Subject: [alto] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt]

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:42:06 +0200

Hi all,

We have just submitted a new version of draft ALTO Cost Schedule.
The diffs with the previous version (01) are on the use cases, stressing 
the possible uses of ALTO Costs provided for different time periods.  
ALTO cost values in schedule mode can be used as historic or predictive 
information to estimate the expected QoE and accordingly schedule 
transfers or application resources (contents, services...).

- section "2.2.  Endsystems with limited connectivity or access to 
datacenters" has been developped and includes a figure.

- a new section "2.3 SDN Controller guided access to application 
endpoints" has been added. it describes how this protocol extension can 
be exploited by an SDN Controller to influence a scheduling of 
application traffic and thus improve load balancing.

Comments and feedback are more than wellcome,
Thanks

Sabine

-------- Message original --------
Sujet : 	New Version Notification for 
draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt
Date : 	Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:09:43 +0200
De : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Pour : 	RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE) 
<[email-masked]>
Copie à : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sabine Randriamasy and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule
Revision:	 02
Title:		 ALTO Cost Schedule
Creation date:	 2012-10-19
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 17
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02
Diff:            http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   bridge the gap between network and applications by provisioning
   network related information.  This allows applications to make
   informed decisions, for example when selecting a target host from a
   set of candidates.  The ALTO problem statement [RFC5693] considers
   typical applications as file sharing, real-time communication and
   live streaming peer-to-peer networks.  Recently other use cases
   focused on Content Distribution Networks and Data Centers have
   emerged.

   The present draft proposes to extend the cost information provided by
   the ALTO protocol.  The purpose is to broaden the decision
   possibilities of applications to not only decide 'where' to connect
   to, but also 'when'.  This is useful to applications that have a
   degree of freedom on when to schedule data transfers, such as non-
   instantaneous data replication between data centers or service
   provisioning to end systems with irregular connectivity.  The draft
   therefore specifies a new cost mode, called the "schedule" mode.  In
   this mode the ALTO server offers cost maps that contain path ratings
   that are valid for a given timeframe (e.g. hourly) for a period of
   time (e.g. a day).  Besides the functional time-shift enhancement
   providing multi-timeframe cost values, the ALTO Cost Schedule also
   allows to save a number of ALTO transactions and thus resources on
   the ALTO server and clients.  Last, guidance to schedule application
   traffic can also efficiently help for load balancing and resources
   efficiency.

The IETF Secretariat

--