Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Re: [diameter] Re: Host-Name and Destination-NAI AV Ps

From: "Rambabu Tummala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:16:26 -0600

Let me understand what is being proposed here

1.  Destination AVP - Contains the FQDN name, which should only be used in
the last hop of Routing DIAMETER messages. (Removing the NAI format of the
AVP)
2.  Routing-Realm AVP - Contains the Realm, which should be used to route
the message, when present in the message.

My Question is can we not achieve this by keeping the Destination NAI AVP
(Basically combining the above two into one AVP)?  Most likely than not we
need these two AVPs, when Server is communicating to the Client.

Regards,

Rambabu Tummala
Nortel Networks
ESN 444-8970
External (972)684-8970

-----Original Message-----
From: David Spence [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 11:56 AM
To: Patrice Calhoun
Cc: David Frascone; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AAA-WG]: Re: [diameter] Re: Host-Name and Destination-NAI AVPs

Patrice Calhoun wrote:
> 
> > David,
> >
> > I'm not sure if you fully see what my issue is.  My issue is how do
proxies
> > "route" Diameter messages?  If you route on User-Name, then you have a
realm
> > routing table that routes on names selected from the realm name-space.
If
> > you had to route on a Destination AVP and that AVP contains an FQDN,
then
> > you would be routing on a name selected from the DNS which is a
different
> > name space.  My point is that routing (except perhaps at the last hop)
> > should always be on the basis of names selected from the same name
space.
> 
> This is *exactly* what I have in mind. NAIs are used thoughout the proxy
> chain, until the last hop where FQDN is used. Again, an FQDN is not used
> against the routing table, but agains the clients file.

Great!

> PatC

-- 
David Spence                            email: [email-masked]
Interlink Networks, Inc.                phone: (734) 821-1203
775 Technology Drive, Suite 200         fax:   (734) 821-1235
Ann Arbor, MI 48108           
U.S.A.