Subject: [Ace] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ace-aif-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 00:45:20 -0800

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ace-aif-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ace-aif/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some blocking DISCUSS points (easy to address), some
non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for
my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Loganaden Velvindron for the shepherd's write-up even if
there is no justification for the intended status and little is written about
WG consensus beyond "no objections".

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS

I like when "internet of things" is used without its "IoT" acronym ;)

## Abstract

In "This specification provides a generic information model and format" should
this rather be "This specification provides a generic information and a data
models" ?

## Section 2

Suggestion: to avoid the reader to stop wondering at figure 1, please introduce
"Toid" and "Tperm" before the figure 1.

## Section 2.3

I took me several reading and parsing of this section to understand the need
and the specification of "dynamic-GET". May I suggest a rewrite about: the
issue that this section wants to address, be specific that this doc define
"dynamic methods" (not defined anywhere else) ? See also Rob's comment.

## Section 3

In the first paragraph, should the plural form be used for 'information model'
? As two of them are defined before.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:03:42 +0100

Hi Éric,

thank you for these comments.

I’m currently collecting updates into https://github.com/cabo/ace-aif until the ID submission opens again.

> On 2022-03-08, at 09:45, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> […]

It actually goes down one more level, from the data model level to the (representation) format.  In the interest of brevity, we mention only the top and bottom end.

> "Toid" and "Tperm" before the figure 1.

Fixed in https://github.com/cabo/ace-aif/commit/5889c92

> "dynamic methods" (not defined anywhere else) ? See also Rob's comment.

Fixes to Rob’s comment are in https://github.com/cabo/ace-aif/commit/d7748f3

The motivation is already in 2.2.
The title and first sentence says "With Dynamic Resource Creation”, so that should be enough of positioning.
I hope that the fixes to Rob’s comment make this section easier to understand.

If there are any “dynamic methods” in the text, please point me to them — the methods are still the same, but the permission bits say that they refer to applying these methods on the “dynamic resources”, not on the resource mentioned in the Toid field.

> ? As two of them are defined before.

The specializations are for the generic information model, not necessarily for the specific variant information models given.  (For instance, MQTT has their own specialization in Section 2.3 of draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile-15.txt.)

The section then goes on to discuss “our” variants.

Grüße, Carsten