Subject: [87attendees] Apple Plug Swap

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 02:28:04 -0700

Apple laptops and iPads have power adapters with removable plugs.
There are two kinds: self-contained plugs that connect the power
adapter directly to a wall power outlet, and cables that attach to the
power adapter at one end and plug into the wall at the other. Pictures
are attached showing the US and UK versions of these plugs and cables.

Apple sells a travel kit containing an assortment of the
self-contained plugs, but not, as far as I know, the power cables.

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/B/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit>

If you've owned several Apple devices, chances are that by now you may
have accumulated a few spare plugs and cables. If anyone with a spare
European plug or cable would like to swap one for a US plug or cable
(would be useful for the next IETF meeting in Vancouver), let me know.

Stuart Cheshire

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 03:04:34 -0700 (PDT)

Stuart,

This is a great idea for a swap activity. I personally have more US
cables than I can use and a complete set of Interenational ones too
(UK, Europe, Australia, India and South Africa). I am not sure why
Apple excludes India and South Africa from the adapter kit (please
pass this on), but one of these days I will show you an Indian one
that I actually built!

Of course, spare cable can always be "converted" by chopping off the
"business end" and attaching a local plug instead, but I like your
idea of a cable/plug swap for Vancouver. I'll bring what I have in
terms of spares.

By the way, the UK plug in your picture is an old version. The new
adapter kit includes a much slimmer version.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:45:09 -0400

On 07/29/2013 06:04 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

> This is a great idea for a swap activity.

+1, and fun to collect the set :-)

The "business end" of apple power adapters is in fact a standard IEC
C7/C8 plug/socket, if you don't need them to be white and flush with the
branded adaptor there's lots of other sources of such plugs and leads, e.g.

-
http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Charger-Interchangeable-Smartphone-Packaging/dp/B006VP6X4U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q65FY4OY8N7H&coliid=I1J5SZL5JCM52W

-
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=931917c497ed4cada6d6f2fe5fb68391&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D251249154253%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AL%3AOC%3AGB%3A3160

Keith