Subject: [alto] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07.txt]

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:14:49 +0200

Hi all,

We have just submitted a new version of draft Multi-Cost ALTO.
Main diffs with the previous version (06): 

- there is no more incentive to require multiple costs in the 
'numerical' mode (when applicable). The reason is that a multi-cost 
request can be done for any purpose, such as updates on one cost type in 
'ordinal' combined with 'numerical'information on another cost type. The 
purpose does not restrict to multi variate optimization.

- a new feature on constraints is introduced in section "4.6.  Extended 
constraints on multi-cost values". It extends the base protocol in two 
ways:

(1) combining constraints on multiple metrics related with a logical 
'AND', to cover requirements such as:
            "select solutions with moderate routingcost" AND "low hopcount",

(2) combining constraints on multiple metrics related with both a 
logical 'AND' and a logical 'OR'.
This allows to cover constraints such as: 
            "'hopcount' values in [6,20) OR 'routingcost' values in 
[100,200]"
It also allows an application to make comprimises such as:
             "select solutions with either moderate 'hopcount' and high 
'routingcost' OR higher 'hopcount' and moderate 'routingcost'".  

A specification for 'constraint' members of input parameters extended 
for multiple cost types and logical operators is provided in section 5.

Comments and feedback on this new draft are more than wellcome,
Thanks

Sabine

-------- Message original --------
Sujet : 	New Version Notification for 
draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07.txt
Date : 	Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:07:32 +0200
De : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Pour : 	RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE) 
<[email-masked]>
Copie à : 	Roome, W D <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sabine Randriamasy and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost
Revision:	 07
Title:		 Multi-Cost ALTO
Creation date:	 2012-10-19
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 37
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07
Diff:            http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-07

Abstract:
   IETF is designing a new service called ALTO (Application Layer
   traffic Optimization) that includes a "Network Map Service", an
   "Endpoint Cost Service" and an "Endpoint (EP) Ranking Service" and
   thus incentives for application clients to connect to ISP preferred
   Endpoints.  These services provide a view of the Network Provider
   (NP) topology to overlay clients.

   The present draft proposes a light way to extend the information
   provided by the current ALTO protocol in two ways.  First, including
   information on multiple Cost Types in a single ALTO transaction
   provides a better mapping of the Selected Endpoints to needs of the
   growing diversity of Content and Resources Networking Applications
   and to the network conditions.  Second, one ALTO query and response
   exchange on N Cost Types is faster and lighter than N single cost
   transactions.  All this also helps producing a faster and more robust
   choice when multiple Endpoints need to be selected.

The IETF Secretariat