Subject: [Add] Slowing the list traffic down a bit: listening more and saying less

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 10:48:01 -0400

Hi, all.

As we all know, the ADD mailing list is a very high-volume one, both
in the sense of quantity and in the sense of “loudness”.  It’s clear
that a lot of the discussion is productive and important to have.
It’s also clear that a lot of it isn’t as productive, and doesn’t
contribute to moving the conversation forward.  We’re often talking
without also listening.

I think it’s important that we slow things down a bit listen to each
other, and think more about what we’re saying — and whether what we’re
about to say adds value, or just repeats points that were already
made.  So here’s what I’m going to do:

As soon as I send this, I’m going to put the ADD list in moderation.
That means that no posts will go directly to the list.  Instead,
they’ll come to the list moderators first, and we’ll have to release
them for posting. For now, that’s me: I’m taking responsibility for
this.  (A side note: the BoF chairs, Dave and Lars, did a great job
chairing the BoF, and I thank them very much for that.  But they did
not sign up for managing/moderating the mailing list, and I’m not
asking them to.)

I will not be releasing posts in real time.  A few times a day, I’ll
have a look at the queue and browse the messages.  Those that are
aimed at moving the conversation forward will be released to the list
and posted as usual, albeit with some delay.  Those that are not may
be rejected.  For some, where it seems there’s value but in my
judgment the tone is snarky or insulting, or may otherwise raise
hackles unnecessarily, I might contact the poster and ask that person
to think about the wording and consider re-posting.

I’m hoping that this will keep an important discussion moving, and
will increase the useful content.  Note that I’m not calling anyone
inparticular out here.  I’m looking to address the overall usefulness
and professionality of the discussion on the list.  Note also that I’m
not going to be perfect in my assessment of things.  Please, if I
contact you (or, as might happen, reject your post) and you think I’m
being over-sensitive or just plain wrong… bear with me.  Understand
that I’m doing this in good faith, and try not to be upset, but to
work with me on making this discussion what it needs to be.

Also remember that I’m in the U.S. Eastern time zone (New York), and
that I do sleep.  Posts from Europe won’t be handled until
mid-afternoon your time, and those from Asia not until late evening
and the middle of the night.  Perhaps one of my AD-colleagues from
Europe will be willing to join me in moderating these posts.  For now,
it’s going to be just me, and time zones are that they are.

Thanks, everyone, for your participation… and, in advance, for your
understanding.

Barry, ART AD