Subject: [Adslmib] AD review of draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-eth-mib-04.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:55:37 +0100

Hi,

Please find below the AD review of
draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-eth-mib-04.txt.
This document is in a good shape, but a new version is needed in order
to clarify and fix some of the issues raised in the review. 

The comments below are marked T (Technical) and E (Editorial)

T1. Running smicng in strict mode results in one error and one warning: 

C:\bw\smicng\work>smicng gbond-eth.inc
E: f(gbond-eth.mi2), (260,15) Default value for "gBondEthAdminCp" must
be a name and not a number
W: f(gbond-eth.mi2), (1825,20) For "gBondEthTcTypesSupported", syntax is
identical

*** 1 error and 1 warning in parsing

T2. In section 5.2: 

   The agent SHOULD align the beginning of each interval to a fifteen
   minute boundary of a wall clock.  Likewise, the beginning of each one
   day intervals SHOULD be aligned with the start of a day.

Where does this requirement come from? If the source is another standard
I suggest to provide  it. What is the rationale? What happens if this
requirement is not / cannot be met because for example the agent does
not have access to a 'wall clock'? 

T3. In the DESCRIPTION clause of gBondEthTcAdminType the following shows
up: 

       Changing gBondEthTcAdminType is a traffic disruptive
       operation and as such SHALL be done when the link is Down.
       Attempts to change this object SHALL be rejected if the link
       is Up or Initializing.  

It would be good to point specifically what object needs to be examined
in order to determine the state of the link (Down, Up or Initializing). 

Similar text appears in the DESCRIPTION clause of other MIB objects. 

T4. There is no need to specify for individual objects that 'This object
MUST be maintained in a persistent manner.' If a generic declaration was
already made for the whole table. For example for the
gBondEthTcAdminType object in the gBondEthPortConfTable. 

T5. Objects in the MIB tables do not respect the naming convention for a
common prefix of the table name and of the objects in the table. The
first such example is gBondEthPortConfTable with gBondEthTcAdminType and
gBondEthAdminCp as columns. There are more. Please check this and make
sure that the recommendations in Annex C of RFC 4181 for the naming of
objects in conceptual tables are being followed. 

T6. It would be useful to provide UNIX clauses for the counter objects.
The first example is gBondEthRxErrors, but there are more. 

T7. It would be good to explain the semantics of 'fragments' in this
document which is different from what is customary in the IP world,
maybe provide a reference for the definition of the term (from TE-159?)

T8. In the DESCRIPTION clause of gBondEthPortPerf15MinIntervalIndex I
see: 'This object partially maps to the TR-159 attribute
aGroupPerf15MinIntervalNumber'. What does 'partially maps' mean?

E1. The acronym Generic Bonded Sub-layer (GBS) is expanded much later
than the first occurrence. 

E2. At some point in time the WG will be shut down, and the reference
[ADSLMIB] will no longer be available. Acknowledging the contributions
of the WG participants is sufficient, no reference is necessary. 

E3. The following phrase which appears in the DESCRIPTION clause of
several counts object should be rephrased or at least explained at first
occurrence, as this terminology is not clear for the non-initiated: '
This object is inhibited during Unavailable Seconds (UAS)'

Dan