Subject: [Ace] Acre

From: Stefanie Gerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 01:57:59 +0200

Hi Ludwig,

At the end of the ACE session yesterday you said that one of the models you are describing in your new authorization draft is mostly DCAF and only differs in very small details. I was wondering why you are not pointing that out in your draft. I think it will be less confusing for people.

Viele Grüße
Steffi

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:51:50 +0200

Hi Steffi,

> At the end of the ACE session yesterday you said that one of the models you are describing in your new authorization draft is mostly DCAF and only differs in very small details. I was wondering why…

I am not sure where you are heading with this question. I fear that
others might easily argue why you aren't referencing their spec either.

I believe the point raised with several drafts is the following: there
are various communication models in use today.

- Do we need all of them?

- Do we need to select a few of them?

- For a given model do we care much about the message names or details
in encoding?

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 08:46:13 +0000

Hi Hannes,

On 2015-07-24 09:51, "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> At the end of the ACE session yesterday you said that one of the models
>>you are describing in your new authorization draft is mostly DCAF and
>>only differs in very small details. I was wondering why you are not
>>pointing that out in your draft. I think it will be less confusing for
>>people.
>

This is exactly what Michael and I proposed that we should ask the WG
during the meeting. Unfortunately that question was deferred and we ran
out of time. For Push and Client-Pull/publish-subscribe there is a clear
interest from the community. How about the Pull model? We included this
considering use cases with intermittent Internet connectivity of the
client, but how common is that?

Are there yet other communication models needed to address the use cases?

Note: ACRE shows how to build different models on common RESTful
components, so supporting multiple models does not necessarily have a
major impact increase on complexity.

Regards
Göran

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:36:23 +0200

Hi Goeran,

I agree with you that thinking about the different communication models
is definitely worthwhile to do.

In order to come up with a decision it will, however, be needed to
consult the use cases again. This is what we had been doing with the
physical access control and the multicast use case.

As you have noticed, we ran out of time during the working group meeting
and this process will take a bit longer since it is necessary to
carefully think about the scenarios one cares about and whether those
are supported by a given model.

Ciao
Hannes