Subject: # Re: [Adslmib] Suggested Corrections to Performance Parameters: [Comments onVe

From: "Michael Sneed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:06:39 -0500

This was discussed in the Atlanta meeting at some length, and no one could 
come up with a good reason NOT to use Counter64.  Basically, Bob's "murky 
personal opinion" was pretty pervasive.  The use of Counter64 has no impact 
on the (efficiency) of the bits on the wire, and the application storage 
issues are, well, appplication storage issues, and applications are under no 
constraint to use 8 bytes to store a value that will always fit in 2.

So, if anyone knows of compelling reasons NOT to use Counter64 except where 
absolutely necessary, please speak up and clarify why.

Regards,

Mike

Moti Morgenstern wrote in response to Umberto Bonollo:
>You're absolutely right regarding to use of 64 bits counters only where 
>they are really required.

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: "Umberto Bonollo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:08:43 +1100

Essentially, a mechanical translation from SMIv2 to SMIv1, which some
organisations use, will result in all Counter64 variables being dropped
from the resultant SMIv1 MIB.

Apart from this, almost very other SMIv2 construct is available in
SMIv1 form.

So to *** minimise information loss when going to SMIv1 ***
a designer should use Counter64 with reluctance as a general
comment applicable to what's out there today.
In the future, this rule might diminish in importance...

Umberto Bonollo
NEC Australia ([email-masked])

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Michael Sneed
Sent: Thursday, 21 November 2002 3:07
To: [email-masked]
Subject: # Re: [Adslmib] Suggested Corrections to Performance
Parameters: [Comments onVe

Regards,

Mike