Subject: [87attendees] Moving around Berlin, any bus/train pass

From: Wasif <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 02:32:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
What is the best way to move around Berlin or other cities. Any bus/train pass we can buy and use it for a week to move around Berlin.

Wasif

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 02:43:33 -0700

I think they'd (*) like you to buy the Berlin WelcomeCard:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17179/name/Berlin+WelcomeCard.html

No idea if that wold be a good deal for you. Probably mostly when you 
have time to visit some of the museums and benefit from the discounts included.

I have no idea of public transport in Berlin, but i'd bet:

 - If you only want a single public transport trip, just get one-off tickets.
 - If you want to do more than two trips take a day pass for public transport,
   usually they're cheaper after 9 AM/10AM (to isolate tourists from commuters).

It doesn't look as if there is a city-wide bike-rental system as in other cities like
Paris or Hamburg. Besides, Berlin is fairly large and not very densely built (few
highrise areas), so you're probably better off exploring individual areas by foot 
and use public transport or taxi between them. 

Cheers
   Toerless

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:32:34AM -0700, Wasif wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 87attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/87attendees

-- 
---
Toerless Eckert, [email-masked]
Cisco NSSTG Systems & Technology Architecture
SDN: Let me play with the network, mommy!

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:44:45 +0200

Regional trains are cheap and an option to go to other cities. Also buses
are available.

http://www.vbb.de/de/index.html for trains

https://www.berlinlinienbus.de/index.php?lang=en for buses

Inside the city you can buy weekly ticket which is valid for a week to go
everywere in Berlin.

Hosnieh

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Wasif
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [87attendees] Moving around Berlin, any bus/train pass

Hi all,

What is the best way to move around Berlin or other cities. Any bus/train
pass we can buy and use it for a week to move around Berlin.

Wasif

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:56:23 +0200

Follow up,

Group ticket is cheaper than single ticket. If you plan to visit other
cities then try to find min 3 or more people and buy a group ticket. This is
true especially for trains. :-)

Hosnieh

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:11:31 +0200

> and use public transport or taxi between them.

For renting a bike, there are some stations. 
http://www.fahrradstation.com/fahrradstation.php/cat/2/title/Stationen
Friedrich Str.
http://www.berlinfahrradverleih.com/ in Zoologischer Garten

Hosnieh

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 13:45:04 +0200

Hi,

> and use public transport or taxi between them.
In fact, Deutsche Bahn offers a city wide rental system:

http://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/index.php

But I'm not sure how this works for foreign customers from abroad. But you should give
it a try. They have stations all around the city where you can pick up a bike.

  Nic

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:32:56 +0000

> http://www.berlinfahrradverleih.com/ in Zoologischer Garten

I wonder if the hotel would let us keep a bike in our rooms.

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:14:01 -0700

Unfortunately the WelcomeCard is only available in 2, 3, and 5 days,
whereas you could get an AB transit pass for a 7 day visit for 28€.
A 1-day AB transit pass is €6,50, which makes sense for > 2 trips (a
single ticket is €2,40).

-derek

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 2013 09:41:54 -0400

> A 1-day AB transit pass is €6,50, which makes sense for > 2 trips (a

Assuming you plan to go places for dinner that are beyond walking 
distance, get the AB weekly pass, which is availabie from the transport 
desk at at the airport.  You may not save any money compared to
short trip/4 trip/group trip, but you won't have to do a non-linear 
optimization problem every time you get on the bus.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:51:05 +0200

> A 1-day AB transit pass is €6,50, which makes sense for > 2 trips (a

The 7 day pass is transferrable and allows you 'guest(s)' between 8pm and 3am
the following day as well as Sat/Sun.
<http://www.vbb.de/en/article/to-get-along/to-get-along/7073.html>

-Peter

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:51:12 -0700

> optimization problem every time you get on the bus.

That was certainly my plan.  I was going to look at the WelcomeCard but
then it leaves me with 2 extra days where I'd need to buy tickets.

-derek

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:20:40 +0200

> I wonder if the hotel would let us keep a bike in our rooms.

Why do you want to keep your bike in your room? You can easily lock it in
front of the hotel. The place where you rent a bike also give you locks and
everything that you need to lock it wherever you like. Of course, the hotel
also might have a safe place to put a bike.

Hosnieh

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:56:09 +0000

> also might have a safe place to put a bike.

So it wouldn't get stolen.   But of course I have no idea how big a problem that is in Berlin—I'm just remembering all the warnings about bike theft from the Maastricht visit, which was the last time I considered renting a bike during IETF.   :}

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:00:59 +0000

Is it allowed to get up to the microphone with the bike?

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Puolesta Ted Lemon
Lähetetty: 21. heinäkuuta 2013 17:56
Vastaanottaja: Hosnieh Rafiee
Kopio: <[email-masked]>; Toerless Eckert; Wasif
Aihe: Re: [87attendees] Moving around Berlin, any bus/train pass

On Jul 21, 2013, at 10:20 AM, Hosnieh Rafiee <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Why do you want to keep your bike in your room? You can easily lock it 
> in front of the hotel. The place where you rent a bike also give you 
> locks and everything that you need to lock it wherever you like. Of 
> course, the hotel also might have a safe place to put a bike.

So it wouldn't get stolen.   But of course I have no idea how big a problem that is in Berlin-I'm just remembering all the warnings about bike theft from the Maastricht visit, which was the last time I considered renting a bike during IETF.   :}

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:14:00 -0700

Maybe not as bad as New York, but i think as a city, Berlin is trying to get
there wrt. to bicycle theft.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesspiegel.de%2Fthemen%2FFahrraddiebstahl

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:56:09PM +0000, Ted Lemon wrote:
> So it wouldn't get stolen.   But of course I have no idea how big a problem that is in Berlin?I'm just remembering all the warnings about bike theft from the Maastricht visit, which was the last time I considered renting a bike during IETF.   :}
>

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:24:45 +0200

> So it wouldn't get stolen.   But of course I have no idea how big a
problem that
> is in Berlin-I'm just remembering all the warnings about bike theft from
the
> Maastricht visit, which was the last time I considered renting a bike
during
> IETF.   :}
This is true that there are a lot of warnings about bike's thefts. Because
thieves in Berlin also really love bicycles but it depends on the place
where you leave your bike as well as how you lock your bike.  Some areas of
Berlin are really safe. The other thing is how you lock your bike. If you
lock it just on the front wheel, they easily steal the rest of  your bike
except the front wheel :-).  Of course, when you rent a bike, it has a kind
of lock that is attached to the body of your bike. The rental bike companies
know how to safe their bike.
In general, Berlin is pretty a safe city. However, there are some areas that
not recommended to go as a tourist. The place of IETF is almost the heart of
Berlin and safe. But you should never leave your bike, without locking it,
even though  you might leave it for a short period of time to buy something.
You can also ask the place where you rent a bike about the circumstances of
a stolen bike. 

I know many people lock their bikes at the train stations (sbahn). I assume
that you can also ask a hotel for a safe place to lock your bike. (you can
send them an email and ask them) I am sure they assist you in this case. So
I am sure, you will not need to take it with you in your room in order to
secure it :-).

Hosnieh