Subject: [AAA-WG]: Interesting wording: Session-Termination

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:09:28 -0500 (EST)

This isn't really all that important, but I did find it amusing that
Session-Termination-Ind "requests" that a session be terminated while
Session-Termination-Request "informs" that a session is being
terminated.

Extract from draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-00.txt:

3.6.1  Session-Termination-Ind

   The Session-Termination-Ind (STI), indicated by the Command-Code set
   to 274, MAY be sent by any Diameter entity to the access device to
   request that a particular session be terminated.

3.6.2  Session-Termination-Request

   The Session-Termination-Request (STR), indicated by the Command-Code
   set to 275, is sent by the access device to inform the Diameter
   Server that an authenticated and/or authorized session is being
   terminated.

I think I understand what is meant and how the words wind up this
way, but I can see some confusion resulting.

Stuart
-- 
Stuart A Barkley                        email: [email-masked]

[resend.  previous attempts seemed to go into a blackhole.]

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 05:36:04 -0800 (PST)

> Session-Termination-Request "informs" that a session is being

Yes, an artifact of our naming system. I am open to suggestions though. We
don't have to call the Ind Session-Termination-Ind, but something else making
clear it is a request to start the STR process.

PatC