Subject: [79attendees] nat64 network experiment

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:54:29 +0800

Hello,

This is a network experiment to see how NAT64 can be used, which 
applications work and not work, etc... There is no garantee of the service.

(Thanks to the NOC(specially Tsinghua univ people) for their great 
support of this initiative.)

Service Information

To try the experiment, use the wireless SSID "ietf-nat64". This is an 
IPv6-only network, but with the DNS64/NAT64 function, it provides a way 
to access the IPv4 Internet.

Configuration

To use this service, your computer MUST BE CONFIGURED TO RESOLVE DNS 
names to the DNS64 DNS server. If your OS (such as MacOSX) does not 
support DHCPv6 stateless or RDNSS for DNS server IPv6 addresses, 
configure "2001:df8:0:7::1" as your DNS server. Moreover, you might want 
to disable IPv4.

DNS IPv6 address: 2001:df8:0:7::1

Technical Details:

The nat64 router has an IPv6 enabled interface (2001:df8:0:7::1) on that 
wireless network and sends router advertisements for 2001:df8:0:7::/64. 
There is no IPv4 forwarding.

The other interface of the router is connected to the IETF backbone with 
an IPv4 address: 130.129.48.41 and an IPv6 address 2001:df8:0:48::41/64. 
The nat64 router forwards IPv6 packets as usual. Since it implements 
DNS64 and NAT64, it also translates packets when destination is IPv4. 
Your traffic to IPv4 destinations will use 64:ff9b::/96 on the IPv6 side 
and after translation, will use 130.129.48.41 as source address.

Default IPv6 gateway: 2001:df8:0:7::1
Network: 2001:df8:0:7::/64
Translating IPv6 prefix: 64:ff9b::/96
Translated IPv4 address: 130.129.48.41
Live statistics are available at http://[2001:df8:0:7::1]/

Important Notes

Flush your DNS resolver cache. On MacOSX: dscacheutil -flushcache.

Please note that the nat64 router is a linux laptop running on a "slow" 
PPC processor with a single physical interface. Therefore, performance 
is not garanteed...

The implementation is available as open-source.

If you find any issue, please send email to [email-masked]

(Information about this experiment and nat64/dns64 opensource code is 
available at: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca)

Regards, Marc.
-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN Implementation: http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca