Subject: [Ace] New Version Notification for draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization-00.txt

From: Renzo Navas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:25:35 +0100

HI ACE ML!

We just updated a new I-D. "Lightweight Authenticated Time (LATe)
Synchronization Protocol"

The document defines a secure time synchronization protocol for
constrained environments; the protocol is first described from an
abstract point on view and later is also mapped on top of the ACE
architecture. The goal is to define the simplest yet-'secure' protocol
for time synchronization possible.

The need for a secure source of time is getting clearer on ACE (either
that, or mechanisms to assure freshness of each transaction), and we
hope that with this protocol we are giving the first step to come up
with a constrained-resource friendly solution.

The base protocol definition, I hope, can be read fast and in an easy way.
Feedback will be very appreciated!

Security is not optional nor approximate, so further work will be done
in analyzing/testing the security properties and attacks of the base
protocol.

Regards,

Renzo

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization-00.txt
To: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>, Renzo Navas
<[email-masked]>, Goeran Selander
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Renzo Navas and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization
Revision:       00
Title:          Lightweight Authenticated Time (LATe) Synchronization Protocol
Document date:  2016-10-31
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          20
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-navas-ace-secure-time-synchronization-00

Abstract:
   This documents defines the Lightweight Authenticated Time (LATe)
   Synchronization Protocol, a secure time synchronization protocol for
   constrained environments.  The messages are encoded using Concise
   Binary Object Representation (CBOR) and basic security services are
   provided by CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE).  A secure
   source of time is a base assumption for many other services,
   including security services.  LATe Synchronization protocol enables
   these time-dependent services to run in the context of a constrained
   environment.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:41:22 -0700

Hi -

On 10/31/2016 7:25 AM, Renzo Navas wrote:
...
> with a constrained-resource friendly solution.
...

Along the way to SNMPv3, we learned that a full-blown time
protocol isn't actually necessary to provide authentication,
timeliness, replay protection, etc.  See RFC 3414 for details
on how to get these properties cheaply, both from protocol
overhead and processing perspectives.

Randy

---

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 07:45:35 +0100

> overhead and processing perspectives.

Does your "etc" include expiration of access tokens?

/Ludwig

-- 
Ludwig Seitz, PhD   SICS Swedish ICT AB
Ideon Science Park, Building Beta 2
Scheelevägen 17, SE-223 70 Lund
Phone +46(0)70-349 92 51

The RISE institutes SP, Swedish ICT and Innventia are merging in order 
to create a unified institute sector and become a stronger innovation 
partner for businesses and society. At the end of the year we will 
change our name to RISE. Read more at www.ri.se/en/about-rise