Subject: [87attendees] Orlando subnet

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:32:11 +0000

Tonight my phone is giving me the weather for Orlando.

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:36:44 -0700

> Tonight my phone is giving me the weather for Orlando.  

Repeat after me:   GeoLocation Sucks.

The databases don't understand how to deal with networks like ours that
move around the world.

-derek

---

From: Lukasz Budzisz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:38:32 +0200

> The databases don't understand how to deal with networks like ours that
same here.

------------------------------------------
Łukasz Budzisz, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin)
Telecommunication Networks Group
Tel: +49 30 314 23836
------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:56:07 +0100

Scott,

> Tonight my phone is giving me the weather for Orlando.

I've had a noc ticket on this already:

Comment:

    The issue we have with the geolocation services is two-fold in that
    the data used to Geolocate an advertised network is collected
    intermittently, and that it is viewed as an aggregate. It's the same
    problem we see at NANOG and ICANN (and really any network that
    advertises public space and moves around). We've had limited success
    with communicating our hardware addresses to the Skyhook service in
    advance of an event (I did this with NANOG), and with attempting to
    alert other GL providers like Google.
    So yes, it is going to show you as being in Orlando, and it's
    probably going to show you as being in Berlin while we are in
    Vancouver this fall. It's been an ongoing process with the providers
    and at this point, no resolution exists. We are working on a
    solution in which we start advertising our IP space well in advance
    of the meeting using a Linux box that pushes traffic occasionally
    (just advertising doesn't work/the services require traffic to
    update GL), but this solution is still just on paper. Sorry for any
    trouble this has caused.

P.

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:04:04 +0000

Please don't work too hard on fixing it. I enjoy that the IETF ghosts around the world.

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:14:16 +0200

> Tonight my phone is giving me the weather for Orlando.  

http://www.iplocation.net

This shows us as being in Czech Republic and San Francisco.

Bob

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:47:56 -0700

>  The databases don't understand how to deal with networks like ours that

To to explain that to people who think geolocation is a solved 
problem because when they do a web search it finds where they are. 
(There's good wording somewhere that I've forgotten that expresses 
how dangerous it is when things are almost always right, because 
people forget about that "almost.")

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
In examinations the foolish ask questions that the wise cannot answer.
                                                        --Oscar Wilde

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:50:29 -0700

>  Please don't work too hard on fixing it. I enjoy that the IETF 

+1

It's kind of fun sitting in a meeting room in, say, Stockholm, when 
geolocation services insist I'm at a precise address in San Francisco.

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
The men sat sipping their tea in silence.  After a while the klutz
said, "Life is like a bowl of sour cream."
     "Like a bowl of sour cream?" asked the other.  "Why?"
     "How should I know?  What am I, a philosopher?"

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 01:08:53 +0200

Not so fun when I'm in Germany trying to use my Netflix account, which is blocking me because they cannot distribute into Taiwan... :-(

/a

On Jul 31, 2013, at 21:50, Randall Gellens <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's kind of fun sitting in a meeting room in, say, Stockholm, when geolocation services insist I'm at a precise address in San Francisco.
> 
> -- 
> Randall Gellens
> _______________________________________________
> 87attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/87attendees

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:46:48 +0200

On Aug 1, 2013, at 01:08, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Taiwan

I believe we should collect these experiences and tally the average latency of the various services in picking up IETF's "movements"...

Taiwan is 5 meetings ago, Prague (which has been cited here) is 7 meetings ago.  Wow.

Grüße, Carsten