Subject: [87attendees] NAT64/DNS64 service on the IETF network

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 01:08:33 +0200

We are piloting a NAT64/DNS64 service on the IETF network. To use this
service, connect to the SSID called "ietf-nat64".

IPv6 clients should use stateless autoconfiguration, and may use DHCPv6 to
retrieve name server information. Note that, like the other IETF networks,
name server information is not included in the router advertisements. As
this network is IPv6-only, clients will not get name server information
from IPv4. If your client does not support stateless DHCPv6, you will have
to configure your name server IP addresses manually to use DNS. This
network provides name servers at 2001:df8:0:5::16 and 2001:df8:0:5::17.

This service is provided so attendees can experience an IPv6-only network,
yet access IPv4-only services using an IPv6 to IPv4 NAT service. As with
all NAT services, this will provide users with connectivity to many or most
resources, however, some resources may not work. References listing many
services that will or will not work are located at:

http://wiki.test-ipv6.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnVbRg3DotzFdGVwZWlWeG5wXzVMcG5qczZEZloxWGc#gid=0

Please give feedback on this service. If you have specific issues with this
implementation of a NAT64 service, please let us know using any of the
usual ways to contact the NOC. And, of course, feel free to give feedback
about the standards to the appropriate working groups.

This pilot is provided through the following software and hardware:

Nominum is providing a caching name server to perform DNS64 translation.
A10 Networks is providing a network switch to perform wire-speed NAT64
translation.

The following people did the work to get this service up and running:

Ted Lemon
James Brister
Konstatin Dunaev
Jim Martin
Bjoern Zeeb
Colin Doyle
Chris Elliott

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]
CCIE # 2013

---

From: "GangChen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:16:06 +0800

I'm using win7 to access "ietf-nat64", everything is working well as
expected

One interested thing I found is:

When I switch the SSID "ietf" to SSID "ietf-nat64", the old IPv4 address is
kept. 

And this IPv4 address is still valid for all the IPv4 applications.

Not sure that is a common case if you do same process

BRs

Gang

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chris Elliott
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [87attendees] NAT64/DNS64 service on the IETF network

IPv6 clients should use stateless autoconfiguration, and may use DHCPv6 to
retrieve name server information. Note that, like the other IETF networks,
name server information is not included in the router advertisements. As
this network is IPv6-only, clients will not get name server information from
IPv4. If your client does not support stateless DHCPv6, you will have to
configure your name server IP addresses manually to use DNS. This network
provides name servers at 2001:df8:0:5::16 and 2001:df8:0:5::17.

This service is provided so attendees can experience an IPv6-only network,
yet access IPv4-only services using an IPv6 to IPv4 NAT service. As with all
NAT services, this will provide users with connectivity to many or most
resources, however, some resources may not work. References listing many
services that will or will not work are located at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnVbRg3DotzFdGVwZWlWeG5wXzVMcG5
qczZEZloxWGc#gid=0

Please give feedback on this service. If you have specific issues with this
implementation of a NAT64 service, please let us know using any of the usual
ways to contact the NOC. And, of course, feel free to give feedback about
the standards to the appropriate working groups.

Ted Lemon
James Brister
Konstatin Dunaev
Jim Martin
Bjoern Zeeb
Colin Doyle  <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif> 

Chris Elliott

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]

CCIE # 2013

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:46:56 +0200

Gang,

I just tested this, and there is no IPv4 connectivity through the A10 box,
so I don't believe you are actually seeing end-to-end IPv4 connectivity. I
will speculate that your OS/browser/app is using IPv6 and NAT64 is helping
to hide this fact. If you believe otherwise, please come by the NOC (next
to the terminal room) and we'll take a look.

Thanks!
Chris.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM, GangChen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I’m using win7 to access “ietf-nat64”, everything is working well as
> expected****
>
> One interested thing I found is:****
>
> When I switch the SSID “ietf” to SSID “ietf-nat64”, the old IPv4 address
> is kept. ****
>
> And this IPv4 address is still valid for all the IPv4 applications.****
>
> Not sure that is a common case if you do same process****
>
> ** **
>
> BRs****
>
> ** **
>
> Gang
>

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]

---

From: "Cao,Zhen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:53:05 +0200

Gang,

You can wait until the IP configuration refresh. I saw a link local v4
address on my win7 machine.

-z

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM, GangChen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Gang****
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *On Behalf Of *Chris Elliott
> *Sent:* Monday, July 29, 2013 7:09 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [87attendees] NAT64/DNS64 service on the IETF network****
>
> ** **
>
> services that will or will not work are located at:****
>
>
> *http://wiki.test-ipv6.com/wiki/Main_Page*****
>
> ** **
>
>
> ****
> Please give feedback on this service. If you have specific issues with
> this implementation of a NAT64 service, please let us know using any of the
> Colin Doyle****
> Chris Elliott****
> [email-masked]****
> CCIE # 2013****
> _______________________________________________
> 87attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/87attendees
>

---

From: "GangChen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:55:42 +0800

Ok 

That is a issue of Win7 console display. After several seconds, the IPv4 is
disappeared.

Thanks for the debugging

-Gang

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chris Elliott
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 4:47 PM
To: GangChen
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [87attendees] NAT64/DNS64 service on the IETF network

Gang,

I just tested this, and there is no IPv4 connectivity through the A10 box,
so I don't believe you are actually seeing end-to-end IPv4 connectivity. I
will speculate that your OS/browser/app is using IPv6 and NAT64 is helping
to hide this fact. If you believe otherwise, please come by the NOC (next to
the terminal room) and we'll take a look.

Thanks!

Chris.

BRs

Gang

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]