Subject: Re: [89attendees] Currency Exchange at Heathrow

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:26:07 -0800

Bob, there are ATMs in T4 outside immigration, if I read correctly.

-derek

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

----- Reply message -----
From: "Robert Moskowitz" <[email-masked]>
To: "David Misell" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [89attendees] Currency Exchange at Heathrow
Date: Wed, Feb 26, 2014 5:32 PM

On 02/26/2014 05:09 PM, David Misell wrote:
> Post office will take cash inside and american cards outside on the ATM I am told.

But is the post office inside Terminal 4?  As I will need UK coinage
once to leave the airport.

> On 26 Feb 2014, at 21:48, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>>> Corporate won't let us use our Amex cards for cash.  This has also
>>> blocked me from using it for train tickets in EU often.  So either my
>>> person MasterCard (I will not get a debit card), or cash.
>> Using a credit card for cash is always a bad deal since it's treated
>> as a high interest loan from the moment you get money from the machine
>> until you pay the bill a month later.  Dunno why you wouldn't be able
>> to use an Amex to buy train tickets, other than perhaps that some TOCs
>> don't take Amex.  I've used mine to buy tickets in France with no
>> trouble.

Locks that Verizon imposes on its Amex, I believe.  I cannot pay for my
IETF or IEEE registrations online with my Amex either.  I have to use my
personal MC.  But the time I have my wallet stolen at the Brussels train
station on my way to Aachen prior to the Maastricht IETF, Amex had my
new card the next day at my hotel.

>>
>> An ATM card really is the best option, even considering the risks.  If
>> you don't have one, the least bad way to get UK cash is probably to
>> bring US cash and change it at a bank in London.  Dunno if the Post
>> Office will do it, but if so their rates aren't terrible.
>>
>> Stay away from Travelex.  They're convenient but their rates are jaw
>> droppingly bad.

_______________________________________________
89attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:50:40 -0800

Wow, you got ripped off!  Current rate is around 1.6:1, not the 2:1 you got!  From an ATM if you pulled £100 it would have saved you almost $40!  Highway robbery.

-derek

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

----- Reply message -----
From: "Warren Kumari" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [89attendees] Currency Exchange at Heathrow
Date: Wed, Feb 26, 2014 6:45 PM

Yup. I gave the nice Travelex person $200USD and she gave me £100... :-(

W

R's,
John