Subject: [89attendees] Side trip to see Collosus at the National Museum of Computing?

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:44:23 +0000

The fantastic folks at TNMOC have very kindly offered to open up and 
provide a tour specially for any IETF attendees that want to see 
Collosus and the rest of their collection whilst in London.

http://www.tnmoc.org/

If anyone is interested, please tick off the days/times that you could 
make at https://www.doodle.com/7cpwbxeq84p7pkv6

I've tried to pick some sensible options, the trip takes 45-55 mins on a 
train from London Euston to the adjacent Bletchley station so the RTT is 
at least 2 hours plus the processing time we spend there. Time will be 
tight if we go for Thursday evening, but if we go for one of the other 
times then there are some good local pubs where beer & food can be had. 
If you have a better time suggestion that isn't listed, please let me 
know by email and I will add it.

If I get enough takers then I will ask TNMOC for a visit at the most 
popular time. I'm still fleshing out the details but, depending on 
numbers, there probably won't be any individual entry charge for this 
one group visit. If that is the case then all that it will cost will be 
the return rail fare (less than GBP 10 each off-peak group-save or similar).

--
	Rob.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:29:12 -0500

This sounds good! I was thinking of visiting Bletchly Park anyway.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 2/27/14 4:44 AM, Rob Pickering wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees
>

---

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:28:32 +0000

> This sounds good! I was thinking of visiting Bletchly Park anyway.

They took delivery of a Cray 1 yesterday and I got an e-mail from 
someone there that said:

"Please avoid Saturday morning given the number of engineers in and 
machines in pieces all over the floor."

I told them that this would be seen as a selling point emphasising the 
'E' in IETF.

--
	Rob.

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:31:54 +0000

> This sounds good! I was thinking of visiting Bletchly Park anyway.

Just watch out for the daggers between TNMOC and Bletchley. It’s got a bit unpleasant since the Lottery funding, sadly.

e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/bletchley_park_sacks_elderly_volunteers/

It’s all very ugly, and those involved should remember they are simply custodians who should act in the public interest.

Tim

---

From: "Alison M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:39:33 +0000 (GMT)

Night I add that TNMOC is a wonderful place but that it survives *solely* on donations. Whilst there might not be an entry charge on this occasion please donate what you can.

TNMOC has a range of computers from Colossus to the Cray 1 and is housed in what was the first purpose-built computer centre in the world. It is definitely well worth a visit*.

AlisonW

* I'm biased - I used to be a tour guide there some years ago!

---

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:57:39 +0000

Tim,

I fully understand your sentiment. This is not necessarily the place to 
air this, Google News for "Bletchley Park" over the last month or so 
will give much of the whole story.

Just to be specific it is TNMOC who have offered the visit.

It has nothing at all to do with the Bletchley Park Trust who were the 
folks that "sacked" Tony Carroll for taking visitors to see Colossus at 
TNMOC in the BBC News report. I popped in to TNMOC yesterday afternoon 
and bumped in to Tony happily stewarding the Tunny Room there.

This may however be one of the last chances to see the site as a whole 
before the fence that splits it down the middle gets completed!

--
	Rob.

On 27/02/2014 16:31, Tim Chown wrote:
>
> On 27 Feb 2014, at 14:29, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
> Just watch out for the daggers between TNMOC and Bletchley. It’s got a
> bit unpleasant since the Lottery funding, sadly.
>
> e.g.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/bletchley_park_sacks_elderly_volunteers/
>
> It’s all very ugly, and those involved should remember they are simply
> custodians who should act in the public interest.
>
> Tim
>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
--
     Rob Pickering, ipcortex, 0845 644 2805

Internet E-mail is not a secure medium. Because of the possibility
of modification in transit, no reliance should be placed on any
information contained in this e-mail unless separately confirmed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, we would be
grateful if you would inform [email-masked], and then
destroy any copies you hold.
IP Cortex Ltd is a Company registered in England and Wales No 4463272

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:58:05 -0700

I have been there and it is amazing!  I saw old Teletype (ASR and 
KSR33), DecSystems, 9 track tapes, VT100s, ... (Check out the back 
rooms!)  Oh and yeah Colossus, a working Enigma machine, and history, 
history and more history!

It was so much fun. I so wish I could go again!

There was a fear of having to shut it down due to funding, so please do 
support it!

Geoff
-- 
*Geoff Mulligan | Presidential Innovation Fellow | Executive Office of 
the President | 301.975.6283*

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:22:57 +0000

Alison,

It is subtle but the Museum of computing and Bletchley park Trust are separate organisations.

they also have a terrific linked in group “we love Bletchley park”, (formerly save BP)
Regards
dave
On 27 Feb 2014, at 16:58, Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have been there and it is amazing!  I saw old Teletype (ASR and KSR33), DecSystems, 9 track tapes, VT100s, ... (Check out the back rooms!)  Oh and yeah Colossus, a working Enigma machine, and history, history and more history!
> 
> There was a fear of having to shut it down due to funding, so please do support it!
> 
> Geoff
> -- 
> Geoff Mulligan | Presidential Innovation Fellow | Executive Office of the President | 301.975.6283
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:27:56 -0500

On 2/27/14 11:58 AM, Geoff Mulligan wrote:
> KSR33), DecSystems, 9 track tapes, VT100s, ...

You describe that stuff as if they dug it out of a cave somewhere.
That stuff is the story of my life!

(Check out the back
> history and more history!

But *that* stuff is history to me.

	Thanks,
	Paul

>>> make athttps://www.doodle.com/7cpwbxeq84p7pkv6
>>>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:32:00 -0500

I have now gotten the message. But to me the significant thing is that 
the same outing can easily cover both.

	Thanks,
	Paul