Subject: [89attendees] best prepaid phone+data for area

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:10:09 -0500

I'll just be around the meeting venue for the week.  Looks like three has a 10GB plan for 15£ for my iPad, but are they something to avoid?  Looking to pick up a sim for an unlocked iPhone 4S as well to be used for a few calls and data as well.  Ideally I will get this at LHR sunday morning when I land (~6am).

Advice on or off-list appreciated.

- Jared

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:20:38 +0000

No, Three are fantastic. I use them personally but not sure how they
perform in the IETF venue but around that area they have great coverage.
Three¹s historical 3G network runs at 2100MHz though so sometimes in large
buildings the coverage can be patchy owing to the wider frequency.

An alternative that I¹d also recommend is EE.

If you want 4G though there are few (none?) pay as you go options.

Also look for BT Wifi being included with some of these options but not
all.

Neil.

On 21/02/2014 15:10, "Jared Mauch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I'll just be around the meeting venue for the week.  Looks like three has
>a 10GB plan for 15£ for my iPad, but are they something to avoid?
>Looking to pick up a sim for an unlocked iPhone 4S as well to be used for
>a few calls and data as well.  Ideally I will get this at LHR sunday
>morning when I land (~6am).
>
>_______________________________________________
>89attendees mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:17:29 +0000

'3', despite its slightly odd name, is one of the big four national
providers of 'mobile' phones in the UK.  It is not the one with the
worst reputation for customer service.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Mauch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 3:10 PM

I'll just be around the meeting venue for the week.  Looks like three
has a 10GB plan for 15£ for my iPad, but are they something to avoid?
Looking to pick up a sim for an unlocked iPhone 4S as well to be used
for a few calls and data as well.  Ideally I will get this at LHR sunday
morning when I land (~6am).

- Jared

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:29:15 -0800

Three also has the advantage that you can buy a SIM from a vending machine
in Heathrow before you even get to immigration
On Feb 21, 2014 7:10 AM, "Jared Mauch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> a 10GB plan for 15£ for my iPad, but are they something to avoid?  Looking
> to pick up a sim for an unlocked iPhone 4S as well to be used for a few
> calls and data as well.  Ideally I will get this at LHR sunday morning when
> I land (~6am).
>

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:35:15 +0000

Neil,
Coverage on 3 can be ropey outside of London be warned.
They have a coverage map if you are going elsewhere
dave

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:19:36 +0000

Dave,
I think the same is true for all the mobile operators.

I use three personally and have done for over 4 years and I travel around
the UK a lot (to some really remote places also!) and don’t see a huge
issue. My work phone is vodafone 3G and I have to say I rarely see a
situation where vodafone outperforms three.

One other major advantage of Three is if you travel to the US there are
+no+ roaming charges. I spent most of December in new york without paying
a penny extra to use the phone.

Neil.

On 21/02/2014 15:35, "David Misell" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>has
>>> a 10GB plan for 15￡ for my iPad, but are they something to avoid?
>>>for

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:50:47 +0000

Configuring a laptop over WiFi at an outdoor event last Sunday (and
seeing it trying to get an IPv6 connection and failing) made me wonder
what availability there is of IPv6 at IETF89.  Last time I asked, my ISP
had never heard of it, although they since have announced a trial.  I am
not aware of any production networks, outside the usual crew, of
academia, government etc.

Anyone know more?

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [89attendees] best prepaid phone+data for area

No, Three are fantastic. I use them personally but not sure how they
perform in the IETF venue but around that area they have great coverage.
Three¹s historical 3G network runs at 2100MHz though so sometimes in
large
buildings the coverage can be patchy owing to the wider frequency.

Neil.

has
for

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:12:28 -0200

There's been IPv6 in the IETF network since I can remember... Usually
you will find some other SSIDs other than the main conference SSID for
experiments like an IPv6-only network, etc.

Maybe other people here can actually pinpoint a date when IPv6 was first
offered.

Cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:26:25 +0000

BT has IPV6 for commercial connections for some time and we are providing it to IETF as part of our connectivity sponsorship.

(of course I've probably now jinxed it!)

Neil.

Sent with BT Mobile Messaging

-----Original Message-----
From: t.p. [[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 02:56 PM GMT Standard Time
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [89attendees] IPv6 was : best prepaid phone+data for area

Anyone know more?

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [89attendees] best prepaid phone+data for area

Neil.

has
for

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:27:09 -0500

> Maybe other people here can actually pinpoint a date when IPv6 was first

I know because we did it. That was during IETF 42 Chicago, July 1998! a while ago!

Marc.

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:57:14 +0100

> I know because we did it. That was during IETF 42 Chicago, July 1998! a while ago!

Aw, by the Toronto meeting IPv6 at the IETF will have its "Sweet 16" birthday. 

- Mark

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:58:45 -0500

I guess I thought the question was: which prepaid phone was going to have
IPv6 on the data side.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting for hire =-

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:29:05 +0000

Hi.

My ISP has had native IPv6 for quite a few years (I got an IPv6 prefix
when I joined about 10 years ago).  After much hassling (of the
manufacturers by them) they can now offer a low cost ADSL modem with
decent native IPv6 support (Technicolor).
Andrews and Arnold (www.aa.net.uk)

Not the cheapest deal on the market but their customer service must get
about 8 stars (Real techies to talk to, named person dealing with your
issue and same person on more then one occasion, genuine follow-up, even
get to talk to the CEO -aka chief techie - sometimes, will beat up
BT/Open Reach on your behalf, SMS when your line goes up/down). 

