Subject: [Ace] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04.txt

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:34:15 -0500

I have submitted a first version of a merged actors/problem
description draft, as discussed yesterday in the WG meeing.  Since
there are still some requirements in the latter, as well as material
that already was written up previously in the actors draft, there is
some more trimming required.  But I think the raw merged version is a
good basis to see how the merged document might look like.

Comments, preferably about the content, but also about things to
strike, are welcome -- to the list or to me.

Gruesse, Carsten

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04.txt
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:31:03 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Goeran Selander <[email-masked]>,        Dr. Carsten
Bormann <[email-masked]>, Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>,        Goran
Selander <[email-masked]>,        Stefanie Gerdes
<[email-masked]>, Stefanie Gerdes <[email-masked]>,        Carsten
Bormann <[email-masked]>, Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Stefanie Gerdes and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gerdes-ace-actors
Revision:	04
Title:		Actors in the ACE Architecture
Document date:	2015-03-25
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		30
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gerdes-ace-actors/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04
Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04

Abstract:
   Constrained nodes are small devices which are limited in terms of
   processing power, memory, non-volatile storage and transmission
   capacity.  Due to these constraints, commonly used security protocols
   are not easily applicable.  Nevertheless, an authentication and
   authorization solution is needed to ensure the security of these
   devices.

   Due to the limitations of the constrained nodes it is especially
   important to develop a light-weight security solution which is
   adjusted to the relevant security objectives of each participating
   party in this environment.  Necessary security measures must be
   identified and applied where needed.

   This document gives an overview of the necessary terminology and
   introduces the actors in an architecture as guidance for the
   development of authentication and authorization solutions for
   constrained environments.  The actors represent the relationships
   between the logical functional entities involved.

   We also present a problem description for authentication and
   authorization in constrained-node networks, i.e. networks where some
   devices have severe constraints on memory, processing, power and
   communication bandwidth.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:27:48 +0000

Hi Carsten,

Contentwise, what is missing is the hybrid problem statement in terms of
the endpoints as was agreed during the meeting:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/92/slides/slides-92-ace-5.pdf. Since this
includes a combination of the architecture of one draft and the problem
statement formulation of the other, there is not yet any text/figures
covering that, but I can make a first draft.

In terms of structure, I think a merging of two documents with overlapping
content by means of concatenation is not ideal, but we can work on that.

I send more details directly to the editing team.

Best regards,
Göran

On 2015-03-25 16:34, "Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Diff:           
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gerdes-ace-actors-04
>
>Abstract:
>_______________________________________________
>Ace mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace

---

From: Stefanie Gerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:46:11 +0100

Hi Göran,

The problem statement in the referred slideset states:
"Overall goal of ACE is to control and protect interaction between 
potenially constrained endpoints."

This is already covered in problem statement of the actors draft. The 
various possibilities how actors can be assigned to endpoints are also 
covered.

I am looking forward to the details you are going to send.

Best regards,
Steffi

-- 
Stefanie Gerdes			Tel: +49 421 218 63906
TZI Universität Bremen		E-Mail: [email-masked]
Bibliothekstr. 1, MZH 5150
28359 Bremen, Germany