Subject: Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-cri teria?

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:21:34 -0500

--On Tuesday, 25 November, 2008 00:22 -0500 Dale Worley
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 11:35 -0800, Tony Li wrote:
>> Or do we finally align ourselves with the UN and then ask for
>> diplomatic visas?
> 
> Hmmm, I seem to remember that the networking part of the UN is
> the International Telecommunications Union (itu.int), and
> especially ITU-T, formerly known as CCITT.  I'm sure that if
> we become part of CCITT, the UN will recognize us.

"Recognize"?  Sure.  As in "I recognize you, and you are a
....".  In that sense, ITU-T has recognized the IETF for many
years.

But one doesn't get UN travel documents --documents of the
variety needed to get diplomatic visas -- to attend meetings.
One gets them only if one is an employee of a UN body at a rank
at least sufficient to qualify for "international civil servant"
status.

I note that there is one other way to eliminate the visa
problem, and that is to have the government in whose country the
meeting will be held as an active sponsor of the meeting and, as
a sponsor, issue letters of instruction to their consulates
about visa-issuance procedures for that meeting.  That does
happen -- it has been done for IGF meetings and, if I recall, a
few ICANN ones and maybe even an IETF meeting.  But it is rare
and I think would regret asking for and getting official
government sponsorship for our meetings.

     john

_______________________________________________
73attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/73attendees