Subject: Re: [89attendees] Apple cable swap..

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:21:30 +0800

[ moved to 89attendees ]

> If anyone is organising a cable swap again I have several Apple
> 'Aus/NZ' cables and plugs I can bring.

too late.  i am in KL which has the UK plugs designed by general
sherman.  if you're really hungry, i can order on amazon.co.jp and
inveigh upon zita to carry from tokyo to london.

randy

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:38:27 +1000

Noting you're out of the loop on this one, Does anyone have a problem if I
ask the terminal room shepards to sit watchdog on an A4 swapsheet and a box
of cables?

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 23:18:43 -0800 (PST)

George,

I am sure they won't mind, but in Vancouver it was entirely
self-serve. Of course it was mostly me getting rid of surplus
cables, but I did find the one cable intended for me at the
end of the week. I can probably spare a US cable for you,
but I am already on the road, so it will have to wait until
APNIC 38 or somesuch, RIPE maybe.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
Home: +1 415-550-9427
Cell: +1 415-370-4628
Japan Docomo: +81 90 3337-9311
UK Orange: +44 7805 977889
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://organdemo.info
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:49:02 -0800

I plan on getting some North American adapters for folks that want to use
it in Toronto or Honolulu.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees
>

-- 
Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:47:25 -0800

At previous IETFs, I failed to plan ahead and didn't bring any extra 
ends.  This time, I am bringing three extra U.S. two-prong ends (the 
part that snaps into the power brick).  I am looking to swap for 
European, U.K., and/or Australian ends.

How does the swap work?  Do we pre-arrange?

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of very, very long cat.  You
pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.
Do you understand this?  And radio operates in exactly the same
way: you send signals here, they receive them there.  The only
difference is that there is no cat.            --Albert Einstein

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 06:06:11 +0800

I believe this worked last time, by a wiki table, and a box of cables held
at the terminal room. I'll ask the netops in london what they can work
with, and if that won't work we can fall back on a wiki table, and I will
act as swap point.

-G

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>wrote:

> At previous IETFs, I failed to plan ahead and didn't bring any extra ends.
>  This time, I am bringing three extra U.S. two-prong ends (the part that
> snaps into the power brick).  I am looking to swap for European, U.K.,
> and/or Australian ends.
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:09:27 -0500

While looking around for enough UK adapters  (In Canada,I can't buy them
individually, I have to also buy EuroPlug (Type C and Type L), and the Type I
(Australia)... so I now have three UK adapters for my three devices.
(Stupid tablet and new phone want more than USB 2 can provide...)

it occured to me that I wouldn't mind just having a C7 plug with the local 
country value would be good.... anyone found any on Edgeware Rd yet?
Perhaps we can expand the swap to include the C7 and C5 cords ...
(or are they C6/C8?)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:20:18 -0500

On 02/28/2014 06:09 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
> 
> it occured to me that I wouldn't mind just having a C7 plug with
> the local country value would be good.... anyone found any on
> Edgeware Rd yet? Perhaps we can expand the swap to include the C7
> and C5 cords ... (or are they C6/C8?)

Apple power plugs *are* IEC C7/C8 (though no doubt the fanbois will say
otherwise :-) I have a couple of spare regular non-white UK 13A to C7/C8
leads I'll drop off at the terminal room, maybe they will need a
distinctive box...

Also, note that most UK hotel rooms have a kettle, which comes with a
C13/C14 lead that can be handily re-purposed :-)

Keith

---

From: Dick Franks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 00:21:54 +0000

Much hassle is easily avoided by having in your travel kit:

4-way socket strip rewired on a power cord with IEC320 C13/C14 connectors
in the middle.

Plug-in mains tester, especially for countries with symmetrical plugs
and/or cavalier attitude to electrical safety.

When you land in some country (Switzerland for example) with xenophobic
plugs, you find the nearest computer shop and buy a local C13 mains lead.
Good for 10A total load.

Dick Franks
________________________