Subject: [79attendees] per diem

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:53:09 +0800

usg per diem for beijing is $280

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:50:59 +0800

In my experience, being funded by an activity that has to follow US Fed 
Per Diem, the per diem rates for hotels in international cities are very 
generous, and typically the IETF Conference hotel fits under that cap.  
In the USA, in city centers it is nowhere near the going rate for hotels 
in those areas, in fact is unrealistic unless you can get an actual 
"government rate" room.  Typically, the large conference hotels do not 
provide a lot of rooms at that rate, and in the US I usually end up 
off-site at a moderate chain hotel like Holiday Inn Express.

Bottom line, the continental US rates at 
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/21287 give you a read on what an 
inexpensive room in that market should go for.  On the other hand, the 
foreign rates at 
http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=184&menu_id=92 would be 
rather a high-end of the range.

as the suggestion at the mic indicated, at least these price points 
could be considered when selecting venue and overflow hotels.

On 11/10/2010 5:53 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Yaakov Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:20:03 +0000

$280 for lodging might be acceptable for some, but is much higher than what I am allowed.

More relevantly, the rate at the Shangri-La ($220) and even at the Nikko ($170)
are considerably higher than rates my company gets for other Beijing hotels ($100).

I understand that several attendees are staying close by, with comfortable rooms, at $80.

In the past the IETF has offered more options.

Y(J)S

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:10:23 +0800

the difference is in the US I'm quite confident I can find a hotel chain 
I know and trust within a reasonable distance from the venue, but in 
overseas locales I try to stay in the main or overflow hotel.  Yes, I 
could get cheaper, but if the policy allows the rate, the security and 
convenience seem to be worth it.  Of course, it's not my money.

I would certainly prefer an official overflow hotel within walking 
distance or with shuttle, that would have rates within most folks 
definition of reasonable and customary.  More choices in a range of 
accommodations would be great.