Subject: [80attendees] Vegetarian food in Prague

From: Anand Buddhdev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 00:47:38 +0100

I arrived a few days early to do some sight-seeing, and I've discovered
some good vegetarian places.

First on the list is Lehka Hlava (www.lehkahlava.cz). It's a small,
beautiful restaurant with a rather big menu, serving various tasty
dishes. Their Coco Fogo drink (coconut milk with guarana syrup) is very
refreshing and tasty. This place is often full, and you'll almost
certainly need to make reservations.

If Lehka Hlava is full, try their sister restaurant Maitrea. They have
(almost) the same menu.

Next, try Cerna Liska on the Old Town Square. It's not a vegetarian
restaurant, but they have 2 very good vegetarian dishes on the menu:
couscous with vegetable ratatouille, and even tastier, the spinach,
chick-pea and tofu dish. It's wonderful, and suitable for vegans.

If you're on a budget, you may want to eat at Gopal vegetarian
restaurant, on Nerudova. It's run by the Hare Krishna people, and you
can eat as much as you like for 7 euro. Personally, I found the food too
sweet. Their cook used generous amounts of sugar in everything, even
things which are supposed to be tangy, like the daal and the coconut
chutney.

Finally, Indian restaurants always have a few good vegetarian dishes.
This afternoon, we ate at the Indian Jewel restaurant on Tyn 6. I
ordered daal of the day (lentils) with a pudina (mint) paratha. It was
divine! Scooping the daal out of its metal container using pieces of the
paratha as a scoop reminded me of my mum's daal at home. My friend had
aloo-gobi masala (potato and cauliflower) and I thought it was perfectly
cooked. I'll certainly be going back to this restaurant during the week.

If anyone's interested in going together, let me know, and we can
arrange something.

Regards,

Anand Buddhdev

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:02:14 +0100

Hello,

as a vegetarian living in Prague I would like to share my experience.

Mentioned Lehka hlava is my favorite vegetarian restaurant. It is really
well located so you can have a nice walk before/after your meal. I also
appreciate the unique interier. There are two different parts - the light
one and the dark one - so you can have two experience :-)

Lehka hlava is on the list "Where to go" on the website www.ietf80.cz we
made specially for IETF 80 attendees. There is no need to be worried to
visit the others on the list (and not only restaurants mentioned here).
You can find some vegetarian options almost everywhere. I recommend to ask
the waiter if the meal is without meat (when it is not specially written
on the menu), just to ensure. You can also ask for preparation of some
meal chosen from the menu to have it without meat.

I have had bad experience with restaurants in the centre (in the Old Town
Square area) specialised on tourists where they offer typical czech
cousine - that was something really for meat eaters.

Not far from the conference hotel you can find a vegan cantine:
http://www.beas-dhaba.cz/index.php?l=en (the Sokolovska one) and Hare
Krisna restaurant: http://www.govinda.cz/ (the Soukenicka one).

It is pity there are not too many choices of typical czech food without
meat. With beer goes really well a pickled chees (nakladany hermelin) or a
potato pancake (bramborak). I also recommend a soup in (really in) bread -
you can have a potato or a mushroom soup.

Bon appetit,
Anna

> _______________________________________________
> 80attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/80attendees
>

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:03:39 -0400

Hi Anna.  Could you please comment on

Albio‎
Truhlářská 1119/20
110 00 Prague 1-Nové Město, Czech Republic
222 317 902

??

Thank you ... Scott

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:14:38 +0100

This is only partly a vegetarian recommendation, but I'm a big fan of
Klub Architektů, which is just on the far side of the old city:
<http://www.klubarchitektu.com/>

Very tasty food, with several good non-meat options, in an intimate
cellar setting.  Also very cheap for the quality; my gulaš+beer was
175 CZK tonight.

--Richard

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:12:34 +0100

Mlsná kavka‎ was rather nice.  I can't compare it to the others as I
haven't been to Lehká hlava in 4 years, but the best thing is it's not
far away.  I had millet, a few vegetables and tofu satay in peanut
sauce:

mlsnakavka.cz‎
Mlsná kavka‎
Write a review - more info »
Sokolovská 327/29
186 00 Prague 8-Karlín, Czech Republic
777 913 054
mlsnakavka.cz‎

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:42:58 -0700

Also, there is a Wiki page with restaurant into, including links to 
search by cuisine or non-smoking, etc.

http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ietf80

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
would be if men died for ideas that were true!
    --H.L. Mencken

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:52:16 -0700

The info on restaurants from the previous IETF in Prague (IETF 68) is 
still valid:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20071113155856/http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_Attractions%2C_Restaurants

I went to the tea shop recommended there and it remains excellent, 
just like last time.

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Being president is like running a cemetery: You've got a lot of
people under you and nobody's listening.
      -- William Jefferson Clinton