Subject: [91all] Audio Experiment at IETF 91

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 16:07:30 -1000

All,
We have received feedback on surveys, mailing lists and from individuals
complaining about their ability to hear session speakers and the time it takes
to do the lavaliere microphone handoff between speakers.

We are undertaking an experiment at this meeting to see if we can improve session 
communications.

1.  Lavalier microphones are being replaced with wireless microphones, which can be 
held or positioned on a microphone stand.

2.  Speakers are being added in the larger rooms.  If you find yourself in a room that might 
benefit from additional speakers notify [email-masked].

3.  We are making hearing listening devices available for individuals.  You have likely seen 
these at other conferences, plays, or movie theaters.  We are using these devices:  http://www.williamssound.com/resources/products/web/ppa/ppa_375_specs_en.pdf.  
These will not be used to provide translations however.

Details:

They are available free of charge and can be checked out from the Secretariat at Registration; 
please bring your photo ID as we will need to make a copy for our records. The device can be 
tuned to one of eight channels, can be clipped onto your belt and comes with an earpiece.  
Each meeting room will use a different channel, so you will simply select the proper channel 
for the session you want to listen to via the headset. Below are the channel assignments; these 
will also be displayed in each room. 

Coral 1 - channel 1
Coral 2 - channel 2
Coral 3 - channel 3
Coral 4 - channel 4
Coral 5 - channel 5
Hibiscus - channel 6
Kahila Suite - channel 7
Lehua Suite - channel 8