Subject: [79attendees] Good Pizza Experience across from Shangri-La

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 21:40:18 -0400

Big Pizza across the street has an English menu and take-away.  The pizza was good as was the Teriyaki Chicken and very inexpensive.

There is not much in the way of restaurants you can walk to around Shangri-La though so this may help.

 Tom

---

From: Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 06:34:23 +0100

Hi,

I went for lunch today and they have a nice deal: 49 RMB for buffet lunch including drinks.

Could be a nice (and cheapest) alternative to the on site lunch.

Luigi 

On Nov 7, 2010, at 2:40 , Thomas Walsh wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:50:28 +0800

> Could be a nice (and cheapest) alternative to the on site lunch.

Three coworkers went across the road to a little place.  It's very Coke
themed: red chairs, etc.  Two of us ate for 64 RMB, and three for 101.
That's 1/3rd the price of the on-side lunch, and not more than a 5
minute walk.

Take a right around the hotel, follow the block around until you get to
the parking garage exit.  Go to the bridge ahead, take it across, and
head to the left down the stairs.  There is a Mo Mo Coffe there, if you
are in the right place.

Keep going down the road, cross the wide, scary street with insane
drivers.  A bit further, and it's pretty obvious.  It has strips of
thick plastic on the door to act as a poor-man's rotating door I suspect.

Just about everything we got was spicy.

--Michael

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:52:25 +0800

> That's 1/3rd the price of the on-side lunch, and not more than a 5

We also went there for lunch today. We felt adventurous and wanted to try
something weird. They were out of "duck tongues", so we settled for "duck
blood". That was pretty good.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 15:20:41 +0800

we've eaten there a couple of times.  see the wiki (and feel free to 
update) for restaurant reviews.

http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ietf79restaurants

if you want Beijing (Peking) Duck, they have it - it is on the first 
page with no picture.  Half duck I think was 56, plenty for two people 
with another side dish of noodles or veggies.  It wasn't phenomenal (a 
bit dry), but fast and inexpensive.  In NJ the duck would be about $25.  
a bargain.

You passed up the bullfrog?

---

From: Paul Selkirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:08:00 +0000 (UTC)

On the other side of the highway, at the bottom of the bridge, there
are a bunch of street food vendors.  I got a quart bucket of lo mein
noodles for 5 yuan (about $0.75).

				paul

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:20:25 +0000

Three of us turned right out of the Shangri-La and walked down to the 
second bridge (about 5 mins) and found a noodle/rice bar (it was called 
Malan or something like that). Tasty large bowl of noodles or rice plus 
a small Pepsi for RMB 16.50. Menu in English at the counter. Recommended.

Robert

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:26:15 +0800

there is also a good chinese restaurant across the way - inexpensive, speaks no english but the menu does, if you're willing to point at the menu you can do pretty well. 

You came all the way to Beijing and went out for pizza?

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:30:16 +0800

> You came all the way to Beijing and went out for pizza?

We've had some pretty awesome Indian food (Ganges restaurant, a few stops north on the 10 line at the Beijing University East Gate stop).   Your comment is sort of like saying "you went to New York and had Chinese food?"   :)

BTW, if anyone is curious, we've been to several really great Chinese vegetarian restaurants too, and would be happy to provide pointers.   None are walking distance from the hotel, however.

---

From: "George, Wes E IV [NTK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:41:59 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ted Lemon
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 6:30 PM
To: Fred Baker
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Good Pizza Experience across from Shangri-La

> You came all the way to Beijing and went out for pizza?

Your comment is sort of like saying "you went to New York and had Chinese
food?"   :)

This reminds me of a friend from Boston who was traveling with me in Dallas
a few years ago. The waiter mentioned that their soup of the day was New
England Clam chowder, and that it was quite good. 
Quoth my friend in his thick Bahston accent, "I'll order New England Clam
Chowdah in Texas when you come to Bahston for a tahco!"

Wes George

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 08:32:16 -0500

First, Big Pizza is *not* a pizza place. Its a generic all you can eat 
buffet place that has some pizza. It was kind of hard to discern what 
the pizza was - there were half a dozen different varieties to choose 
from. None to write home about. I would put it a notch or two below 
McDonalds on the quality scale.

	Paul

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:58:51 -0500

Yes and I am going to TGI Friday's on Friday night this week!  Isn't Beijing great!  That is the sign of a truly international city.  By the way, I have heard the Chinese food is pretty good in New York city too!

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:00:11 -0500

Went there too.  Food was great and inexpensive.  Huge portions.

________________________________
From: Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 6:26 PM
To: Thomas Walsh
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Good Pizza Experience across from Shangri-La

 Tom

_______________________________________________
79attendees mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees