Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Implementing the 6lowpan

From: "swaytha sasi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:57:48 +0200

Dear Messieurs,

I want to implement the 6lowpan protocol.I downloaded the code from the
CVS,had the lowpan stack running on a mote assigned a mote id, the base
station connected to the pc which had the serial_tunneller running. But the
mote(program) does not reply to ping6 messages.Infact there is no reception
of any message at the base station.Can someone guide me as to where I may be
going wrong.Before I go into the code I want to run the program as is.

Thanking you,
Zvay.
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Peter Kuhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:34:07 +0200

Hi All,

Why is IPv6 "Hop Limit" header obligatory in 6loWPAN?
Considering that there is "Hops Left" field in mesh header and hop
limits don't have any meaning it you don't do mesh.

Cheers,
Peter

---

From: Jonathan Hui <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:47:59 -0700

Hop limits still have some meaning even if you plan to communicate  
over a single IP hop.

However, you are right that there are many cases where we can compress  
the Hop Limit field. We do expect that there will be common values for  
the Hop Limit especially when you are doing layer 2 forwarding in the  
LoWPAN network. We are working on a new compression format that  
provides the option to compress the Hop Limit field as well as a bunch  
of other improvements.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hui-6lowpan-hc-01

--
Jonathan Hui