Subject: [93attendees] Location, Location, Location

From: Ignacio Solis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:16:28 +0200

I didn't see this mentioned on the list, but has anybody else noticed that
our IP addresses are still in Dallas?

A few apps on my phone go a little crazy when leaving the building and
suddenly teleporting.

Nacho

-- 
Nacho - Ignacio Solis - [email-masked]

---

From: Zhenghaomian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:22:12 +0000

My phone switched to Dallas time zone this morning, which confused me a lot☺

BTW, I don’t think this happens before Wednesday.

Haomian

发件人: 93attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Ignacio Solis
发送时间: 2015年7月23日 19:16
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: [93attendees] Location, Location, Location

I didn't see this mentioned on the list, but has anybody else noticed that our IP addresses are still in Dallas?

A few apps on my phone go a little crazy when leaving the building and suddenly teleporting.

Nacho

--
Nacho - Ignacio Solis - [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:27:04 +0000 (UTC)

Nacho,
    We use the same IPv4 and IPv6 address space for every meeting. Unfortunately, many geolocation tools lag in their updates and tend to point at last meeting's location (or even further back). We've attempted to address this in a number of ways including notifying geolocation and content providers and bringing up the advertisements for the net early, but with limited success. We continue to try to improve things, but as this is a largely unstandardized process, it's a bit of 'whack a mole'. 

-Jim

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Ignacio Solis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 93attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/93attendees

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:33:12 -0400

I started seeing czech google ads yesterday.

    Tony

On 7/23/15 7:16 AM, Ignacio Solis wrote:
> I didn't see this mentioned on the list, but has anybody else noticed
> that our IP addresses are still in Dallas?
>

---

From: Piotr Wydrych <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:51:50 +0200

> I started seeing czech google ads yesterday.

Google.com forwards me to google.cz and proposes switching to čeština 
since Tuesday (AFAIR). But I've turned off all those network-based 
Google geolocation stuff shortly after I got my phone and I allow it to 
locate itself only using GPS only.

Best,
Piotr 'GhosT' Wydrych
-- 
Piotr 'GhosT' Wydrych .. xmpp:wydrych//agh.edu.pl .. http://wydrych.net/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:56:45 +0200

Yes, don't worry - many tools will figure out that we're in Prague this
week in time for our next meeting in Yokohama. :)
-B

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Nacho,
>     We use the same IPv4 and IPv6 address space for every meeting.
> Unfortunately, many geolocation tools lag in their updates and tend to
> point at last meeting's location (or even further back). We've attempted to
> address this in a number of ways including notifying geolocation and
> content providers and bringing up the advertisements for the net early, but
> with limited success. We continue to try to improve things, but as this is
> a largely unstandardized process, it's a bit of 'whack a mole'.
>
> -Jim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

---

From: Ondřej Caletka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:57:40 +0200

Dne 23.7.2015 v 13:27 Jim Martin napsal(a):
> We've attempted to address this in a number of ways including notifying
> geolocation and content providers and bringing up the advertisements for
> the net early, but with limited success. We continue to try to improve
> things, but as this is a largely unstandardized process, it's a bit of
> 'whack a mole'. 

From my observation, the most important source of localisation, at least
for the Android devices, is the MAC address / BSSID of the Wi-Fi AP the
device is connected to. Other BSSIDs nearby have also some impact, but
the BSSID of the connected AP is only that powerful that it overrides
even GSM network based geolocation.

Would it be perhaps possible to regenerate new random BSSIDs for all APs
after each event? In my small scale experiment (one Wi-Fi router
operating at one place for a long time and then moved somewhere else),
this helped a lot.

Of course, the IP-address based geolocation is a different part of
story. But I think that work pretty good (I'm not allowed to use Netflix
or Hulu here, which I probably should be when in the US ;-D)

Cheers,
Ondřej Caletka

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:04:47 -0400

> A few apps on my phone go a little crazy when leaving the building and

	This seems to mostly confuse Android devices from what I hear.
I don't have trouble myself except in the rare case the IETF network
is very strong compared to the local venue or hotel network and the APs
are well registered to Google or others.

	I would consider manually setting your time zone or having it
set based on the local cellular network time if you can.

	- Jared

-- 
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from [email-masked]
clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are only mine.

---

From: Ignacio Solis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:51:06 +0200

It's not only Android. On my laptop, Google maps (and Bing maps) think I'm
in Dallas (via Chrome).

However, I'm sure there are different ways to determine this...

https://ipcim.com/en/?p=where   = Dallas
http://www.whereisip.net/ =  Switzerland
http://www.ip2location.com/ = Prague

Nacho

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:35:35 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Benson Schliesser
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes, don't worry - many tools will figure out that we're in Prague this week
> in time for our next meeting in Yokohama. :)

So, much of this was my fault...

Geolocation providers have a hard time figuring out where out address
space lives -- it randomly appears in various countries for a week or
two, then disappears for a number of months, whois mumbles about
Switzerland (ISOC, ORG-IS136-RIPE) and USA (Reston VA 20190), etc.
Basically it is an odd set of blocks...

So, we (the IETF NOC) publish the location of our address space using
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-02
(an expired draft, which I am going to revive in the next week or
two). Unfortunately I *completely* forgot to update our feed (
http://noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv ) until I was sitting on the lobby
of the Hilton, waiting to checkin. I quickly updated it then, but it
was too late for this to make a difference. Sorry all.

I have updated the file now in preparation for Yokohama and Buenos
Aires, so hopefully things will be better then...

W

>> Unfortunately, many geolocation tools lag in their updates and tend to point
>> at last meeting's location (or even further back). We've attempted to
>> address this in a number of ways including notifying geolocation and content
>> providers and bringing up the advertisements for the net early, but with
>> limited success. We continue to try to improve things, but as this is a
>> largely unstandardized process, it's a bit of 'whack a mole'.
>>
>> -Jim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf