the working group.
I am starting with a few bullet points, please check if that meets our
(6lowpan wg) requirements. Please feel free to suggest modification
when it makes sense.

ND Design goals:

* Neighbor discovery using IPv6 ND protocol or its variant
* The solution will use unicast/anycast messages to reduce mulitcast
* The solution should look into minimizing number of total ND messages
*  Initial boot-strapping information and fault-tolerance should be
addressed if possible
* This solution must provide methods for IPv6 address allocation in
6lowpan nodes
* Define a link that serves 6lowpan common deployment
* The design should work with mesh-under(L2) and route-over(L3) routing
* The design should be scalable for adding new nodes into the network
* The solution should also keep in mind that 6lowpan is a low bW network
* The ND design  may not necessarily address mobility in boot-strapping
   and address assignment, but it may be extendable to address
mobility in future.
* The design will use IPv6 auto-configuration as the main method for
address assignment; however stateful address configuration will also
be considered

Thanks,
-Samita
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:50:23 +0300

Hi Geoff,

At least in my opinion that covers it well, but I think we are fishing 
for others from the WG to comment. Sorry Geoff, you weren't CCd on my 
earlier e-mail to the ND team with the first draft and request for 
comments to proceed. I will forward it to you now.

I am now collecting comments on the assumptions and outline of the 
draft, and then we have some action points to continue with the work. 
Also split up the work initially, Samita has the goals section e.g.

- Zach

Geoff Mulligan wrote:
> So is this correct?  Did Samita summarize the guidelines correctly.
> 
> What is the plan for the design team.
> 
> 	geoff
> 
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:14 -0700, Samita Chakrabarti wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>

-- 

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti
FINLAND

mobile: +358 40 7796297

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain 
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, 
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without 
producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:47:58 -0600

geoff

---

From: "Chol Su Kang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:17:57 -0700

Hi Samita,

I have questions on 
> * Define a link that serves 6lowpan common deployment

Has there been any discussion on this 6lowpan common deployment link?

Chol Su Kang

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Geoff Mulligan
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 2:48 PM
To: Samita Chakrabarti
Cc: [email-masked]; 6lowpan
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] 6lowpan ND joint-work goals

	geoff

---

From: Jonathan Hui <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:53:04 -0700

We did have a lengthy discussion on this topic of an IP link. The  
issue we focused on was more about whether an IP link spans a single  
radio hop or multiple radio hops. We've come to a conclusion that it  
is useful to support both scenarios in the ND solution, and we think  
there's a way to do it using a unified solution that makes minimal  
assumptions of the mechanisms provided by layer 2. The key when  
supporting an IP link that covers multiple radio hops is to avoid  
multicast.

--
Jonathan Hui