Subject: [84attendees] IETF network flaky?

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:55:42 -0700

I'm getting lots of loss / latency over here in Regency A.

$ ping google.com
PING google.com (173.194.33.38): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=8 ttl=58 time=177.840 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=9 ttl=58 time=71.815 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=10 ttl=58 time=128.226 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=11 ttl=58 time=399.053 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=12 ttl=58 time=379.269 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=13 ttl=58 time=343.350 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=14 ttl=58 time=329.709 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=15 ttl=58 time=192.804 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=16 ttl=58 time=500.503 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=17 ttl=58 time=267.421 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=18 ttl=58 time=222.140 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=19 ttl=58 time=299.404 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=20 ttl=58 time=174.009 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=21 ttl=58 time=155.067 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=22 ttl=58 time=381.544 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=23 ttl=58 time=354.601 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=24 ttl=58 time=148.207 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 25
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=25 ttl=58 time=1121.351 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=26 ttl=58 time=386.057 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=27 ttl=58 time=234.165 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=29 ttl=58 time=143.535 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=30 ttl=58 time=367.685 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31
Request timeout for icmp_seq 32
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=31 ttl=58 time=2738.300 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=32 ttl=58 time=1816.987 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=33 ttl=58 time=934.476 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=34 ttl=58 time=204.337 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=35 ttl=58 time=579.382 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.38: icmp_seq=36 ttl=58 time=209.256 ms
^C
$ traceroute google.com
traceroute: Warning: google.com has multiple addresses; using 173.194.33.41
traceroute to google.com (173.194.33.41), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  rtra (130.129.16.2)  211.494 ms  23.713 ms  22.192 ms
 2  206.108.220.56 (206.108.220.56)  93.770 ms  6.593 ms  2.108 ms
 3  75.154.216.250 (75.154.216.250)  7.548 ms  7.956 ms  5.164 ms
 4  * * *
 5  209.85.249.34 (209.85.249.34)  9.744 ms  7.257 ms  6.596 ms
 6  209.85.253.26 (209.85.253.26)  9.244 ms  6.171 ms  5.655 ms
 7  sea09s02-in-f9.1e100.net (173.194.33.41)  8.826 ms  7.414 ms  8.171 ms

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:58:25 -0700

> I'm getting lots of loss / latency over here in Regency A.

Barely a problem in the back of Regency D.

--- google.com ping statistics ---
13 packets transmitted, 13 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 6.965/115.859/1111.901/289.023 ms
[09:57:08 ~ (0)]$

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:02:18 -0700

Seems better here now too.  Guess it was just a hiccup.  Never mind!
--Richard

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:04:58 -0700

RIchard,
	We've got someone looking into it ... thanks for the report. None the less, a better solution would be to send a report to [email-masked] or submit a ticket at http://trac.meeting.ietf.org. That gets the issue directly in front of those who can look into it.

	- Jim

On Aug 2, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Richard Barnes <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees