Subject: [80attendees] Fwd: Re: Currency

From: "Ing.Tomas Marsalek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:48:33 +0100

Dear all,

just confirmation and clarify 30days local transport DPP ticket issue 
http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares-in-prague/

- 550CZK is for local people and you need to have personal data 
registration etc + special card
- 670CZK is fully transferable ticket also for another friends, just 
shop and go without your personal data

BR
Tomas

>Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:21:04 +0100
>To: Dan Burnett <[email-masked]>
>From: "Ing.Tomas Marsalek" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [80attendees] Currency
>Cc: [email-masked]
>
>For 30day pass you need to provide your personal info and it's 
>working from 1st day of month - just whole month no 30day. It's what 
>they say at website.
>But to be 100% sure I will check it at DPP shop today afternoon and 
>confirm to this list.
>
>BR
>Tomas
>
>At 14:57 21.3.2011, Dan Burnett wrote:
>>Tomas,
>>
>>Thanks for the great info.  I notice on the site below that the 30-day
>>pass is only slightly more expensive than the 5-day ticket.  For
>>someone staying more than 5 days, is there any reason not to get the
>>30-day pass?  For example, does it not provide something that the
>>tickets do?
>>
>>-- dan
>>
>>On Mar 21, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Ing.Tomas Marsalek wrote:
>>
>>>At 14:00 21.3.2011, George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:
>>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>>From: [email-masked] 
>>>>[mailto:[email-masked] ] On
>>>>Behalf Of Ing.Tomas Marsalek
>>>>Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 5:53 AM
>>>>To: Songhaibin; Henk Uijterwaal; [email-masked]
>>>>Subject: Re: [80attendees] Currency
>>>>
>>>>Dear all,
>>>>
>>>>as local person I suggest:
>>>>
>>>>[WEG] What about acceptance of credit cards? Should we make sure to
>>>>have enough
>>>>cash to cover all expenses (except hotel) for the week, or will
>>>>most major
>>>>credit cards be accepted at places like restaurants, taxis, public
>>>>transit?
>>>>Dare I ask about AMEX?
>>>
>>>No problem with credit cards incl AMEX almost everywhere. It's still
>>>good to have some cash for "old small pubs", small shops etc.
>>>About public transport. Probably the best is buy 3 or 5 day ticket
>>>see prices: http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares-in-prague/. Shop is at
>>>airport too. This give you unlimited travel
>>><underground,tram,buses>. Inspector checking validity of tickets are
>>>almost everywhere......and there is high penalty => I strongly
>>>suggest travel with valid ticket.
>>>
>>>btw: Some tip for beer-lovers => special type of self-servis beer
>>>pub. http://www.thepub.cz/welcome
>>>
>>>BR
>>>Tomas
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>80attendees mailing list
>>>[email-masked]
>>>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/80attendees

---

From: Rob Lass <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:59:48 +0100

> - 670CZK is fully transferable ticket also for another friends, just shop
> and go without your personal data

In case anyone is planning to get the transferable ticket:

I recently tried to purchase one of these at the Karlovo náměstí
metro, and was sent on a wild-goose chase around Prague.  It seems
that you can only buy these at a certain office near the Ivana
petroviče pavlova metro stop.  (I forget the exact address now.)  If
you don't speak Czech, you may have a hard time getting directions to
this place.

Rob

---

From: Ondrej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:34:51 +0100

> you don't speak Czech, you may have a hard time getting directions to

Hi Rob,
the number of sales locations increased. As I mentioned earlier, here
is the list:

http://www.dpp.cz/en/advance-sales-in-metro/

You should be able to  bye those tickets on places marked by 'all' in
column 'Coupons with arbitrary start of validity'

And Florenc is on the list.

http://www.dpp.cz/en/advance-sales-in-metro/line-b/

			Ondrej

-- 
 (  CZ.NIC z.s.p.o.                              )
 -------------------------------------------------
  Ondrej Filip  -  CEO

  Office : Americka 23, Praha 2,   Czech Republic
  Email  : [email-masked]  http://www.nic.cz
  Private: [email-masked]
 -------------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:37:01 -0400

> shop and go without your personal data

This is for a *calendar month*, not an arbitrary 30-day period?

Also, are the one week tickets a calendar week, or seven contiguous days?

Since the month changes on Friday, a calendar month ticket isn't going 
to be much help.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:48:22 -0400

Replying to myself...

