Subject: [alto] Proto writeup for ALTO deployment draft

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:20:02 -0500

All: I am the shepherd for the ALTO deployment draft.  The draft
is close to being done and the working group is awaiting the release
of version -14.

In preparation of moving the draft ahead when version -14 becomes
available, I have filled in the proto-writeup as indicated below.
Let me know of any issues and concerns with the writeup.

Thanks.

1. Summary.

Vijay K. Gurbani is the document shepherd for draft-alto-deployments draft.
Spencer Dawkins was the responsible AD throughout the last few versions 
of the
draft, however, that benefit transferred to Mirja Kuhlewind around IETF 95
(Buenos Aires).

The document itself has a long and varied history, having started life 
off as
a -00 document targeted to the ALTO WG as an individual (original authors:
Martin Stiemerling and Sebsatian Kiesel, March 1, 2010).  It 
transitioned to a
WG document in February 2011 with the original two authors and continued on
revision trajectory until version -04 when new authors were added.

The document distills and prescribes recommendations for network
administrators and application designers planning to deploy ALTO, including
recommendations on how to generate the ALTO map information and known
limitations of the ALTO protocol (rfc7285).  Furthermore, the document
provides guidance for the use of ALTO in diverse environments, including P2P
traffic optimization, CDN considerations, application guidance in VPNs, to
name a few examples.

The working group is targeting this document as an Informational, which 
is the
appropriate track the document should be on based on the nature of its
prescriptions and recommendations.  The document does not introduce any new
protocol elements, nor does it subvert --- positively or negatively --- the
usage of the protocol in any given particular environment (i.e., CDNs, VPNs,
or P2P environments).

2. Review and Consensus.

The draft has consensus from the WG and has been well-reviewed.  There have
been two WGLCs for this draft: Version -11 of the draft was last-called
between the time period of April 28, 2015 to May 17, 2015.  During this
period, the draft was reviewed in detail by Wendy Roome.  Wendy found 
several
minor issues and nits and a couple of major issues, all of which were
readily addressed in version -12 (June 2015).

Pursuant to an ALTO virtual meeting held on October 27, 2015, it became
apparent that draft-siedel-alto-map-calculation could inform
draft-ietf-alto-deployments.  The authors of the two drafts were 
requested to
make a determination whether portions of the former could be included in the
latter.  By November 2015, a determination was made that relevant portions
from the map-calculation draft could be put into the 
deployment-considerations
draft.  The issue at hand after this was done was whether the changes
percolated widely enough to have a second WGLC.  By Jan 2016, it was decided
that a second WGLC was likely, and thus a second one was issued that ended
on February 3, 2016.  The second WGLC was reviewed by Sabine Randriamasy,
resulting in version -14 that addressed her review.

In summary, the deployment draft has had excellent support from the working
group, has been reviewed on multiple occasions by various members of the
working group and has been last-called twice to account for the expanded 
role
it took on as the working group became aware of the growing deployment 
of the
ALTO protocol.

3. Intellectual Property.

The shepherd confirms that each author has stated to him (and ALTO 
co-chairs)
their direct, personal knowledge that the authors are not aware of any IPR
related to this document.

To the best of the shepherd's knoweldge, there has not been any 
discussions on
IPR related to this document on the ALTO WG mailing list.

4. Other Points.
<To be enumerated when -14 becomes available.>

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Nokia Networks
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq

---

From: "Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 20:03:12 +0000

Hi Vijay,

The current writeup is perfectly fine with me.
Thanks, 
Sabine

>>-----Message d'origine-----
>>De : alto [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de EXT Vijay K.
>>Gurbani
>>Envoyé : mercredi 6 avril 2016 20:20
>>À : IETF ALTO
>>Objet : [alto] Proto writeup for ALTO deployment draft
>>
>>All: I am the shepherd for the ALTO deployment draft.  The draft is
>>close to being done and the working group is awaiting the release of
>>version -14.
>>
>>of the draft, however, that benefit transferred to Mirja Kuhlewind
>>around IETF 95 (Buenos Aires).
>>
>>off as a -00 document targeted to the ALTO WG as an individual
>>(original authors:
>>transitioned to a WG document in February 2011 with the original two
>>authors and continued on revision trajectory until version -04 when new
>>authors were added.
>>
>>administrators and application designers planning to deploy ALTO,
>>including recommendations on how to generate the ALTO map information
>>and known limitations of the ALTO protocol (rfc7285).  Furthermore, the
>>document provides guidance for the use of ALTO in diverse environments,
>>including P2P traffic optimization, CDN considerations, application
>>guidance in VPNs, to name a few examples.
>>
>>is the appropriate track the document should be on based on the nature
>>of its prescriptions and recommendations.  The document does not
>>introduce any new protocol elements, nor does it subvert --- positively
>>or negatively --- the usage of the protocol in any given particular
>>environment (i.e., CDNs, VPNs, or P2P environments).
>>
>>2. Review and Consensus.
>>
>>The draft has consensus from the WG and has been well-reviewed.  There
>>have been two WGLCs for this draft: Version -11 of the draft was last-
>>called between the time period of April 28, 2015 to May 17, 2015.
>>During this period, the draft was reviewed in detail by Wendy Roome.
>>Wendy found several minor issues and nits and a couple of major issues,
>>all of which were readily addressed in version -12 (June 2015).
>>
>>apparent that draft-siedel-alto-map-calculation could inform draft-
>>ietf-alto-deployments.  The authors of the two drafts were requested to
>>make a determination whether portions of the former could be included
>>in the latter.  By November 2015, a determination was made that
>>relevant portions from the map-calculation draft could be put into the
>>deployment-considerations draft.  The issue at hand after this was done
>>was whether the changes percolated widely enough to have a second WGLC.
>>By Jan 2016, it was decided that a second WGLC was likely, and thus a
>>second one was issued that ended on February 3, 2016.  The second WGLC
>>was reviewed by Sabine Randriamasy, resulting in version -14 that
>>addressed her review.
>>
>>In summary, the deployment draft has had excellent support from the
>>working group, has been reviewed on multiple occasions by various
>>members of the working group and has been last-called twice to account
>>for the expanded role it took on as the working group became aware of
>>the growing deployment of the ALTO protocol.
>>
>>their direct, personal knowledge that the authors are not aware of any
>>IPR related to this document.
>>
>>discussions on IPR related to this document on the ALTO WG mailing
>>list.
>>
>>4. Other Points.
>>Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Nokia Networks 1960 Lucent Lane,
>>Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
>>_______________________________________________
>>alto mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: "Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:19:57 +0000

