Subject: [6lowpan] #75: Detecting if a network is managed (DHCPv6) or using DAD

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:39:12 -0000

#75: Detecting if a network is managed (DHCPv6) or using DAD
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Several threads on the mailing list have brough up the problem of how 6LNs
 know how the LoWPAN is configured, does it support DHCPv6, is DAD enabled
 etc. This is caused by different assumptions about how uniform a network
 is. The following text is proposed to clarify the configuration of a
 LoWPAN using the M flag of RAs.

 "In order to preserve the uniqueness of addresses not derived from an
 EUI64, they must be either assigned or checked for duplicates in the same
 way throughout the LoWPAN. A 6LN determines how a network is configured by
 the M flag in an RA. If the M flag is set, the network is managed using
 DHCPv6, and this mechanism MUST be used to assign non-EUI64 addresses. If
 the M flag is not set, then the 6LRs and 6LBRs in that network MUST
 provide duplicate address detection (uniformly) using the mechanism of
 Section 8.2 or any other protocol developed for that purpose."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/75>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:21:46 -0000

#75: Detecting if a network is managed (DHCPv6) or using DAD
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |        Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |      Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by zach@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 - Assumption and M flag rules now added to nd-10.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/75#comment:1>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>