/Elwyn

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:44:11 +0000

Yes, the question was too coy but was meant to be about the availability
of IPv6 at IETF89 over any form of network, my experience being that the
UK is a long way behind most countries in making IPv6 available.  I
assumed that the IETF infrastructure would provide it, as it has done
for years, but wondered if it would have to be over an IPv4 tunnel:-(

Tom Petch

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:01:16 -0200

Although end-user IPv6 adoption in the UK is nothing but dismal, I'm
pretty sure that all major ISPs in the UK do offer IPv6 transit if you
know which doors to knock, doors which the IETF has probably identified
long ago.

Cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:21:48 -0500

> worst reputation for customer service.

So, i noticed from the LHR sim vending thread, that tethering may be "extra" or not included in the 3 sims, does anyone know if this is limited to the phone sims, or both phone+iPad?  I was planning on getting a sim for my iPad and my unlocked phone.  I'm not opposed to getting the 'right' sim, but want to make sure I don't get the wrong one...

- Jared

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:47:52 +0000

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Jared Mauch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So, i noticed from the LHR sim vending thread, that tethering may be
> "extra" or not included in the 3 sims, does anyone know if this is limited
> to the phone sims, or both phone+iPad?  I was planning on getting a sim for
> my iPad and my unlocked phone.  I'm not opposed to getting the 'right' sim,
> but want to make sure I don't get the wrong one...
>

I spent some time this morning tethered to Jim's iPhone with a voice+data 3
SIM.  I do not have any data about any other combination.

  Bill

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:56:29 +0000

On Feb 26, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Bill Fenner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I spent some time this morning tethered to Jim's iPhone with a voice+data 3 SIM.  I do not have any data about any other combination.

	And just to be clear, it's the 20£ 3 Mobile UK with 300 minutes / 3000 Texts / Unlimited Data on an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5S. Note also that by default, on an iPhone it will be 3G only. It needs a carrier update (open Settings -> General -> About and touch the "Carrier" ...  it should update from Three 15.5 to Three 15.6 ) to get LTE (4G) service.

	- Jim

---

From: Clemens Schrimpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:03:02 +0100

> So, i noticed from the LHR sim vending thread, that tethering may be "extra" or not included in the 3 sims, does anyone know if this is limited to the phone sims, or both phone+iPad?  I was planning on getting a sim for my iPad and my unlocked phone.  I’m not opposed to getting the 'right' sim, but want to make sure I don't get the wrong one...

Like Bill already said, ‘3’ allows tethering as well as the use of their LTE network - unlimited data and a bunch of domestic voice minutes and texts all included in their £15.- offer.

I just checked: Unlike some other operators they appear not to cause any disruption of „VOIP“ services (SIP, Facetime, Mumble).

Nice!

	-c

PS: I get ~14Mbps (down) with ~4Mbps (up) on their LTE net from my room (two „bars“ shown). Fair enough …

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:42:43 +0000

I bought a 3 SIM from the vending machine outside the duty-free area in LHR T4.  Had it working in my iPhone 4 before I got to Paddington Station.  Comes with universal adapters for classic, micro and nano SIMs.  Tethering seems to work through the iPhone.

Only glitch was that the vending machine wouldn't accept my corp AMEX.  I used a personal (US, non-chip) credit card successfully.

- Ralph

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:35:07 +0000

Hi,

the convenience store inside the Hilton also has a variety of pre-paid SIMs. And they of course also sell top-ups (just got one for my Three SIM).

Lars

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:45:32 +0000

I think the V6 situation in the UK is far from ideal but the big 4
providers have been fighting it out on other more profitable fronts.

Within the next 12 months I think the big 4 will all offer it.

Regards,
Neil.

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:26:55 -0500

> providers have been fighting it out on other more profitable fronts.

See e.g. the panel discussion at a recent UKNOF meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I97uRcdNxDc&list=PLjzK5ZtLlc936VGecqfuKmR12Usr_Kp57&index=9

For more on this.

Keith

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:47:39 +0000

neil,
having watched september 11th on the BT martlesham futures network, sending my placement student to watch live feeds from New York, I knew at the time that we neded v6. v4 feeds could not handle the demand. Here we are 10+ years later, but now with Multipath IP and paranoid  proxies used as taps all over the place, what went wrong!

Kind Regards,
Dave

David S. Misell MSc CISSP MBCS
+44 (0)7710 380044
misell.dave (Skype)

> On 28 Feb 2014, at 14:45, [email-masked] wrote:
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:58:56 +0000

Don't think you can compare today's ability to deliver streaming traffic with 2001.

Easy for us to be negative about history but I look back and think all of us working in our own trenches have changed the world irrevocably - i hope in a decade we can look back and have changed the world all over again.

Neil

From: David Misell
Sent: Friday, 28 February 2014 19:47
To: McRae,N,Neil,TNE R
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [89attendees] IPv6 was : best prepaid phone+data for area

neil,

Kind Regards,
Dave

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:00:08 +0000

thanks neil,

its just the Security Industrial Complex and US controls via the w3c and other mechanisms seem to have stymied development
dave

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 06:46:43 +0000

> Don't think you can compare today's ability to deliver streaming

true.  when we used multicast the conversation used to be two way.

randy

---

From: Dick Franks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 01:03:09 +0000

Neil,

Is 12 months a realistic timeframe for IPv6 on BT domestic links?  Tunnels
are such a pain when IP address changes every few weeks.

Or do I need to hasten things along by moving from BT to an ISP that will?

If you have any influence, please use it; the natives are growing restless

Dick Franks
________________________