Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: About extensions....

From: "Rambabu Tummala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:17:50 -0600

Are you suggesting "MOBILEIP" as a OctetString?  Are you suggesting to
change Extension-ID to OctectString from Integer32 ?  Why do we need add
this AVP to each Mobile-IP or other messages, can't we map range of message
id's to an extension type?

I think the Proxy servers that are attached to the NAS ( Next hop ) are the
only ones need to know, what extensions are supported (as we do in DRI
message).  All others do not need to know the extension, since all they do
is look at few attributes and route the message.

Any comments?

Rambabu Tummala
Nortel Networks
ESN 444-8970
External (972)684-8970

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 12:43 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AAA-WG]: About extensions....

All,

In order for our current discussion to work, messages will have to include
the
Extension-Id. So all Mobile IP messages would include the Extension Id set
to
MOBILEIP.

Any objections?

PatC

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:26:27 -0800 (PST)

> Are you suggesting "MOBILEIP" as a OctetString?
nope.

>  Are you suggesting to
> change Extension-ID to OctectString from Integer32 ?  
nope.

> Why do we need add

A proxy that advertises a wildcard will NOT know which downstream server to
send it to, if it doesn't know what the extension is.

> is look at few attributes and route the message.

Then you cannot support servers that only handle specific extensions (e.g. in
the home network, a server is dedicated for accounting, while another is for
authenticating Mobile IP users). DRIs are exchanged by ALL peers, and SHOULD
be used to reduce the latency involved in receiving an error and trying
another server.

PatC