> Since the month changes on Friday, a calendar month ticket isn't going

OK, I see now: "sliding transit passes where the start of the validity 
period can chosen (30-day, 90-day)".

But that doesn't apply for weekly. For weekly passes, when does the week 
start? Saturday, Sunday, or Monday? (I see no mention of weekly passes 
on http://www.dpp.cz/en/advance-sales-in-metro/ ).

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Ondrej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:49:33 +0100

> This is for a *calendar month*, not an arbitrary 30-day period?

Both. Look at:

Passes –  ...  and offer a passenger-selected validity starting date
in the year. Applies to all categories above

> Also, are the one week tickets a calendar week, or seven contiguous days?

There are no week tickets - just 5-days.

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:59:22 -0400

While the bus system is really great, in 2007, we found nearly everything that we wanted to go to was walkable.  So, unless you have plans to get outside the main areas for eating (and drinking beer), and most shopping, you may not need the pass.

Several of us walked to the social event, which was quite a hike, but enjoyable.

Brian

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:18:45 +0200

> Several of us walked to the social event, which was quite a hike, but enjoyable.

I don't know where the social event was in 2007, but using Google Earth, the municipal house seems to be 1.5 km by road from the Hilton, so this is truly walking distance.

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:27:10 -0400

Yeah, it's a different place.  In 2007 it was at Zofin Palace, which was 3km.  It was a very nice walk.

Brian

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:31:37 +0000

Is it possible to take the metro for Hilton?

Thanks,

Behcet

---

From: Chris Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:37:39 -0400

> Is it possible to take the metro for Hilton?

last time the IETF was in PRG, at the Hilton, the easiest path (as
advertised by the hotel and conference) was the shared-van-service(s)
from Airport -> Hotel.

-Chris

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:26:38 +0000

The Airport Express looks like a good bet to me:

http://www.dpp.cz/en/bus-ae-airport-express/

Tickets cost 50 CZK, which is just under twice that using the normal bus 
and metro (26 CZK), although I read somewhere you have to pay an extra 
1/2 fare (13 CZK) on the normal bus and metro if you are carrying a 
large suitcase or backpack (larger than 25cm x 45cm x 70cm).

This stops at Masarykovo nádraží before it terminates at Hlavní 
nádraží, the main station. Note it used to terminate at Holešovice 
(further away) but it looks like they changed the route. Masarykovo 
nádraží is about 700m from the Hilton, so you could easily walk it if 
you don't have a lot of luggage. Directions: 
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Masarykovo+n%C3%A1dra%C5%BE%C3%AD&daddr=Hilton+Prague,+Pob%C5%99e%C5%BEn%C3%AD,+Prague-Prague+8,+Czech+Republic&hl=en&geocode=FZZH_AIdTzncACnVi_4YlZQLRzH61YecrBPdOw%3BFdpc_AIdTlXcACG9PoaxKFw1OA&mra=pd&dirflg=w&sll=50.090501,14.436175&sspn=0.021999,0.066047&ie=UTF8&z=16

Robert

---

From: Ondrej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:34:37 +0100

> Is it possible to take the metro for Hilton?

Yes, that is the station Florenc. Look at:

http://www.ietf80.cz/

http://www.ietf80.cz/page/860/ietf-80---practical-info/

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:50:51 -0400

> Is it possible to take the metro for Hilton?

Florenc station is right down the hill.  You walk past it every time
you go between the Hilton and Old Town, or Wenceslas Square, etc.

---

From: John Border <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:59:38 -0400

Just want to confirm and point of (for those, like me, who did not know this)...  Daylight Savings Time starts in the Czech Republic at 2:00 AM on Sunday (March 27)?

---

From: Ondrej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 23:25:59 +0100

On 22.3.2011 22:59, John Border wrote:
> 
> Just want to confirm and point of (for those, like me, who did not
> know this)...  Daylight Savings Time starts in the Czech Republic
> at 2:00 AM on Sunday (March 27)?

