Subject: [77attendees] Who holds the AD Serving Record

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 03:27:24 +0100

Hi,

after having celebrated long-term serving ADs in the Wed plenary I am
just curious
who holds actually the record for the longest serving term as AD?

Cheers,
Mehmet

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:56:15 -0700

> who holds actually the record for the longest serving term as AD?

Great question!
A quick "sort | uniq -c | sort -n" on
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/past-members.html

says:

...
  15 Bush, Randy	Operations & Management
  16 Faltstrom, Patrik	Applications
  19 Bradner, Scott	Transport
  21 Wijnen, Bert	Operations & Management
  22 Reynolds, Joyce	User Services
  25 Narten, Thomas	Internet
  28 Schiller, Jeff	Security

... and the winner is:

  30 Mankin, Allison	Transport

The number in front essentially says at how many IETFs the given person was AD in the given area, so divide by three for years.
I didn't correct for errors such as different spellings (and there are such errors).

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:26:53 -0700

Carsten,

Your methodology failed to account for 12 meetings of Scott Bradner as  
ops area AD. I think Scott wins by one meeting (but Scott and Allison  
are effectively tied at 10 years each).

   Bill

On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:56 PM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The number in front essentially says at how many IETFs the given  
> person was AD in the given area, so divide by three for years.
> _______________________________________________
> 77attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/77attendees

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:38:37 -0700

On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:26, Bill Fenner wrote:

> failed to account for 12 meetings of Scott Bradner as ops area AD.

But that is a different AD :-)
(You also have to add in their IPNG AD periods, all of which were in parallel to their other AD-ships, IIRC.)

Let's just agree that both were great as ADs, each in their own way.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:46:19 -0700

Allison was an AD back when we had four IETF meetings a year. But I don't mind her holding the title.

> I didn't correct for errors such as different spellings (and there are such errors).

http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:39:29 -0700

Now the next question, of course, is: 
who holds the record for serving as a WG chair to the same WG the longest time?

Unfortunately, there is no single webpage that could be scraped for that information.

Joerg Ott just became a free man again (went dotless) after continuously (co-)chairing mmusic for 13 years.

Can you top that?

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: "StJohns, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:08:20 -0500

Allison may have had the most meetings as Transport AD, but she didn't
have the most continuous meetings - she had a break in service at some
point.  I believe Jeff Schiller still holds the record for longest
continuous.

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:09:21 -0500

I meant to send this earlier this morning, but ...

Scott (and Bert, and Alex) also spent a few years as "pseudo ADs" for the 
SubIP "pseudo area" - "pseudo ADs" because they were already sitting ADs 
serving other areas. Scott was 2001 to 2003.

I think Scott would get credit for having to herd cats for a huge influx of 
IETF newcomers with their IPOs riding on their technologies being part of a 
standard (rather than saying "oh, but he was already serving as an AD, so 
doesn't count" :-)

I'm remembering mutiple 2.5-hour meeting slots per IETF with new 
presentations every 7 minutes (without going back to verify this), so if you 
measure "AD serving record" by the metric "number of -00 draft presentations 
s/he sat through", it may not even be close!

Spencer

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:17:14 -0500

I believe that I remember Ralph (dhc) saying "now it's me" when Steve Casner 
stepped down (from avt).

I never saw a web page that I could figure that out from (and the 
proceedings that you'd have to look at to answer that from looking at 
proceedings include the early years that now exist only as PDFs of scanned 
images of proceedings, so scraping those pages would earn you extra credit).

Spencer

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:06:17 +1300

I think we need to add Phill Gross to the list; he served
as IETF chair for many years, acting as General Area AD
even though there was no General Area officially at the time.

He served 1986-1994, which doesn't give him the record,
but puts him in the list.

   Brian

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:28:36 -0700

There is also 
http://www.arkko.com/tools/admeasurements/stat/adterm_4.html, runs on 
data collected from various sources, not sure about the validity of the 
source data...

And then there is 
http://www.arkko.com/tools/admeasurements/stat/completeddocsall_2.html 
which looks at how many docs these ADs have processed, not the length of 
their service. Allison is in the clear lead. This data is however only 
valid for the time that records have been kept. Before the datatracker 
we didn't know which AD handled which RFC.

Jari

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:50:21 -0700

I formed the dhc WG with Phill Gross in 1989 (IETF 13, Cocoa Beach),  
and served continuously as chair (or co-chair) until I stepped down in  
2009 on the 20th anniversary of the first meeting.

- Ralph

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:39 AM 3/25/10, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> Joerg Ott just became a free man again (went dotless) after  
> continuously (co-)chairing mmusic for 13 years.
>
> Can you top that?
>
> Gruesse, Carsten
>

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:59:47 -0700

That explains a lot ;-)

On Mar 25, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Ralph Droms wrote:

> I formed the dhc WG with Phill Gross in 1989 (IETF 13, Cocoa Beach), and served continuously as chair (or co-chair) until I stepped down in 2009 on the 20th anniversary of the first meeting.
> 
> - Ralph
>

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:38:05 -0500

Apparently I need to get out more. I haven't spent much time in RTG but have 
now been reminded of IDR, with Sue Hares who has been chair for, roughly, 
ever, and Yakov Rekhter , who Sue thanked as her mentor when he stepped down 
as co-chair, because he had been there longer than Sue :-)

I think when you have been WG chair for so many years that you can't close 
the closet door where you store your IETF t-shirts, "longest" may take on a 
surreal quality!

Who else did I miss?

Spencer, who is one of the newest WG chairs, after MARTINI was chartered in 
December  ;-)

>I believe that I remember Ralph (dhc) saying "now it's me" when Steve 
>Casner stepped down (from avt).
>