Subject: [80attendees] Beer places in Prague

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:43:55 +0100

Hello all beer lovers,

welcome to the Czech republic, country where beer is cheaper that water!
It is Saturday so some of you maybe would like to discover nice beer
places. Here http://www.ietf80.cz/page/861/ietf-80---where-to-go/ you can
find a list of those we would like to recommend to you.

Would you like to tap yourself a beer? Visit The PUB.

Would you be happy when the beer is served to your table by a small train?
Visit Vytopna.

Would you like to taste a beer cooked in Prague? Visit Novomestsky pivovar
or Potrefena Husa.

Would you like to try variations of small czech breweries? Visit
Pivovarsky klub.

In all those beer places they also have a good cuisine.

Are you interested to visit any of those restaurants? Don´t hestitate and
make your reservation.

Cheers,
Anna
CZ.NIC

Very important P.S.: Don´t forget that there is a change of time tonight:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=204 .

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:47:00 +0100

Anna - thanks for all of the helpful information you've provided.

Do you happen to know of any restaurants or pubs that serve gluten-free (non-wheat) beers?

- Ralph

On Mar 26, 2011, at 11:43 AM 3/26/11, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 80attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/80attendees

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:46:36 +0100

Please note that typical czech beer culture allows smoking in pubs.

             Michal

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:09:36 +0100

All restaurants and beer places recommended have a non-smoking section.
When you are making reservation, they always ask for your preference.

Smoking in all areas is more usual in pubs, bars and clubs.

Anna

---

From: Paul Sangster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 07:38:36 -0700

I was alittle surprised not to see a couple great beer spots on the list, so thought I'd add my 2 cents (as an avid brewer and "national" ranked beer judge).  I'd recommend visiting the somewhat touristy but great brewpub called U fleku (IMO atmosphere and food is better than beers though).  It's the oldest continually operating brewpub in the world (in building from 1499).  For information on U fleku, see http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=368 (or google it).  

Another of my favorites and arguably the best brewery in town (even have a good English IPA on right now) is the brewpub at the Strahov Monastery near the Prague Castle.  Its called Klášterní pivovar Strahov (Strahov Monastery Brewery).  It opened shortly before the last IETF in Prague and has expanded quite a bit.  Note that this is a pretty long walk from the Hilton.  For more information see: http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/prague_pubs.html (top of the page).  

Paul

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:80attendees-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:44 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [80attendees] Beer places in Prague
> 
> Hello all beer lovers,
>

---

From: Luis Balbinot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:22:37 +0200

Great tip Paul and Anna, thanks! We went out last night and found nothing different from Urquell and Budvar! I'm a hop head, so I'll check the  Strahov Monastery for sure!

Are there other homebrewers at IETF 80 other than me?? We should meet somewhere during this week!

Luis

>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=204 .

Luis Balbinot
Commcorp Telecom
(51) 2101-1801 - iNOC: 14840*LFB
[email-masked]

---

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:28:54 +0200

> Please note that typical czech beer culture allows smoking in pubs.

Yes, terrible. Back from Potrefena Husa near Karluv Most and my clothes
smell awful. In the bar I thought it was not too bad and the beer was
nice, but back in fresh air I can really smell the damage.

So, anyone know of smoke free bars in Prague?

	rvdp

---

From: "Dmitry Kohmanyuk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:37:00 -0700

> nice, but back in fresh air I can really smell the damage.

It may help to air your clothing for a day while keeping window open...
But it is indeed often the case here, especially in colder months when
There is no outside seating.  I would recommend not very popular bars.

> So, anyone know of smoke free bars in Prague?

As somebody from organizers said, there should be a non-smoking section
  in a bar but you have to ask for it.  There are aome smoke-free cafes
  too.

---

From: Vladimir Broz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:58:16 +0200

On 03/27/2011 11:37 PM, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
>
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:28 +0200, "Ronald van der Pol"<[email-masked]>
> wrote:
...

...
http://gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/index.php?content=uvod&lang=eng 
<http://gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/index.php?content=uvod&lang=eng>
this one should be smoke free... and it's approx. 5 minutes walk from 
Hilton (location map 
<http://www.mapy.cz/#mm=ZTtTcP@sa=s@st=s@ssq=K%C5%99i%C5%BE%C3%ADkova%2017%2C%20praha@sss=1@ssp=120527980_125071052_150051948_149925580@x=133115712@y=135965696@z=15>)

BR,
-Vladimir B.

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:43:45 +0200

Hi,

>    in a bar but you have to ask for it.  There are aome smoke-free cafes

Bad news is that your clotes get smell in most pubs even if you are in 
"non smoking section".

