Subject: [6lowpan] I-D of interest to this list - Zigbee Application Protocol over UDP/IP, including 6LoPWAN

From: "David Culler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:04:02 -0700

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tolle-cap-00
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Kris Pister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:08:45 -0700

Nice.  The beginning of the end for the Zigbee network stack.  Few will 
mourn it's passing.

ksjp

David Culler wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Joe Polastre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:15:34 -0700

David and Gil,

  Is there any possibility of working with the Zigbee Alliance to
allow alternate networking (namely 6lowpan) underneath the Zigbee
Application Protocol in future revisions of the Zigbee Specification?
This would be the biggest win for customers, since the IETF
informational draft you sent describes a fork of the Zigbee
Specification.  While technically this makes quite a bit of sense, it
will only add additional confusion to multitude of networking options
that customers and integrators are struggling to understand.

-Joe

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Kris Pister <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ________________________________

---

From: Gilman Tolle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:31:07 -0700

Hi Joe,

The draft is there to get people thinking about a way to use IP as a  
technical solution to some of the interoperability issues that are  
arising in the space. If folks in the ZigBee Alliance are interested  
in including the idea in their specification, I'd be happy to work  
with the them.

Gil

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:52:50 +0100

Kris,

Some points to consider here. I should add these are my personal views
and do not necessarily represent the official views of the ZigBee
Alliance.

1) It is easy to write a specification. Taking a specification,
developing and
refining it and getting a large number of real-world implementers to
join
together in an alliance to develop and test products based on the
specification
to produce stable, interoperable products, in conjunction with a
concerted
marketing activity to promote such work is a huge undertaking and
should not be
underestimated.

2) The fact that this draft has been developed suggests that value is
seen in
the work done by the ZigBee Alliance to develop the application
profiles.

3) There are a number of potential models to enable IP connectivity in
low
power wireless networks, each with their advantages and disadvantages,
which in
turn present their own suitability to low power wireless networks with
distinct
properties. Ideally a technology which can support all models would be
developed. The ZigBee Alliance recognises this and has an IP
connectivity task
group to look at these models.

4) There is a strong and ever growing demand for low power
wireless networks in a number of key markets, for example, what is
generally
known as the 'Smart Grid'. Products using ZigBee’s Smart Energy
profile have been selected by a large number of utilities to provide
intelligent wireless Demand and Response and Energy Management
solutions. I don't think anyone would disagree that we would all
benefit from
collaboration between the ongoing efforts to produce technology which
is
prolific and usable.

So I personally welcome this input and look upon it as a vindication
that there
is a desire to converge efforts for the benefit of the technology as a
whole.

Robert Cragie,

Chair, IP Connectivity Task Group, ZigBee Alliance

--

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer

_______________________________________________________________

Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK

http://www.jennic.com
Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655

_______________________________________________________________

Kris Pister wrote:

ksjp

David Culler wrote:

--
Robert Cragie, Design Engineer

Direct: +44 (0) 114 281 4512
_______________________________________________________________
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
http://www.jennic.com Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655 Confidential
_______________________________________________________________