Subject: [79attendees] Anybody for dinner RIGHT NOW?

From: Stephen Schultze <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:30:15 +0800

I'm going to go foraging for some dinner but I don't know many folks.
Drop me an email in the next few minutes if you are also looking for a
dinner partner.

---

From: Malcolm Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:43:09 +0000 (GMT)

> Drop me an email in the next few minutes if you are also looking for a

Me, possibly.  Where were you thinking of going?

-- 
Malcolm Scott
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

---

From: Malcolm Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:20:25 +0000 (GMT)

At 02:11 today, Radia Perlman wrote:

> There should be a protocol for such cases in the future...a place for
> IETFers to hang out at mealtimes, looking for meal companions.  It
> MUST NOT be the same place that closed groups hang out looking to
> complete their clique, because it is discouraging for shy people to
> keep asking groups of people, "Can I join you?" and be told no.

Agreed; some sort of ad-hoc multicast rendezvous point...

> We could always add features to this protocol, such as distinct places
> to hang out looking for a particular cuisine, or people that might be
> interested in discussing a particular topic; but for now, just a
> single category of "people looking for interesting people to have
> dinner with" would be nice.

The former feature would have been useful in this case...  (by which I mean 
"if anyone is interested in food that is more substantial than soup, I'm 
still on my own").

Malcolm