Subject: [93attendees] Prague still permits smoking in restaurants/pubs

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:12:47 -0700

People say that visiting Prague is like stepping back in time, and in 
at least one area this is quite literally true: Prague (And the Czech 
Republic) still permits smoking in restaurants and pubs.  It is up to 
each establishment to be either smoking, non-smoking, or mixed (with 
non-smoking sections), which tend to work as well as swimming pools 
with non-peeing sections.

The breakfast restaurant at the Hilton Prague is non-smoking, but the 
terrace restaurant is mixed.

The Wiki has some non-smoking restaurants listed: 
https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ietf93

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Our greatest fear is that the Internet will become a vehicle of free
distribution of information.  --Ken Wasch, President of the Software
                           Publishers' Association, 5 September 1995

---

From: Tore Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:53:36 +0200

* Randall Gellens

> with non-peeing sections.

Hmm. Right. I hope the social event venue is non-smoking, or at least
has separate smoking and non-smoking areas with a physical barrier
between them.

If not, I have a ticket I'd be more than willing to part with...

Tore

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:02:55 -0400

> has separate smoking and non-smoking areas with a physical barrier

I'm told that there will be a smoking area available outside the 
building where the Social is taking place (the Žofín Palace). I hope and 
expect that this should accommodate everybody comfortably.

See http://www.ietf93.cz/#socialevent for other practical details about 
the Social.

Cheers,
-Benson

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:32:17 +0000

In the same vein, we have to tip in addition to the plain bill.

Looks like CZ is not really in EU ;-)

-éric

On 13/07/15 00:12, "93attendees on behalf of Randall Gellens"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>93attendees mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/93attendees

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:51:36 +0200

> On 14 Jul 2015, at 16:32, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

No, you don’t have to tip at all. The common practice is to round the sum up, and perhaps add 10-20 CZK (per person) if you are satisfied.

It is certainly not as harsh as in North America not to give any tip.

> Looks like CZ is not really in EU ;-)

In many EU countries I have visited it works pretty much the same way. BTW, I do think it is a shame that smoking is still not banned in restaurants.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 11:37:29 +0200 (CEST)

> In the same vein, we have to tip in addition to the plain bill.

I have been told by locals that a lot of places are trying to bring in a 
"tipping culture" here. So lots of places will say "service not included", 
or even give you a hand-written note that adds 10% to the bill for a new 
total. The locals also say that historically, there wasn't much tipping in 
Prague, and some feel that the restaurants are trying to trick tourists to 
tip.

He said historically things were generally just rounded up. He also said 
there is a youtube group (?) shaming restaurants that try to trick 
tourists to tip a lot or add 10% service fee.

Also, do not use the http://www.hopon-hopoff.cz/ . It's a total ripoff, 
bad service, bad buses, read tripadvisor reviews of it (50% has given it 
the lowest score). I noticed too late unfortunately.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:34:57 -0400

I have encountered both a bill that had stamped SERVICE IS NOT INCLUDED and
a spoken question when I swiped my credit card, "did you want to add
anything? like service?" and I've only been here two days...

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> there is a youtube group (?) shaming restaurants that try to trick tourists
> to tip a lot or add 10% service fee.
>

-- 
Mike Jenkins
[email-masked] - if you want me to read it only at my desk
[email-masked] - to read everywhere else
443-634-3951

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:13:59 +0200

Speaking as a idividual, living in Prague - I do tipping about 10% if I'm satisfied with the service.

MK

> On 17. 7. 2015, at 21:34, Michael Jenkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I have encountered both a bill that had stamped SERVICE IS NOT INCLUDED and a spoken question when I swiped my credit card, "did you want to add anything? like service?" and I've only been here two days...
> 
>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I have been told by locals that a lot of places are trying to bring in a "tipping culture" here. So lots of places will say "service not included", or even give you a hand-written note that adds 10% to the bill for a new total. The locals also say that historically, there wasn't much tipping in Prague, and some feel that the restaurants are trying to trick tourists to tip.
>> 
>> He said historically things were generally just rounded up. He also said there is a youtube group (?) shaming restaurants that try to trick tourists to tip a lot or add 10% service fee.
>> 
>> Also, do not use the http://www.hopon-hopoff.cz/ . It's a total ripoff, bad service, bad buses, read tripadvisor reviews of it (50% has given it the lowest score). I noticed too late unfortunately.
>> 
>> --