Subject: [98attendees] Sim card

From: Diego Dujovne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:50:12 -0300

I would like to buy a sim card at the airport or close to the venue. Do you
have any preferred brands? I am aiming only for prepaid data.
Thanks!
Regards,

          Diego Dujovne

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:05:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Diego,

AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all offer prepaid SIM service that should 
cover what you need. If you can't find it at the airport, all the 
carriers have several stores downtown Chicago.

Google for:

AT&T stores Chicago

T-mobile stores Chicago

Verizon stores Chicago

Oddly, Sprint does not offer prepaid service for "bring your own 
device" and will want to sign you up for a no-contract post-paid 
service which requires a kind of credit check or identity check that 
you will fail if you don't live in the US. There is no particular 
reason to get Sprint. They, and Verizon, use CDMA technology for their 
voice bands.

Good luck!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office:  +1 415-550-9433
Cell:    +1 415-370-4628
Docomo:  090 3337-9311
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Carlos Marcelo Martinez Cagnazzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 18:16:26 -0500

I got a t-mobile sim and yes, it has IPv6 :-)

via Newton Mail 
[https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=9.4.23&pv=6.0.1&source=email_footer_2] 
On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:06pm, Ole Jacobsen < [email-masked] 
[[email-masked]] > wrote:

Hi Diego,

Google for:

AT&T stores Chicago

T-mobile stores Chicago

Verizon stores Chicago

Good luck!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher

 > have any preferred brands? I am aiming only for prepaid data.

_______________________________________________
98attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/98attendees

---

From: Diego Dujovne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:25:04 -0300

Thank you!
As always, fast and prompt response from the IETFers.
Regards,

                            Diego

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Carlos Marcelo Martinez Cagnazzo <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> <https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=9.4.23&pv=6.0.1&source=email_footer_2>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:06pm, Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Diego,
>
> Office:  +1 415-550-9433 <+1%20415-550-9433>
> Cell:    +1 415-370-4628 <+1%20415-370-4628>
> Docomo:  090 3337-9311
> Web: protocoljournal.org

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Mar 2017 01:26:04 -0000

>device" 

Not surprising, their CDMA network doesn't use SIM cards so you need a
Sprint compatible CDMA phone, and if you want prepaid, there are many
MVNOs like Virgin Mobile and Ting that are Sprint underneath.

I have a bunch of spare Tracfone SIMs.  They work on AT&T (GSM/LTE),
T-Mobile (GSM only I think) and Verizon (LTE/4G only.)  It's pure
prepaid, check www.tracfone.com for prices, refill online or buy
scratch cards at any convenience store.  Let me know if you want one
and which network and SIM size and I'll bring one when I come on
Sunday.

R's,
John

---

From: Daniel Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 08:22:29 +0400

My initial google-ing tells me that my unlocked Lenovo Android handset almost certainly won’y work with any US carriers, even the GSM and LTE ones, due to different frequency channels.

I’ll likely just take it to a store and ask to test. But if the results are what I expect, can one rent a “mi-fi” type device for the week? Something with some pre-paid data that is small enough to pop in a pocket or at least a backpack?

Regards,
Daniel

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 06:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

Daniel,

I would be surprised if your phone isn't compatible with the US bands. 
Most "modern" smartphones are, certainly the iPhones have been for at
least the last 5 years, regardless of where they were purchased.

The CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint) are a different story because
they seem to want "valid" IMEI numbers where valid means in the range
assigned to them by manufacturers for the US market. So I'd stick to
AT&T or T-mobile for local SIMs in Chicago.

As for renting MiFi devices, I am not aware that any of the carriers
offer this, but it might be something you can find at the airport 
on arrival.

Good luck!

Ole

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Daniel Shaw wrote:

> My initial google-ing tells me that my unlocked Lenovo Android 
> handset almost certainly won’y work with any US carriers, even the 
> GSM and LTE ones, due to different frequency channels.
> 
> I’ll likely just take it to a store and ask to test. But if the 
> results are what I expect, can one rent a “mi-fi” type device for 
> the week? Something with some pre-paid data that is small enough to 
> pop in a pocket or at least a backpack?
> 
> Regards,
> Daniel
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Mar 2017 21:02:40 -0000

In article <48cd7483-c00a-4f19-abe6-7cd04eb2a91b@Spark> you write:
>My initial google-ing tells me that my unlocked Lenovo Android handset almost certainly won’y work with any US carriers,
>even the GSM and LTE ones, due to different frequency channels.

What model is it?  I would be surprised if it didn't at least handle
the 3G GSM bands at 800 (somtimes called 850) and 1900 MHz.  Most also
do 1700 MHz, and enough LTE bands that you have at least one that will
work with at&t, Verizon, or T-Mo.  

The easiest test is just to turn it on with your home SIM.  It'll
probably register as a roamer on one of the US networks, then you know
which SIM to get.

>I’ll likely just take it to a store and ask to test. But if the results are what I expect, can one rent a “mi-fi” type
>device for the week? Something with some pre-paid data that is small enough to pop in a pocket or at least a backpack?

I've never seen them for rent in the US, just for sale.  Do keep in
mind that if you're staying at the conference hotel you'll have good
quality wifi pretty much everywhere.

R's,
John

---

From: Daniel Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:44:28 -0500

> probably register as a roamer on one of the US networks, then you know

That’s exactly what I did. And lo and behold, it indeed roams on AT&T (at least for sms) just fine. And says it’s and HSPA network, so I should be golden with AT&T 3G I guess.

So, folks, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet! ;)

Thanks for the replies,
Daniel

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 11:15:32 -0400

On 03/25/2017 12:22 AM, Daniel Shaw wrote:
> My initial google-ing tells me that my unlocked Lenovo Android handset
> almost certainly won’y work with any US carriers, even the GSM and LTE
> ones, due to different frequency channels.
> 
> I’ll likely just take it to a store and ask to test. 

I find https://www.frequencycheck.com/ handy for answering these kind of
questions.

Keith

---

From: David C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 13:42:33 -0400

> I find https://www.frequencycheck.com/ handy for answering these kind of

Man too bad that site wasn't around back when William Tager assaulted
Dan Rather.

---

From: Daniel Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 10:51:43 -0500

Thanks all for the encouragement that it should “just work”. It did indeed!

Also a huge thank you to the kind offer of a loaner device should it not have worked.

For the archives, the cheapest short-term option I found was to buy an AT&T sim from an MVNO/Reseller called Net10 at Best Buy. This was then activated online (relatively) easily.

It’s now happily working at 3G (HSPA) speeds. It does not connect at all for LTE or 2G, but that’s not an issue. :-)

Regards,
Daniel

---

From: Leonard Giuliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:58:13 -0700

Anyone find a black jacket left at the Swissotel bar last night?

-Lenny