Subject: [80attendees] ietf-nat64 network

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:43:43 +0100

Dear IETF-80 attendees,

An additional wireless IPv6-only network with SSID "ietf-nat64" is
available on the conference site.  This network provides access to the 
IPv6 Internet natively and to the IPv4 Internet through the NAT64/DNS64.

To use this service, your computer should be configured to resolve DNS
names to the DNS64 DNS server. If your operating system (such as MacOSX)
does not support DHCPv6 stateless or RDNSS for DNS server IPv6
addresses, configure "2001:df8:0:7::1" as your DNS server. Moreover, you
might want to disable IPv4.

For additional information:
http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca/network_experiment.html

If you use the service, we would really like to get your feedback.  A 
short survey is available at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/23NNSWK

Thanks to the IETF NOC for helping setting this up.

Marc, Simon and Jean-Philippe @viagenie

-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN Implementation: http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:01:00 +0200

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]> writes:
    Marc> To use this service, your computer should be configured to
    Marc> resolve DNS names to the DNS64 DNS server. If your operating
    Marc> system (such as MacOSX) does not support DHCPv6 stateless or
    Marc> RDNSS for DNS server IPv6 addresses, configure
    Marc> "2001:df8:0:7::1" as your DNS server. Moreover, you might want
    Marc> to disable IPv4.

My resolv.conf, on debian got populated with:

marajade-[/corp/projects/moose/redmine] mcr 10081 %cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver fec0:0:0:ffff::1

This did not seem to work, so I changed it to include above.

marajade-[/corp/projects/moose/redmine] mcr 10084 %host www.credil.org
www.credil.org has address 173.236.130.84
www.credil.org has IPv6 address 64:ff9b::adec:8254

It surprised me to see 64: here... is this a made up address, or is
there a draft telling DNS64 to use this?

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:32:48 +0200

> nameserver fec0:0:0:ffff::1

This is an attempt at DNS server auto-discovery by your OS. See
draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-discovery for details. That draft is expired, and is not
widely supported in the wild.

We advertise the DNS server address by stateless DHCPv6 and RDNSS in RAs.

> there a draft telling DNS64 to use this?

It's the NAT64 well-known prefix. It is defined in RFC 6052 section 2.1.

Thanks for trying it out!

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca