Subject: [6lowpan] #80: Reference to RFC1982 for version number comparison

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:22:04 -0000

#80: Reference to RFC1982 for version number comparison
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  trivial             |   Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Comment from Daniel for improving Section 8.1.3:

 Daniel: I was reading the RPL spec and noticed they reference RFC 1982 to
 explain the serial arithmetic that is used for version number calculation.
 The RFC contains a very clear explanation including the corner cases.  A
 reference to RFC 1982 instead of TCP would make the ND draft clearer and
 the last paragraph of section 8.1.3 could be removed.

 Erik: The only difference is for the case when the old and new differ by
 half the space (0x80000000) in which case I put some explicit words in the
 last para, and RFC 1982 says that the result of the comparison is
 undefined. I think we can handle that while referring to RFC 1982 by
 saying "if the version number received in the packet is greater than the
 stored version number (following RFC 1982 section x-y)" which would be
 well-defined for all cases.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/80>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>