Subject: [alto] FWD: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-00.txt

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:06:41 +0200

Hi,

Marco and I have created a document that details the issues
about third-party ALTO server discovery, which were raised in
Stockholm.  Comments welcome.

Thanks,

   Marco and Sebastian

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-00.txt 
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: [email-masked]
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Third-party ALTO server discovery
	Author(s)       : S. Kiesel, M. Tomsu
	Filename        : draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2009-08-26

The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
provide guidance to applications, which have to select one or several
hosts from a set of candidates, that are able to provide a desired
resource.

This document describes why a third-party ALTO server discovery
mechanism is required for an important class of applications, namely
tracker-based P2P applications.  Several solution approaches are
classified and evaluated.  The conclusion is that further work is
required to standardize a protocol and procedures that follow one
specific approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Sebastian Kiesel            mailto:[email-masked]
Network Research Division   tel:+49-6221-4342-232   fax:+49-6221-4342-155
NEC Laboratories Europe     Kurfuerstenanlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
--
NEC Europe Limited          Registered in England 2832014
Registered Office           NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL

---

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:20:22 +0200

This document touches an important point in the discussion about third
party queries and information redistribution, thanks for putting it
together!

One approach that has been mentioned a few times but never really
discussed is that of the peer itself providing the tracker with the
information required to do the optimization. I guess peers could pass
such information -- for example a network map or a list of preferences
from the peer's point of view -- either in-band, in some application
protocol extensions, or out-of-band, acting as kind of (proxy?) ALTO
servers themselves. I still don't have an opinion whether such an
approach can realistically be pursued, but at least it is consistent
with the very few points that are clear about the topic, namely that
there is a need to let some entities get third-party information, that
ALTO servers may not want to _directly_ pass information to peers other
than the concerned one (to preserve that peer's privacy), and that ALTO
servers cannot reasonably expect that the information they pass to some
peer does not get redistributed to any other peer.

Enrico