Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Address Resolution for Massive numbers of hosts in the Data center (armd)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:57:15 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:03 PM
To: IETF Announcement list
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Address Resolution for Massive numbers of hosts in
the Data center (armd) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list
([email-masked]) by Tuesday, March 15, 2011.                             

Address Resolution for Massive numbers of hosts in the Data center
(armd)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group
Last updated: 2011-02-18

Chairs:
  TBD

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
  Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
  Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing lists:
  Address:      [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/armd
  Archive:      http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/armd/

Description of Working Group:

Changing workloads in datacenters are having an impact on the
performance of current datacenter network designs.  For example, the use
of virtual machines (VMs) as a means for deployment and management of
new services often results in a significant increase in the number of
hosts attached to the network.  Various requirements for the deployment
of VMs in data center networks, such as support for VM mobility, has led
to architectures in which broadcast domains are scaling up to span more
switching devices and VM servers, and to interconnect more hosts (as
represented by VMs).

In these deployment architectures, heavily used protocols that are based
on broadcast or multicast, such as ARP and ND, may contribute to poor
network performance.  The armd Working Group will investigate the impact
of changing workloads and existing protocols on datacenter network
performance.

In its work, the armd Working Group will take into consideration work
done in data center networking standardization by other SDOs, such as
the IEEE 802.1 Data Center Bridging Task Group, and will communicate and
exchange information with these organizations.

Working Group objectives:

(1) Document the current practices in data center network architectures
and the scaling characteristics of ARP and ND with respect to large
sized layer-2 domains in data centers.

(2) Provide operational recommendations intended to minimize issues
associated with these architectures and characteristics.

Area affiliation of the Working Group:

The armd Working Group is assigned to the Operations and Management
area, and will maintain close collaboration with the Internet area.
Because of its affiliation with Operations and Management, the armd
Working Group will focus on documenting current practices and scaling
characteristics, and will not do any protocol development or extension
work.

If the Working Group identifies opportunities for protocol development
or extensions, it will first develop requirements for that work.  Any
protocol development work will be conducted in the appropriate existing
Working Groups if such work groups exist. If no such working groups
exist, armd may recharter to address the work and may be moved to a
different area.

Deliverables (Informational RFCs; list to be removed prior to posting): 
o Problem statement and review of current L2/L3 architectures o Report
on ARP/ND statistics collection and behavior analysis in
  various Data Center environments
o Recommendations on data center L2/L3 architectures and
   identification of opportunities for protocol development work

Milestones (Informational RFCs to be completed for IESG review):

May 2011 - Problem statement
Nov 2011 - ARP/ND statistics collection and behavior analysis in
          various Data Center environments
          - many subnets with various sizes
          - subnets with hosts with VMs and VMs migrate over time
          - subnets with some hosts on local VMs and others on VMs in
 	     the cloud (like Amazon's ECS), 
          - Large subnet.
Nov 2011 - Survey of Existing Implementations Nov 2011 - Survey of
Security Mar 2012 - Recommendations to avoid or minimize issues caused
by
          ARP/ND
Mar 2012 - Gap Analysis