Subject: [87attendees] Free Public Wifi in Berlin

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:18:16 -0700

FYI, there appears to be some free public wifi available in some
locations around Berlin.  So if you're playing tourist and don't have a
GSM phone (or don't have local service) you might still be able to get
online long enough to get transit directions.

http://www.visitberlin.de/en/article/w-lan-for-all-public-wi-fi-berlin

-derek

PS: Apparently there are apps that will help you find the wifi hotspots,
but unlike the wifi the apps are not free.  YMMV.

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jul 2013 13:26:13 -0400

> but unlike the wifi the apps are not free.  YMMV.

Here's the map of where they are, for people who want to plan ahead.

http://www.berlin.de/projektzukunft/ikt-wirtschaft/breitband/wlan-hotspots-des-landes-berlin/

There aren't a lot near the hotel.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:38:04 +0300

FWIW, there's a free Hotspotfinder Berlin app on Google Play store. I 
cannot test it while I'm still in Tel Aviv...

Thanks,
	Yaron

On 2013-07-23 20:18, Derek Atkins wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 87attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/87attendees
>

---

From: Jim Gettys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:11:51 -0400

Note that that the IETF is venturing into an area with a significant
community networking activity, which is a land of mesh networking (e.g.
OLSR, BATMAN, and Babel routing protocols have all been developed in these
communities; I think OLSR is what you'll find used in the Freifunk network).

See: http://start.freifunk.net/

I have not visited Berlin recently, but was blown away when I visited the
Catalonia region of Spain for a Battlemesh meeting a couple years ago, and
understood the scale at which the largest of these European community
networks (guifi.net) now operates.  See http://guifi.net/ca/maps for a map
of that network; it has about 21,000 active nodes, almost 40,000KM of
wireless links. That was the only place I have ever seen a completely
"green" netalyzr run, including IPv6.

I have no clue if freifunk have open routers near the hotels, however.  I'm
trying to find out.  But if you see "freifunk" in an ESSID, that would be
one useful clue...
                                              - Jim

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.berlin.de/**projektzukunft/ikt-wirtschaft/**
> breitband/wlan-hotspots-des-**landes-berlin/<http://www.berlin.de/projektzukunft/ikt-wirtschaft/breitband/wlan-hotspots-des-landes-berlin/>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> 87attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/87attendees<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/87attendees>
>

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:52:02 +0000

I am currently in Berlin, and at least the Starbucks I've visited had free wifi.

Regards,

Christer

Sent from Windows using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Atkins [[email-masked]]
To: [email-masked] [[email-masked]]
Subject: [87attendees] Free Public Wifi in Berlin

-derek

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:48:56 +0200

Hi,

there are many cafes offering free WiFi. Simply ask for an access code.

  regards

     Nic

________________________________
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Christer Holmberg
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2013 21:52
An: Derek Atkins; 87attendees_ietf.org
Betreff: Re: [87attendees] Free Public Wifi in Berlin

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Atkins [[email-masked]]
To: [email-masked] [[email-masked]]
Subject: [87attendees] Free Public Wifi in Berlin

-derek