Subject: [79attendees] Fresh Fruits & Vegetables...

From: "Delregno, Christopher N (Nick DelRegno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:30:18 +0000

FWIW...

A MEF'er and colleague who was in Beijing last week for the MEF meeting
brought back a specific warning to avoid drinking the water and eating
fresh fruits and vegetables.  Reportedly, some of the MEF attendees at
the fresh fruits and vegetables and developed a regrettable case of
Chairman Mao's Revenge.  However, those that stuck to the
processed/cooked fruits and vegetables and drank the provided bottled
water, had no issues whatsoever.

As I can't vouch for the validity of the report, nor the accuracy of the
information, your mileage may vary.

Nick

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 22:25:30 -0700

At 3:30 PM +0000 11/5/10, Christopher N (Nick DelRegno) Delregno wrote:

>  A MEF'er and colleague who was in Beijing last week for the MEF 
> meeting brought back a specific warning to avoid drinking the water 
> and eating fresh fruits and vegetables.  Reportedly, some of the 
> MEF attendees at the fresh fruits and vegetables and developed a 
> regrettable case of Chairman Mao's Revenge.  However, those that 
> stuck to the processed/cooked fruits and vegetables and drank the 
> provided bottled water, had no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the report.

Do you know which hotel people were at, and if any of those stricken 
had eaten or drunk outside of the hotel?

I haven't asked at this hotel, but I know at some western hotels they 
take precautions, with their own water purification system and 
washing the fruits and vegetables themselves.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:04:35 +0800

On 11/6/2010 1:25 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
> I haven't asked at this hotel, but I know at some western hotels they take
> precautions, with their own water purification system and washing the fruits and
> vegetables themselves.

It is a frequent observation that 'western' and '5 star' hotels often cause the 
most problem.  Visitors let down their guard.  Yes, some places have extra 
measures, but since we are not actually watching what happens behind the scenes...

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net