Subject: [77attendees] Bar BOF: Impact of NAT444 (etc) on content providers

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:03:24 +1300

Bar BOF: Impact of NAT444 (and IPv4 exhaustion in general) on content providers

Day:  Tuesday March 23
Time: 17:30
Room: Pacific B

Inspired by some remarks of Lorenzo Colitti (Google) at the recent
APRICOT/APNIC meeting in Kuala Lumpur, we plan to discuss the value
of a short draft aimed *specifically* at content providers, to describe
the impact on them and their customers if many of those customers are
trapped behind double IPv4 NAT (NAT444). Most likely, the scope
will include other IPv4 exhaustion effects on content providers too.

Clearly the issues are not news, but they tend to be described in complex
general drafts, or mixed in with proposed solutions or alternatives to double NAT.

Quoting Lorenzo: "...it would be
good to put together an IETF draft that very concisely lists the problems of
NAT444 from the content provider perspective. For example: worse geolocation
for targeted advertising and streaming content restrictions; higher latency;
IP blocking for abuse/spam causing collateral damage, etc."

(Also see http://www.isoc.org/educpillar/resources/docs/ipv6_200905.pdf)

The bar BOF agenda is to decide whether to proceed with such a draft and
if so, to identify the people who will write it and the target date.

Highly relevant existing documents include:

 draft-ford-shared-addressing-issues-02.txt
 draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues-03.txt

Drafts that touch on the topic in one way or another include:

 draft-nishitani-cgn-04.txt
 draft-shirasaki-nat444-01.txt
 draft-shirasaki-nat444-isp-shared-addr-03.txt
 draft-shirasaki-isp-shared-addr-04.txt
 draft-davies-reusable-ipv4-address-block-00.txt
 draft-boucadair-port-range-02.txt
 draft-ymbk-aplusp-05.txt
 draft-thaler-port-restricted-ip-issues-00.txt

Someone asked: "Other than reviewing the messages on this thread AND the list of
documents you posted earlier, is there any other recommended homework that I
should consider?"

Suggestions welcome, but that's all I've got.

     Brian Carpenter
     (whose only commitment is to make the bar BOF happen)