Subject: [79attendees] Hotel Nikko: Internet connection requires overhead light activation

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:44:03 -0500

For those of you in the Hotel Nikko:  I've just figured out that the Internet router is on the same power as the overhead lights -- you have to put your room key card in that little master-switch thing near the door for the Internet to work.  (Since the desk lamps aren't on power switched by that device, during the day you can overlook to put your card in the thing, and then your Internet is cut off.)

Dale

---

From: "Carl Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:02:16 -0500

You can use any key card in the master-switch and leave it there all day.

It doesn't require specific key that is activated.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Worley, Dale R (Dale)
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [79attendees] Hotel Nikko: Internet connection requires overhead
light activation

For those of you in the Hotel Nikko:  I've just figured out that the
Internet router is on the same power as the overhead lights -- you have to
put your room key card in that little master-switch thing near the door for
the Internet to work.  (Since the desk lamps aren't on power switched by
that device, during the day you can overlook to put your card in the thing,
and then your Internet is cut off.)

Dale
_______________________________________________
79attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:07:16 -0600

In the Marriott, it's even lower-tech than that. I carried off the "please 
leave this card in the master-switch" card on Monday because I was 
jet-lagged, and the staff folded up a napkin and stuck it in the 
master-switch - and that worked :D

Spencer

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:07:45 +0800

In the Shangri-la a business card in slot works too.

Mark.

-- 
Mark Prior
Liaison, APAC R&E Community
Juniper Networks

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:22:32 +0800

My Safeway club card also works.  ;-)

If you get in the habit of doing this:

a) Please get in the habit of NEVER using the hotel room key for this.  This will save you from locking yourself out.  
b) Please turn off the lights, TV, and heating/cooling in the room.  The reason the hotel has these switches is for power conservation.  If you're going to bypass it, then please be green and responsible.

Tony

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:52:50 +0800

or just follow the protocol spec.
after entering the room, the guest SHOULD insert room key in the slot.  
This will enable Lights, Air, etc.
when leaving the room, the guest SHOULD remove the room key and store it 
securely on their person.  This will ensure that the room will enter 
powersave mode, and the guest will have the key for subsequent admission 
control.
Failure to observe these procedures may result in a loss of energy 
efficiency or delays reentering the room

On 11/12/2010 10:22 AM, Tony Li wrote:
>> On 12/11/10 10:02 AM, "Carl Williams"<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:57:46 +0800

Following the protocol spec may leave your laptop without power or networking.  

Which of these is more important to you?  ;-)

Tony

On Nov 12, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Ed Jankiewicz wrote:

> after entering the room, the guest SHOULD insert room key in the slot.  This will enable Lights, Air, etc.
> when leaving the room, the guest SHOULD remove the room key and store it securely on their person.  This will ensure that the room will enter powersave mode, and the guest will have the key for subsequent admission control.
> Failure to observe these procedures may result in a loss of energy efficiency or delays reentering the room
>

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:07:30 +0800

It is a SHOULD not a MUST.  Always room to improve a version -00 spec.

The guest MAY use an alternate card to enable power to some devices when 
leaving the room, but the guest SHOULD turn off all unnecessary lights 
and other appliances.

I was not considering your use case.