Subject: Re: [77attendees] IETF77 network question

From: Ning Zong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:10:02 -0800

Hi, Spencer,

I can use WiFi (SSID: IETF, Signal Strength: Very Good, No log-on page) in my Hilton ROOM.

BR,
Ning Zong
  
======= At 2010-03-20, 07:56:09 you wrote: =======

>Just checking - are we expecting to be using the Hilton wireless 
>infrastructure this week, or our own?
>
>Spencer 
>
>_______________________________________________
>77attendees mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/77attendees

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
			
Ning Zong
[email-masked]
2010-03-20

---

From: David Dugal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:24:18 -0700

I've been connected to the IETF Wi-Fi network since I arrived as well.
I was actually surprised that no authentication or authorization was in
use.  I got a pretty glossy from the hotel stating that I'd have to
enter a "promotional code" but got right in.

What's keeping the other guests at the hotel from bypassing the
US$14/day "Business Bundle" and using the IETF network during their stay?

- ---
David G. Dugal                           Support: +1-408-745-9500
Security Incident Response Team          Direct:  +1-978-589-0719
Juniper Networks                         Mobile:  +1-603-377-1162
Westford, MA, USA                        PGP Key: 0xAB6E02A5

On Sat Mar 20 2010 22:10:02 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time), Ning Zong
<[email-masked]> proclaimed ...

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:40:12 +1300

On 2010-03-22 05:24, David Dugal wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 

Nothing, I trust, and they will get IPv6 for free too. It's unlikely to
chew up enough bandwidth to matter, and we are all well protected,
aren't we?

As far as I know this is standard practice. (Even if we did use a secured
network, once 1000 people know the key, you might as well post it in
the Hilton lobby anyway.)

    Brian

    Brian

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:18:29 -0400

On Mar 21, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> As far as I know this is standard practice.

I do not remember IETF WLANs ever being restricted.

Regards
Marshall

> (Even if we did use a secured