Subject: [77attendees] FW: Looking for jogging trail around the Hilton

From: Olivier Vautrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:33:23 -0700

I would be interested by any jogger feedback on the best route for running around here.

Looking at google map, the only one I found is around Disneyland:
http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=481145

/Olivier

---

From: Matthijs Mekking <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:39:23 +0100

I actually jogged two times this week, not this route though.

Two downsides of jogging around in Anaheim:
- - It can be crowdy on the pavement
- - Traffic lights can be red for a long time

Best regards,

Matthijs

Olivier Vautrin wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 77attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/77attendees

---

From: Adam Uzelac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:37:13 -0700

I am running this one:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ca/anaheim/121334456 - this
evening. Just another example.

-Adam

---

From: James Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:00:05 -0700

The concierge desk at the Hilton has maps for a 2, 3, or 5 mile runs 
around the area.

All the routes start by circling Disneyland.

If you jog in the evenings or early mornings when there may not be much 
sun, the 5 mile run goes through residential areas that are not as well 
lit as the rest.

Jim

-- On March 22, 2010 3:33:23 PM -0700 Olivier Vautrin 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding [77attendees] FW: Looking for 
jogging trail around the Hilton --

---

From: Vince Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:32:04 -0700

> http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=481145

The Hilton concierge will give you maps for 2, 3, and 5 mile routes from
here. I ran the 5 mile one today:

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27775305

It was pretty ugly ("concrete wasteland" is the term a friend used) as
running routes go, mostly wide, busy streets with strip malls along them.
I'm guessing that the route you posted above probably has similar esthetic
characteristics.

Tomorrow, I'll probably start with the 5 mile loop then extend it farther
west on Chapman and north on 9th or on Euclid. It will still be ugly but
it will at least be a little longer workout.

A wider view of Google maps shows that there is a bike trail along the
Santa Ana river that is about 2.5 miles from the Hilton - south on Harbor
then east on Chapman would seem to be the most direct way to get to that
trail. When I asked the Hilton concierge about it, however, she recommended
against going there, saying that there have been many muggings on the trail
and that it isn't safe for running.

	--Vince

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:02:36 -0700

> and that it isn't safe for running.

That's a little surprising.   I rode my bike on it today, and saw plenty of other riders.   It wasn't crowded, but I didn't see anyone lurking (other than one homeless fellow who was sleeping by the side of the path).   Maintain a little situational awareness, and you should be okay.   It's not the most lovely path I've been on--the river is mostly dry at the moment--but it's a lot nicer than the roads.   Because it's so far from the hotel, though, I think it's only appropriate for long-distance runners or people who have cars.

---

From: Vince Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:06:48 -0700

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:02:36PM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> That's a little surprising.  I rode my bike on it today, and saw
> plenty of other riders.  It wasn't crowded, but I didn't see anyone
> lurking (other than one homeless fellow who was sleeping by the side
> of the path).  Maintain a little situational awareness, and you
> should be okay.  It's not the most lovely path I've been on--the
> river is mostly dry at the moment--but it's a lot nicer than the
> roads.  Because it's so far from the hotel, though, I think it's
> only appropriate for long-distance runners or people who have cars.

Thanks for the feedback. I was kind of skeptical when the concierge told
me that the trail was so dangerous, evem during daylight hours (I asked
explicitly about that) but not having been there, I had no idea what it
was like. When running, it's not like I have much that a mugger would
want to steal anyway (my shoes?)

I'll probably give it a shot at least once this week.

	--Vince

---

From: Lindqvist Kurt Erik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:33:54 +0100

> and that it isn't safe for running.

I ran there Saturday morning and it was full of people running and biking, that was around 8.30. That was actually on recommendation from the Hilton gym...

Best regards,

- kurtis -

---

From: Vince Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:45:08 -0700

> I ran there Saturday morning and it was full of people running and
> biking, that was around 8.30. That was actually on recommendation
> from the Hilton gym...

I ran this route this morning:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27834415

The trail wasn't particularly beautiful (the river is more of a flood control
channel than a river) but it didn't seem unsafe and was more pleasant than
the roads around here. Not a lot of traffic on it on a weekday morning but I
did see a few cyclists and a walker or two.

Less pleasant was running on Ball Road, which was wide, busy, and had no
sidewalk for a mile or so. I don't recommend running on that road.

	--Vince