Subject: Re: [89attendees] IETF 89 London - Tube from LHR (was Tube strikes and Oyster cards)

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:18:33 +0100

[Switching mailing lists]

On 2/5/14, 4:09 PM, Scott Brim wrote:
> How long does it take by tube? I land at 9:25 pm and would prefer to
> get to the hotel by midnight.

Landing at 9:25-> getting out of Customs about an hour later.

The tube will take you a little over an hour.  You should be there
before midnight, assuming no major issues at Heathrow.  See
journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk.

Eliot

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:21:43 +0000

or 2230 with fish ’n chips at Mickey’s Norfolk place(as recommended by Heston Bluhmenthal and a pint next door in the Fountains abbey on Praed St if you take the Heathrow express.

If there is a tube strike that day you may not even get into the hotel with buses until 0200\
regards
dave
On 5 Feb 2014, at 15:18, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Landing at 21:25-> getting out of Customs about an hour later.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:28:21 +0000

> journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk.
Just a note that the Heathrow Connect services are infrequent after 9pm:
https://www.heathrowconnect.com/train-times
>From T5: 21:12 22:33 23:24 -<-last train
and a few minutes later from T4 or T1/3.

Also it appears that Heathrow Express will only be running every 30 mins
after 10pm from 11 Feb due to major engineering works for Crossrail:
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/timetable-schedule
Departures from T5: 22:12 22:42 23:12 23:42 -<-last train

Last underground from Heathrow T5 is 00:18 (early morning after Mon-Sat)
and 23:51 (Sunday) but this is not the whole story as the last through
trains to central London leave earlier (23:42 Mon-Sat). However there is
a train every 10 minutes up to this time and it will take just about an
hour to Edgware Road.  The last two trains only go part way and you have
to change to a bus - yuck! If your budget doesn't run to a taxi at this
time of night, the N9 bus all the way might be a better option than
changing twice.  Use the Transport for London journey planner:
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

If Customs haven't let you out by then there's only the N9 bus into
Central London (every 20 mins from the Heathrow Central Bus Station
throughout the night) or a taxi. 

Elwyn

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:30:40 -0500

[ + 89attendees]
>From a thread on 89attendees (where this really should be...):
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/89attendees/current/msg00012.html

Getting from Paddington to the Hilton:
You could take a cab, but the hotel is 0.4mile away, and an easy, flat
walk. Took me <7 minutes.
Google Maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/XIAE7

Walk out onto Praed street - it's the "main" entrance - basically
continue walking in the same direction the train was going, up a ramp
/ closed road.
Turn left when you get onto the actual road. You will walk past
Garfunkels bar and a Mercure hotel. On the 2nd or 3rd block, just
before the big metal gates for St Mary's, look up  -- this is where Sir
Alexander Flemming discovered Penicillium mould. Say a quick "Thanks",
life would be substantially worse without this. I would also lose my
primary excuse for keeping a messy desk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fleming

Continue walking along Praed. The hotel shows up on your left, just
after a Carphone Warehouse (they sell SIMs -
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims. I haven't checked if this is a
good deal). If you reach Marks&Spenser you have walked right past it.
Turn 180 degrees and walk in.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Ross Callon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Is there any danger of the Heathrow Express being shut down if there is a Tube strike?
>
> Also, looking at Google maps, it looks like one should just walk from the Paddington Station to the Metropole (9 minute walk, straight up Praed street to Edgware Rd).  For those of us in good health with wheels on our suitcase and arriving during daylight, is there any reason not to just walk it?
>
> Thanks, Ross
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ietf [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ted Lemon
> Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:15 AM
> To: Scott Brim
> Cc: Tim Chown; IETF discussion list
> Subject: Re: IETF 89 London - Tube from LHR (was Tube strikes and Oyster cards)
>
> On Feb 5, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Scott Brim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Take Heathrow Express.   You won't be sorry.   That's a really long tube ride at 9:25 pm.
>
>
>
>

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:59:55 -0500

+1

I have walked that route many times with luggage. That hotel is the one
they often hold the RSA Europe conference in.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Also, looking at Google maps, it looks like one should just walk from
> the Paddington Station to the Metropole (9 minute walk, straight up Praed
> street to Edgware Rd).  For those of us in good health with wheels on our
> suitcase and arriving during daylight, is there any reason not to just walk
> it?
> >
> > Thanks, Ross
> >

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:49:01 -0500

Speaking of SIMs -- where is a good place to buy a local data-enabled SIM?

>> Take Heathrow Express.   You won't be sorry.   That's a really long tube ride at 9:25 pm.

		--Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:02:53 -0800

> Speaking of SIMs -- where is a good place to buy a local data-enabled SIM?

<http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ietf89#cellphones_data>

Also see the long discussion with subject line "Mobile phone service in
London".

Stuart Cheshire