Subject: [80attendees] AT&T Roaming?

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:13:01 +0200

Anyone else having any problems with roaming in Prague with an AT&T phone?  My iPhone worked fine (w/ O2-CZ) in Prague yesterday (and in other places in Europe last week), but I am not getting any service today.

Bob

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:14:31 +0200

Thanks for all of the responses.  

I got it to work by turning it off for about 20 minutes.  I suspect that the roaming state get corrupted somehow and turning the phone off causes it to get flushed out of the network.  Now running on O2-CZ.

By the way, I had tried rebooting, and even updated it to the latest version of iOS (4.3.1).

Bob

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:41:51 +0200

I turn off data roaming and only use the wifi for data.

Bob

On Mar 27, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Jonathan Hudson wrote:

> At $2.99/min voice and 19.95/MB data I turned off my gsm radio and just use wifi :-/
> 
> .
> 
> 
> On Mar 27, 2011, at 3:13 AM, "Bob Hinden" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> 80attendees mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/80attendees

---

From: "Chakrapani Gorrepati" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:48 +0200

Mine is working fine. I am roaming on O2-CZ today at the intercontinental.

---

From: Walda Roseman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:48:19 -0400

Yes,  I am.  Everything indicates that I should be receiving my emails,
but I'm not.

Walda

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Hinden
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [80attendees] AT&T Roaming?

Anyone else having any problems with roaming in Prague with an AT&T
phone?  My iPhone worked fine (w/ O2-CZ) in Prague yesterday (and in
other places in Europe last week), but I am not getting any service
today.

Bob

---

From: "HUANG Feng F" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 02:58:38 +0800

Dear IETFers,
        Please be aware of cheating in Change near CESKA REPUBLIKA
Prague! I went into a Change and saw the Change rate ( Buy EURO/CZK
23.7, Sell:23.07), no commission on screen this afternoon , so I think
the change rate should be about 23,  I give them 50ERUO, but they give
me only 853CZK, the change rate is 17.06, they told me the rate shown on
the screen is for information, the true rate is 17.06! that's terrible,
that's cheating! I can't believe this happen in Prague!
       The lady in my hotel reception told me that I should ask for rate
before change money, don't believe information on screen!
       Information of  Change store listed in my change note is : 
                                        OBCHODNE-FINACNI SPOLEFCNOST
SPOL S.R.O
                                        NA PRIKOPE 13
                                        110 00 PRAHA 1 CESKA REPUBLIKA
                                         TEL:420 221 425 157
                                         FAX: 420 221 425 676
                                         ICO: 452 77 966
                                         DIC:CZ452 77 966
     Please be aware of it.

Feng

---

From: Ondrej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:17:57 +0200

>  Dear IETFers,

Thank you Feng, I sent your report to Czech Trade Inspection
Authority. I am very sorry for that.

			Ondrej

-- 
 (  CZ.NIC z.s.p.o.                              )
 -------------------------------------------------
  Ondrej Filip  -  CEO

  Office : Americka 23, Praha 2,   Czech Republic
  Email  : [email-masked]  http://www.nic.cz
  Private: [email-masked]
 -------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:42:05 +0200

Dear all,
Prague is very friedly city, but there are some specialities that you 
can experience if you are looking like a tourist.  There is a very low 
probability you get cheated, but keep in mind there is >1000 conference 
participants and statistics is inexorable.

- Please use banks and well known companies like Travelex for money 
exchange. Most of small exchanges are fine, but there i higher 
probability to get cheated on rates.

- Please always ask for a final price when entering taxi (specially in 
city center) and do not use it if you feel the price is too high. Taxi 
business is is regulated in CZ, but there are few reports about 
cheating. Refuse payment without a receipt provided.

- Avoid to use public transport when you are in tourist area and 
approaching tram is full (tram #22 is know for this). There are groups 
of pickpocketing foreigners sometimes operating there. These groups are 
operating in whole EU (Schengen area) so we cannot guarantee they aren't 
in Prague.

- As always, check your mobile phone setting to not get charged for 
roaming fee for data/Internet.

If you feel you paid unusual fare for a service, get an receipt, and 
send e-mail to me (or local organisers) and we'll try to meet you and 
manage it.

                 Regards
                     Michal Krsek

---

From: Shannon Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:42:46 -0700

Just for info Hilton's taxis seem particularly expensive and don't seem to have a meter. Hilton taxi on way to restaurant 300, normal taxi on the way back 150. Hmm. Guess you got to pay when you take the Mercedes. :-).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michal Krsek
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [80attendees] Prague - have to read

Dear all,

                 Regards
                     Michal Krsek

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:57:42 -0500

I can't remember which list I saw a note on, but someone said the same thing 
about the Hilton taxis to/from the airport (similar ratios) ...

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Shannon Russell" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [80attendees] Prague - have to read

> Just for info Hilton's taxis seem particularly expensive and don't seem to 
> have a meter. Hilton taxi on way to restaurant 300, normal taxi on the way 
> back 150. Hmm. Guess you got to pay when you take the Mercedes. :-).
>
> On Behalf Of Michal Krsek

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:23:14 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Spencer Dawkins
> Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:58 PM
> To: Shannon Russell; [email-masked]

Yep, 900 CKR.  Regular taxi is 2/3 of that.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:33:25 +0200

Here you can find detailed information about taxi service in Prague:
http://www.praguewelcome.cz/en/services/transportation/taxi/index.shtml

When you are paying for something (the same with money exchange) just
check the amount written on the recepie is ok. You should make a claim
immediately when you disagree with something.

No worries in Prague. Safety situation in Prague is the same as in any
other European city. Here you can find some tips on staying safe in
Prague: http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/safety.html.

Anna

---

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:47:53 -0700

> other places in Europe last week), but I am not getting any service

My phone was roaming okay on Sunday morning with O2-CZ, but quit roaming
in the evening -- just showed 'searching' and trying to connect
to a network manually showed 'network is restricted'.  I power
cycled, hard power cycled, to only have it say 'iPhone needs to activate 
- this may take a while'.  After another power cycle this morning 
(Monday), it roamed again with O2-CZ after doing a new iPhone activation 
(which involved no steps on my side).  Wife's iPhone had nearly 
identical problems, but never said it needed to activate.

Both phones are iPhone 3G, with 3.1.3.

-d

---

From: Marco Davids <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:59:16 +0200

On 03/28/2011 09:47 AM, Dan Wing wrote:
>> phone? 

> in the evening

I encountered similar problems with my HTC Desire HD Android on T-Mobile
CZ. It found a network when I left the plane on Saturday (I got the
famous 'welcome' SMS). But after having arrived at the hotel I noticed
problems like the ones described here.

I power cycled my phone and since then everything seems to work fine.

--
Marco

BTW: T-Mobile is pretty cool in the sense that they enabled DNSSEC
validation on their resolvers. http://dnssectest.sidn.nl/ gives a green
tick :-)

---

From: Marco Davids <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:03:53 +0200

> BTW: T-Mobile is pretty cool in the sense that they enabled DNSSEC

Well... T-Mobile NL at least...