Subject: [87attendees] Anyone using Fedora 18 on the IETF wifi?

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 01:27:48 -0700

If so please contact me offline.

My laptop is throwing a continuous stream of errors filling my messages log and brining my machine to a grinding halt.  It seems to be a warning from the 80211 stack trying to determine the channel type. I am curious if anyone else sees this or if it is just me?  I have tried 2 versions of the kernel to no avail, yet.  To keep my laptop usable I need to turn off the radio by switch before I boot up. Once it gets into the loop there seems to be no way to get out short of shutting down.  Maybe a different location (I'm in Charlottenburg 2/3) might help?

-derek

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

---

From: Dominik Bay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:36:15 +0200

On 07/29/2013 10:27 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> My laptop is throwing a continuous stream of errors filling my messages
> log and brining my machine to a grinding halt.  It seems to be a warning
> from the 80211 stack trying to determine the channel type. I am curious
> if anyone else sees this or if it is just me?  I have tried 2 versions
> of the kernel to no avail, yet.  To keep my laptop usable I need to turn
> off the radio by switch before I boot up. Once it gets into the loop
> there seems to be no way to get out short of shutting down.  Maybe a
> different location (I'm in Charlottenburg 2/3) might help?

I'm in Potsdam 1 now, I've seen my Linux system freeze after leaving
OpSec. Maybe this was the issue that you see too.

I see this:

Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.639917] WARNING: at
/home/apw/COD/linux/net/mac80211/mlme.c:366
ieee80211_determine_chantype+0x25f/0x390 [mac80211]()
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.639920] Modules linked in:
xt_TCPMSS xt_tcpmss xt_tcpudp iptable_mangle ip_tables x_tables
nls_iso8859_1 omfs jfs xfs libcrc32c reiserfs hfs hfsplus isofs nls_utf8
udf crc_itu_t mmc_block usb_storage ipheth ppp_deflate zlib_deflate
bsd_comp ppp_async crc_ccitt usbhid hid snd_hrtimer 8021q mrp garp stp
llc snd_hda_codec_hdmi intel_powerclamp snd_hda_codec_realtek kvm_intel
thinkpad_acpi snd_hda_intel kvm snd_hda_codec snd_seq_midi snd_hwdep
arc4 snd_rawmidi snd_pcm snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_timer iwldvm
snd_seq_device mac80211 snd nvram btusb tpm_tis microcode iwlwifi
cfg80211 bnep psmouse rfcomm uvcvideo parport_pc bluetooth serio_raw
videobuf2_core ppdev cdc_mbim lpc_ich lp parport videodev
videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_memops cdc_ncm soundcore usbnet
snd_page_alloc nfsd nfs_acl auth_rpcgss cdc_acm cdc_wdm nfs fscache
lockd binfmt_misc sunrpc mac_hid ext2 lm75 coretemp dm_crypt i915
crc32_pclmul ghash_clmulni_intel aesni_intel drm_kms_helper ablk_helper
cryptd drm lrw g
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: f128mul e1000e glue_helper
i2c_algo_bit wmi aes_x86_64 video sdhci_pci ptp sdhci pps_core ahci
libahci [last unloaded: ipmi_msghandler]
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640160] CPU: 3 PID: 24816
Comm: kworker/u16:0 Tainted: G        W    3.10.0-999-generic #201305190405
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640162] Hardware name: LENOVO
23252GG/23252GG, BIOS G2ET86WW (2.06 ) 11/13/2012
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640171] Workqueue: phy0
ieee80211_iface_work [mac80211]
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640173]  ffffffffa0541498
ffff880163da5898 ffffffff816c1e98 ffff880163da58d8
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640176]  ffffffff81044c70
0000000000000001 ffff880163da59e0 ffff88020c18e800
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640190]  0000000000000810
ffff880212129070 0000000000000000 ffff880163da58e8
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640197] Call Trace:
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640245]  [<ffffffff816c1e98>]
dump_stack+0x19/0x1b
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640252]  [<ffffffff81044c70>]
warn_slowpath_common+0x70/0xa0
Jul 29 09:38:36 fledermaus kernel: [120142.640273]  [<ffffffff81044cba>]
warn_slowpath_null+0x1a/0x20

I'm on ietf-v6ONLY (2.4GHz) and running a 3.10.0 64bit Kernel, works
fine at the moment.

-dominik