Hi John,
the answer is YES. (2:00 am March 27 2011)

		Ondrej

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:38:39 +0100

>>> http://www.dpp.cz/en/advance-sales-in-metro/

Just wondering -- what is the ominous "service break"?
I'm arriving at Nádraží Holešovice on 17:16 -- does
http://www.dpp.cz/en/advance-sales-in-metro/line-c/
mean I have to wait for 17:45 (and then until lines clear) to buy a ticket?
(I can probably fill that time with understanding the Czech ATM system and buying some postcards, but still...)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:10:40 +0000

That worked well. Arrived at Terminal 2 from AMS. Paid the driver 50 CZK.
Bus took 40 mins to Masarykovo nádraží then a pleasant 10 min. walk in the
sunshine to Jurys Inn (opposite Florenc metro), so would be about a 15 min.
walk to the Hilton, which you can easily see as you get to the end of Na
poříčí before walking under the Wilsonova expressway.

I noticed a lot of people queueing at the CEDAZ stop, also confusingly
called Airport Express or something similar IIRC. This is not the public
transport (DPP) airport express (AE) and costs more (120 CZK) and are
smaller minibuses which go to Náměstí Republiky, which is next to Masarykovo
nádraží. You get the DPP AE bus over the road - look for a big green square
on a pillar with 'Airport Express' written on in white.

Robert

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Robert Cragie
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> and metro (26 CZK), although I read somewhere you have to pay an extra 1/2
> fare (13 CZK) on the normal bus and metro if you are carrying a large
> suitcase or backpack (larger than 25cm x 45cm x 70cm).
>
> This stops at Masarykovo nádraží before it terminates at Hlavní nádraží,
> the main station. Note it used to terminate at Holešovice (further away) but
> it looks like they changed the route. Masarykovo nádraží is about 700m from
> the Hilton, so you could easily walk it if you don't have a lot of luggage.
> Directions:

-- 

Robert Cragie (Pacific Gas & Electric)

Gridmerge Ltd.
89 Greenfield Crescent,
Wakefield, WF4 4WA, UK
+44 1924 910888
+1 415 513 0064
http://www.gridmerge.com

---

From: Mark Duckworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:54:32 -0400

I took the Airport Express from Terminal 1 for 50 CZK.  Just outside the
baggage claim, after walking under the Customs "nothing to declare" sign, to
the left, are several ATMs.  Then cross the first street and go a little to
the left to the AE sign next to a couple of benches.  The sign is not as
prominent as the one at Terminal 2.

I actually unintentionally took the bus to the final stop Hlavni nádraží,
right after Masarykovo nádraží., because the bus driver was so quick I
didn't have time to get off there.  I didn't try to stop her, because I
didn't mind the extra 10 minute walk anyway.

Mark Duckworth

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Robert Cragie <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Robert Cragie <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:28:58 +0100

Hello,

here you can find detailed information about Airport Express buses:
http://www.dpp.cz/en/bus-ae-airport-express/ . For your information, the
bus stops at "Masarykovo nadrazi" only on the way from the airport. On the
way back you have to go from "Hlavni nadrazi" or "Dejvicka". And the
frequency of buses is 30 minutes.

It is really easy to use the public transport:
http://www.ietf80.cz/page/860/ietf-80---practical-info/ ...after 40-50
minutes you can get to the "Florenc" station which is nearby the
conference hotel. There is every 10 minutes a bus.

Good luck on your way,
Anna
CZ.NIC

> I actually unintentionally took the bus to the final stop Hlavni
> nĂĄdraĹžĂ,
> right after Masarykovo nĂĄdraĹžĂ., because the bus driver was so quick I
>> Bus took 40 mins to Masarykovo nĂĄdraĹžĂÂ­ then a pleasant 10 min. walk
>> in the
>> poĹ&#65533;ĂÄ&#65533;Ă before walking under the Wilsonova expressway.
>>
>> smaller minibuses which go to NĂĄmÄ&#65533;stĂ Republiky, which is
next to
>> Masarykovo
>> nĂĄdraĹžĂ. You get the DPP AE bus over the road - look for a big green
>> square
>>> 1/2
>>> This stops at Masarykovo nĂĄdraĹžĂÂ­ before it terminates at HlavnĂ
>>> nĂĄdraĹžĂ,
>>> the main station. Note it used to terminate at HoleĹĄovice (further
>>> away) but
>>> it looks like they changed the route. Masarykovo nĂĄdraĹžĂ is about
>>> 700m from

---

From: "Dmitry Kohmanyuk mobile" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:01:46 +0000

It is indeed a quick stop - I had to wave my arms to driver as I was about to get off so he would wait for me :)

It may help if one sits in the front.