Subject: [79attendees] [NAT64] DNS up & down

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:18:46 +0800

Should I report to [email-masked]? On the NAT64 network, the DNS server
appears and disappears. My /etc/resolv.conf keeps changing (Ubuntu
box). Sometimes, it has the address (2001:df8:0:7::1), the second
after, it is empty. Ubuntu or IETF problem?

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:22:23 -0800 (PST)

Yes, you should report it.

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees
>

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:26:47 +0800

> after, it is empty. Ubuntu or IETF problem?

Please report all NAT64/DNS64 issues to [email-masked].

Thanks,
Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:27:38 +0800

> Please report all NAT64/DNS64 issues to [email-masked].

Make that [email-masked].

Too much enthusiasm on my part I guess... ;)

Simon

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:32:14 +0800

> appears and disappears. 

this is an issue with the nat64 implementation, not the meeting
network.  so no.

randy

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:25:12 +0800

Stephane,

You should report where Simon directed you to.

However, I'll note that there may be multiple reasons for this. Per my 
request Simon did some changes yesterday to the configurations (and now 
I'm successfully connected to the network on my Android phone that 
requires automatic DNS discovery... thanks!) You could have seen the 
effects of this change. Previously the standard IETF DNS servers, not 
DNS64, were being reported in RAs and DHCPv6.

It could be an issue in the nat64 implementation or the router running this.

It could be an issue in Ubuntu. I have had serious problems getting 
rdnssd to work in Ubuntu recently. It could be that my config is just 
confused or it could be a real bug somewhere. If you find out what's 
going on, let me know as well.

Jari