Subject: [AAA-WG]: Comments on draft-calhoun-diameter-mobileip-12.txt

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:19:38 +0100

Hi,

Some comments on the above mentioned draft:

section 1.2 §2.
"The request received by the AAAF is forwarded to abc.com's AAAH server."
should be to xyz.com's AAAH server.

section 2.1
"If the mobile node's home address is zero, the foreign agent MUST NOT
include a MIP-Mobile-Node-Address AVP in the AMR. In this case, the AAAF MAY
set the Foreign-Home-Agent-Available flag in the MIP-Feature-Vector AVP in
the AMR message to indicate that it is willing to assign a Home Agent in the
visited domain."

Should it be: "If the mobile node's Home Agent address is zero, the foreign
agent MUST NOT include a MIP-Home-Agent-Address AVP in the AMR. ..."

Should the Session-ID AVP be { Session-ID } or < Session-ID >, since it is
required and draft-calhoun-diameter-base-18.txt states that "When present
the Session-ID SHOULD appear immediatelly following the Diameter Header", I
believe it should be <Session-ID>

Message Format
<AA-Mobile-Node-Request>::= <Diameter Header: 260>
				    <Session-ID> or {Session-ID}               <------
				    {User-Name}
				    {Host-Name}
					.
					.
					.

Same thing applies to all messages.

Section 2.2 §3

"The AMA message MUST contain the MIP-FA-to-HA-Key, MIP-FA-to-MN-Key
   and MIP-Reg-Reply AVPs if they were received by AAAH in the HAA
   message."

Should the keys be sent via the Home Agent, according to section 5. FA-to-Ha
and Fa-to-Mn keys are only included in the AMA, thus never received in the
HAA.

Section 3.1
DIAMETER_ERROR_BAD_HAR-day	6013
What's the -day?

Section 5.2
Shouldn't the Mn-Fa-key be copied to the General MN-FA Key Reply Extension,
not the Registration Key Reply from Home Agent. If so, the reference should
be to [15] not [17]

Reference 15 draft-calhoun-mobileip-aaa-key-01.txt     should be 03.txt

/Fredrik

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
Fredrik Johansson                   W: +46 (0)8 725 5916
Interactive People Unplugged     	M: +46 (0)70 786 5035
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.ipunplugged.com

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 07:41:33 -0800 (PST)

> should be to xyz.com's AAAH server.

ok.

> agent MUST NOT include a MIP-Home-Agent-Address AVP in the AMR. ..."

Why? The mobile MAY have specified a home agent, but not a home address.

> Same thing applies to all messages.

Good point. The Session ID SHOULD be the first AVP, but it was never enforced
in the ABNF. Perhaps it is time to do so.

> and Fa-to-Mn keys are only included in the AMA, thus never received in the

The HA never receives the keys destined for the Foreign Agent. The AMA message
is the one that the HA adds on the FA keys. It *could* be possible to allow
the FA keys in the HAR, and require that the same keys be present in the HAA.
This would reduce state information on the AAAHso it could be advantageous.

Is this your reasoning?

> DIAMETER_ERROR_BAD_HAR-day	6013

An attempt at Humor... Bad Hair Day :)

> Reference 15 draft-calhoun-mobileip-aaa-key-01.txt     should be 03.txt

Yes, this is correct.

Thanks for the your comments. I will have these bugs fixed by the IETF
deadline.

PatC

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:52:58 +0100

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
>Of Patrice Calhoun
>Sent: den 8 februari 2001 16:42
>To: Fredrik Johansson
>Cc: AAA Listan
>Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: Comments on
>draft-calhoun-diameter-mobileip-12.txt
>
>
>> section 1.2 §2.

Ok, the mobile MAY have specified a home agent, but not a home address, but
then the question is if this address is in the home or visited domain. The
AAAH can not decide to assign a home agent in a foreign network if not
requested by the mobile node, so why should the AAAF bother to offer one? I
realize that if the specified home agent is in the home network, the mobile
node should have set the home address to 255.255.255.255, not zero if it
does care about the address requested. That way the AAAF will always asume
that it is willing to have a home agent in the visited domain unless it
explicitly specifies not to.

