Subject: [93attendees] Airport "ATMs"

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:21:31 +0200

It seems that many of the "ATMs" in the Airport are actually
multicurrency exchange machines operated by TravelEx, and don't give as
good a rate as you should be able to get from the real bank machines
that are also available post security.

The one I tried yesterday offered me CZK at around 0.0285 GBP per CZK
compared to a current bank rate of 0.0257

Ray

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 12:47:13 +0200

I used a Travelex machine before I saw the other machines. It offered an 
option withdraw USD (letting travelex do the exchange) or to directly 
withdraw CSK. I assumed (as an educated guess) that the second would be 
the better option.

On 18 Jul 2015, at 11:21, Ray Bellis wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 93attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/93attendees

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:30:11 +0200

> withdraw CSK. I assumed (as an educated guess) that the second would be

As far as I can recall, I wasn't offered the former, and the relatively
poor exchange rate I saw on-screen was based on the latter.

[that is, having recognised that my card is a GBP card, it "helpfully"
told me what the expected cost of the withdrawal would be].

Ray

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:37:34 +0200 (CEST)

> withdraw CSK. I assumed (as an educated guess) that the second would be 

That's what I did as well, and it showed up on my account in CZK, which my 
bank converted for me at a good rate.

Whenever someone in a foreign (to you) offers to convert to your local 
currency "for your convenience", just say no. They usually try to rip you 
off at 5-10% of the transaction.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 15:26:31 +0000

> bank converted for me at a good rate.

+1, and in Terminal 2 (Schengen arrivals, from most places in Europe), there
are about half a dozen real bank ATMs outside customs after exiting baggage
claim (exit near claim 4, turn right).

> off at 5-10% of the transaction.

I used a CS (Ceska Sporitelna) machine (judging by their logo, CS appears
to be the local analog of the German Sparkasse), and got a good rate of
USD 0.04024/CZK  after declining their offer to convert to USD at about
0.04375/CZK.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 93attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mikael
> Abrahamsson
> Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2015 7:38 AM
> To: Ben Campbell
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [93attendees] Airport "ATMs"
>