                     Michal - non smoking person

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:48:53 +0200

Hi,

> <http://www.mapy.cz/#mm=ZTtTcP@sa=s@st=s@ssq=K%C5%99i%C5%BE%C3%ADkova%2017%2C%20praha@sss=1@ssp=120527980_125071052_150051948_149925580@x=133115712@y=135965696@z=15>)

reservation STRONGLY recommended (in CEE region it means - you most 
likely get a message "no space" with no reservation in the evenings).

On the other hand - there are Starbucks, McDonalds and KFC a few blocks 
away and they offer non-smoking environment. Everything is a tradeoff 
and CZ is not smart enough to ban smoking in pubs :-(

                 REgards
                         Michal

---

From: "Bill Ver Steeg (versteb)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:42:14 -0500

+1 on U fleku - I just got back from a very nice brew-pub dinner, complete with accordion player

Bvs

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Luis Balbinot
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:23 AM
To: Paul Sangster
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [80attendees] Beer places in Prague

Luis

On Mar 26, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Paul Sangster wrote:

>> places. Here http://www.ietf80.cz/page/861/ietf-80---where-to-go/ you 
>> can find a list of those we would like to recommend to you.
>> 
>> Would you like to taste a beer cooked in Prague? Visit Novomestsky 
>> pivovar or Potrefena Husa.
>> 
>> Are you interested to visit any of those restaurants? Don´t hestitate 
>> and make your reservation.
>> 
>> Cheers,
>> Anna
>> CZ.NIC
>> 

Luis Balbinot
Commcorp Telecom

---

From: Василий Долматов <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:15:18 +0400

> So, anyone know of smoke free bars in Prague?

Svet Piva
Pivovarsky Klub

dol@

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:52:28 -0700

On 3/27/2011 2:58 PM, Vladimir Broz wrote:
[...]
> Would you like to try variations of small czech breweries? Visit

It's a wonderful place, but may get rather full at night. Only 5 minutes
walk from the Hilton.

Someone asked about Gluten free beer, they have 2 bottled ones, one
Czech, one German.

Stig

---

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:39:24 +0200

Thank you very much for this excellent suggestion:

> Visit Vytopna.

We just returned from this fabulous place. Surely something that  
appeals to engineers! Check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrpwF47D15w

from their webpage:
http://praha-en.vytopna.cz/

the address is:
Václavské náměstí 56, Praha, Česká republika

google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=V%C3%A1clavsk%C3%A9+n%C3%A1m%C4%9Bst%C3%AD+56,+Praha,+%C4%8Cesk%C3%A1+republika&aq=0&sll=49.964473,14.381962&sspn=0.025729,0.062742&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=V%C3%A1clavsk%C3%A9+n%C3%A1m%C4%9Bst%C3%AD+802%2F56,+110+00+Praha-Nov%C3%A9+M%C4%9Bsto,+Czech+Republic&ll=50.087602,14.424706&spn=0.025663,0.062742&z=14

and the food was very good too!

Cheers,
Michael

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:19:45 +0100

Nice one!  Thanks Valdimir.

Just a word of caution.. fast all day or take a friend if you fancy 
trying the whole Pork Knuckle.  Mine weighed in at 1.293 kg, and I had 
quite enough left over for a very large knuckle sandwich when I ran out 
of steam (even if I had skipped breakfast and lunch).  It was nice, 
tender meat but ****TOOOOO MUCH****!  They do however do doggy bags (or 
at least polystyrene boxes).

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: David Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:22:28 +0200

Same is true at Kolkovna...it was excellent, but truly massive.

On Mar 29, 2011, at 11:19 , Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Just a word of caution.. fast all day or take a friend if you fancy trying the whole Pork Knuckle.  Mine weighed in at 1.293 kg, and I had quite enough left over for a very large knuckle sandwich when I ran out of steam (even if I had skipped breakfast and lunch).  It was nice, tender meat but ****TOOOOO MUCH****!  They do however do doggy bags (or at least polystyrene boxes).
> 
> Regards,
> Elwyn
> 
> 
> 
> Vladimir Broz wrote:
>> ...
>> http://gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/index.php?content=uvod&lang=eng <http://gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/index.php?content=uvod&lang=eng>
>> this one should be smoke free... and it's approx. 5 minutes walk from Hilton (location map <http://www.mapy.cz/#mm=ZTtTcP@sa=s@st=s@ssq=K%C5%99i%C5%BE%C3%ADkova%2017%2C%20praha@sss=1@ssp=120527980_125071052_150051948_149925580@x=133115712@y=135965696@z=15>)
>> 
>> BR,
>> -Vladimir B.
> 

David Singer
Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.