B.T.W. How does the mobile node request a home agent in the visited domain?
It's not enough to just set the home address and home agent address to zero.
If I'm not misstaken, I recall from an old (or some other) draft that is is
done by setting the home agent address to 255.255.255.255. Or am I to tired
to thing right?

Anyway, I believe that section 4.7 (MIP Feature Vector AVP) needs to be
clearer on how this is specified.

>This would reduce state information on the AAAHso it could be advantageous.

Yes, this is the way I thought it was done, and had it implemented, then I
did not see the MIP-FA-TO-HA-Key and MIP-FA-TO-MN-Key in the HAR ABNF so I
assumed that they were not sent via the HA anymore.
Of course they could go under *[ AVP ], but I believe it is clearer if the
be marked explicitly as optional in the HAR and HAA. And also a comment is
needed that if they are present in the HAR, then it's a MUST to include them
in the HAA.

/Fredrik

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:42:51 -0800 (PST)

> done by setting the home agent address to 255.255.255.255. Or am I to tired

I don't think that we stated that home agent would be set to all ones, since a
home address of all ones implicitely requests a foreign home agent. I assume
that you agree that a Home Agent and Home Address MUST be colocated, right?

> clearer on how this is specified.

ok, I will take a look.

> needed that if they are present in the HAR, then it's a MUST to include them

Correct. I believe that we should include them in the HAR. I also would prefer
to reduce state on the AAAH. I know they used to be there, and were at the
last connectathon, and somehow magically disappeared :(

PatC

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:58:34 +0100

>Sent: den 8 februari 2001 18:43
>To: Fredrik Johansson
>Cc: Patrice Calhoun; AAA Listan
>Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Comments on

I agree that the MUST be colocated. And I guess that you mean that a HOME
AGENT address of all ones implicitely requests a foreign home agent, not a
home address of all ones.

Suggested change in Section 4.7
"If the mobile node requests a home agent in the foreign network, and
   the AAAF authorizes the request, the AAAF MUST set the Home-Agent-
   In-Foreign-Network bit to one."

TO:
"If the mobile node requests a home agent in the foreign network by
   setting the home agent address to all ones, and the AAAF authorizes
   the request, the AAAF MUST set the Home-Agent-In-Foreign-Network
   bit to one."

From Section 1.3

"The Diameter Mobile IP extension allows a Home Agent to be allocated
   in a foreign network, as required in [3, 16]. When a foreign agent
   detects that the mobile node has a home agent address equal to
   0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255 in the Registration Request message, it
   MUST add a MIP-Feature-Vector AVP with the Home-Agent-Requested flag
   set to one.  If the home agent address is equal to 255.255.255.255,
   then the foreign agent also MUST set the Home-Address-Allocatable-
   Only-in-Home-Domain flag equal to one."

How can the request be for a home agent in foreign network and the
Home-Address-Allocatable-Only-in-Home-Domain be set? Then the addresses are
NOT colocated.

Are we missing a flag, Foreign-Home-Agent-Requested ?

>last connectathon, and somehow magically disappeared :(

Ok, then we agree that it should be put back in :-)

/Fredrik

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:17:34 -0800 (PST)

Just getting around to cleaning this up...

> Are we missing a flag, Foreign-Home-Agent-Requested ?

No, I just think that some text needs to be cleaned up.

I believe that ONLY the Home Address needs to be set to all ones. Having both
the Home Address AND the Home Agent Address fields be set to all ones can
cause a configuration conflict, as you state above. Therefore, if the Home
Address is set to all ones, the Foreign Agent MAY set to
Home-Address-Allocatable-Only-in-Home-Domain flag equal to one. If not set to
one, the AAAH has the option of allocating locally, or not.

This requires cleanup of text in the Feature-Vector, and in section 1.3.

Does this work?

PatC

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:14:53 +0100

Hi Pat,
Ok, works fine with me

/Fredrik

>Of Pat Calhoun
>Sent: den 26 februari 2001 17:18
>To: Fredrik Johansson