Subject: [Adslmib] AD review of draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-tdim-mib-06.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:01:18 +0100

Hi,

Please find below the AD review of
draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-tdim-mib-06.txt.

This document is in a good shape, but a new version is needed in order
to clarify and fix some of the issues raised in the review. 

The comments below are marked T (Technical) and E (Editorial)

T1. smicng in relaxed checking reports one compilation error: 

C:\bw\smicng\work>smicng gbond-tdim.inc
E: f(gbond-tdim.mi2), (820,4) Row "gBondTdimServiceEntry" may not have
columns with MAX-ACC ESS of read-write if any column is read-create

*** 1 error and 0 warnings in parsing

T2. In section 5.4: 

   The agent SHOULD align the beginning of each interval to a fifteen
   minute boundary of a wall clock.  Likewise, the beginning of each one
   day intervals SHOULD be aligned with the start of a day.

Where does this requirement come from? If the source is another standard
I suggest to provide  it. What is the rationale? What happens if this
requirement is not / cannot be met because for example the agent does
not have access to a 'wall clock'?

T3. In the DESCRIPTION of the GBondTdimServiceIndex TC: 

       The value for each Service MUST remain
       constant at least from one re-initialization of the entity's
       network management system to the next re-initialization.

I think the term 'network management system' is not appropriate here, as
it designates in many other documents the management application. The
entity cannot know whether a NMS exists, or how many NMSs manage the
agent at a given moment, and when they re-initialize. What you mean (I
think) is the re-initialization of the management entity. 

T4. I do not understand the MAY in the DESCRIPTION clause of the
gBondTdimServiceUp and gBondTdimServiceDown notifications. 

       This notification MAY be send for the G.Bond/TDIM port, while
       the port is Up, when the gBondTdimServiceOperState object has
       left the Down state.

Respectively

       This notification MAY be send for the G.Bond/TDIM port, while
       the port is Up, when the gBondTdimServiceOperState object has
       entered the Down state.

If the notifications enable switches are up, then the notification must
be sent, so I understand. So why the MAY? 

T5. The tables in this MIB module do not respect the naming convention
recommended in Annex C of RFC 4181: 

   - The descriptor associated with a conceptual table should be of the
     form xxxZzzTable; the descriptor associated with the corresponding
     conceptual row should be of the form xxxZzzEntry; the name of the
     associated SEQUENCE type should be of the form XxxZzzEntry; and the
     descriptors associated with the subordinate columnar objects should
     be of the form xxxZzzSomeotherName.

T6. The DESCRIPTION clause of gBondTdimPortConfTable says that "Entries
in this table MUST be maintained in a persistent manner". There is not
need to specify this again in the DESCRIPTION clauses of other objects
in the same table (e.g. gBondTdimFecAdminState)

T7. In the DESCRIPTION clause of gBondTdimFecMaxInterleaverDepth (and
other objects) I found the following: 

       This object partially maps to TR-159 attribute
       aFECMaxInterleaverDepth.

What does 'partially maps' mean? 

T8. Although not mandatory it is considered good practice to include
optional UNITS clauses in objects that define performance counts.

T9. In several DESCRIPTION clauses I found: 

      This object is inhibited during Unavailable Seconds (UAS). 

Please explain what 'inhibited' means.

E1. Section 5.3: 

s/listing the active services in order of their position in the
G.Bond/listing the active services in the order of their position in the
G.Bond/

s/The actual list of services is provided via read-only
gBondTdimOperServiceTable/ The actual list of services is provided via
the read-only gBondTdimOperServiceTable/

E2. Please expand BTU-C at first occurrence. 

E3. There is no need to capitalize the MAYs in the Security
Consideration section when describing the vulnerabilities of the
objects. These are no requirements placed on the agent. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan