Subject: [88all] Vancouver 88 Report

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:10:32 -0500

All,

I wanted to give you some feedback on the meeting in Vancouver.  

Attendance Exceeds Budget Forecast

Paid attendance was 1,156 for the meeting, exceeding the 2013 Budget forecast of 1,115 for IETF 88.  First timers numbered 135, our 
high number this year was 302 in Berlin.

Network Rocked

As usual Verilan and the IETF Volunteers delivered a rock-solid connectivity experience with the 2, 1 GB links from Telus, and using 
our new address space that Netnod acquired for the IETF.  Wireless associations topped 1,200 during the meeting.   There were some 
issues in the Wednesday AM Plenary, but after channelizing and reducing power on the 5ghz band access it appeared to normalize.  
A lesson for us going forward.  This team also supports the unique requirements of the Bits-N-Bites sponsors.  Thanks team.   Even though 
a long time ago now, we remember when it wasn't this way.  You can find the detailed NOC report here: 
 <http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETF88-NOC-Report.pdf> See below for a list of the NOC Team members.

One more thing - most of the gear we use has been donated by Cisco.  As a part of their Multi-Year Hosting Agreement they have agreed 
to refresh our equipment, which will take place next year, and two more times in the future.  Thanks Cisco!  We greatly appreciate your 
continuing commitment to the IETF.  

Remote Participation

Meetecho supported 39 sessions in Vancouver, which included 4 BoFs and the 2 Plenaries.  There were 2 remote presentations, in PPSP 
and CLUE, which went very well.  What we learned, Meetecho low-delay streams are allow for actual interaction with the room; Meetecho 
slides synched with audio/video well; but Meetecho jabber chat needs some improvements.  The Meetecho team is going to work on that.  
See <http://iaoc.ietf.org/rps.html>.  You can find the presentations recorded by Meetecho here:  
<http://www.ietf.org/meeting/88/remote-participation.html#Meetecho>

The Meetecho team will be in London and looking to double the number of sessions that are covered.  

There was also an active remote speaker videoconferencing for two working groups where one chair each could not be present in person 
(6man and mboned). The setup was perceived to be well working by both in-room chair/speaker/audience as well as the remote working 
group chairs.  The details of which can be found here: <http://iaoc.ietf.org/rps.html>

Bits-n-Bites

Bits-N-Bites turned out to be a popular event again with good exhibits, a great turnout and lots of food. Once again we had some problems getting 
gear, but John Brzozowski still made it happen.  

I've listed all of the Bit-N-Bites sponsors below.  Thanks for your support.  And from the community, we'd like to hear from you about particular 
themes you'd like BnB to explore.

Meeting Logistics

The Secretariat reports they had excellent cooperation from the Hyatt staff throughout the event in all aspects of the meeting, including 
food and beverage, meeting room support and audio visual.  Many of the Hyatt staff were here during IETF 84.  Thanks again to the 
Hyatt for sponsoring the Welcome Reception and the Newcomer Meet and Greet with the ADs and WG Chairs.  

IETF 89 London

There are about 100 days until we meet at the Hilton Metropole in London.  The meeting will be hosted by ICANN.  We were last in 
London in 2001 at IETF 51.  Hope to see you there.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

NOC Vols

Bill Fenner (Arista)
Bill Jensen (UW-Madison)
Bjoern Zeeb (Cambridge Uni.)
Chris Elliott
Joe Clark (Cisco)
Joel Jaeggli (Zynga)
Jim Martin (ISC)
Karen O’Donoghue (ISOC)
Lucy Lynch (ISOC)
Warren Kumari (Google)
Hans Khun (NSRC)

From Verilan:
- Nick Kukich
- Colin Doyle
- James Dishongh
- Brandon Height
- Rick Alfvin
- Edward McNair
- Dallas Breed
- Sean Croghan

Bits-N-Bites Sponsors
A10 Networks
Alcatel-UPMC-iMinds
China Telecom & Huawei & Futurewei
Comcast
Dyn
Huawei
SDN-NG Consortium