Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs DIAMETER terms

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:06:25 +0100

I think that this thread on the abfab mail list is of interest for the
AAA Doctors. 

Regards,

Dan

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:55 AM
To: ext Jim Schaad; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs DIAMETER terms

Hi Jim, 

I thought that the chairs will re-issue a call for the Diameter part and
then make a decision. 

Am I wrong? 

Ciao
Hannes

From: ext Jim Schaad [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:01 PM
To: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs DIAMETER terms

Given that to date we have very explicitly designed things to work w/
RADIUS and  have not taken on the work for Diameter, but that we all say
that it should work just fine w/ Diameter.   I think that making a
statement the first time we use RADIUS that it does not preclude the use
of Diameter and then always using RADIUS is fine.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs DIAMETER terms

Hi Jim, 

thank you for your detailed review.

In issue 12 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/12
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/12>  you wrote:

"

We have defined a IdP as containing a radius server. 

Issue #1 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/1>  is should
radius always be capitalized?

Issue #2 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/2>  At this
point - should we say that we use the term RADIUS as being either RADIUS
or DIAMETER?

"

Yes, RADIUS should be capitalized. Diameter is not capitalized. 

Regarding item #2 we have two options:

a)      We could instead of using the term RADIUS use AAA to refer to
both RADIUS and Diameter.

b)      We could, as you indicate, state that we use the term RADIUS
without any loss of generality. 

I think the question ultimately boils down to what our audience better
understands.

I don't really know but I prefer (a) since that's what I have done in
other docs.

Ciao

Hannes

_______________________________________________
abfab mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/abfab

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:11:09 +0200

Hi Dan, 

thanks for forwarding the mail. I indeed think that the ABFAB working
group should develop solutions not only for RADIUS. For that purpose, it
would probably be good to raise a +1 for Diameter when the chairs issue
a call for comments.

Ciao

Hannes

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of ext Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs DIAMETER
terms

Regards,

Dan

Hi Jim, 

Am I wrong? 

Ciao
Hannes

Hi Jim, 

"

"

Ciao

Hannes

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:10:22 +0100

I agree. 

Dan

From: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:11 AM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: [abfab] Issue 12 - AAA vs RADIUS vs
DIAMETER terms

Hi Dan, 

Ciao

Hannes

Regards,

Dan

Hi Jim, 

Am I wrong? 

Ciao
Hannes

Hi Jim, 

"

"

Ciao

Hannes