Vijay,

You could perhaps note that relevant parts of the document are backed by implementations and/or experiments.

For instance, for section 3.2 (and Section 6.1) an implementation has been reported to the WG: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg02202.html (the link now seems to be http://www.ewsdn.eu/files/Presentations/EWSDN%202013/2_3_Dynamic_VPN_optimization.pdf)

More details can be found in:

Michael Scharf, Vijay K. Gurbani, Thomas Voith, Manuel Stein, William D. Roome, Greg Soprovich, Volker Hilt:
Dynamic VPN Optimization by ALTO Guidance. EWSDN 2013
 
Two follow-up publication basically also supports the insights of Section 3.6 can be found in:

Michael Scharf, Thomas Voith, Manuel Stein, Volker Hilt: ATLAS: Accurate Topology Level-of-Detail Abstraction System. NOMS 2014

Michael Scharf, Gordon T. Wilfong, Lisa Zhang: Sparsifying network topologies for application guidance. IM 2015

draft-ietf-alto-deployments itself also references other experiments.

We have only included IETF documents as references in draft-ietf-alto-deployments. But the write-up may be an opportunity to record that the content is backed by running code.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: alto [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of EXT Vijay K. Gurbani
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 8:20 PM
To: IETF ALTO
Subject: [alto] Proto writeup for ALTO deployment draft

All: I am the shepherd for the ALTO deployment draft.  The draft is close to being done and the working group is awaiting the release of version -14.

In preparation of moving the draft ahead when version -14 becomes available, I have filled in the proto-writeup as indicated below.
Let me know of any issues and concerns with the writeup.

Thanks.

1. Summary.

Vijay K. Gurbani is the document shepherd for draft-alto-deployments draft.
Spencer Dawkins was the responsible AD throughout the last few versions of the draft, however, that benefit transferred to Mirja Kuhlewind around IETF 95 (Buenos Aires).

The document itself has a long and varied history, having started life off as a -00 document targeted to the ALTO WG as an individual (original authors:
Martin Stiemerling and Sebsatian Kiesel, March 1, 2010).  It transitioned to a WG document in February 2011 with the original two authors and continued on revision trajectory until version -04 when new authors were added.

The document distills and prescribes recommendations for network administrators and application designers planning to deploy ALTO, including recommendations on how to generate the ALTO map information and known limitations of the ALTO protocol (rfc7285).  Furthermore, the document provides guidance for the use of ALTO in diverse environments, including P2P traffic optimization, CDN considerations, application guidance in VPNs, to name a few examples.

The working group is targeting this document as an Informational, which is the appropriate track the document should be on based on the nature of its prescriptions and recommendations.  The document does not introduce any new protocol elements, nor does it subvert --- positively or negatively --- the usage of the protocol in any given particular environment (i.e., CDNs, VPNs, or P2P environments).

2. Review and Consensus.

The draft has consensus from the WG and has been well-reviewed.  There have been two WGLCs for this draft: Version -11 of the draft was last-called between the time period of April 28, 2015 to May 17, 2015.  During this period, the draft was reviewed in detail by Wendy Roome.  Wendy found several minor issues and nits and a couple of major issues, all of which were readily addressed in version -12 (June 2015).

Pursuant to an ALTO virtual meeting held on October 27, 2015, it became apparent that draft-siedel-alto-map-calculation could inform draft-ietf-alto-deployments.  The authors of the two drafts were requested to make a determination whether portions of the former could be included in the latter.  By November 2015, a determination was made that relevant portions from the map-calculation draft could be put into the deployment-considerations draft.  The issue at hand after this was done was whether the changes percolated widely enough to have a second WGLC.  By Jan 2016, it was decided that a second WGLC was likely, and thus a second one was issued that ended on February 3, 2016.  The second WGLC was reviewed by Sabine Randriamasy, resulting in version -14 that addressed her review.

In summary, the deployment draft has had excellent support from the working group, has been reviewed on multiple occasions by various members of the working group and has been last-called twice to account for the expanded role it took on as the working group became aware of the growing deployment of the ALTO protocol.

The shepherd confirms that each author has stated to him (and ALTO
co-chairs)
their direct, personal knowledge that the authors are not aware of any IPR related to this document.

To the best of the shepherd's knoweldge, there has not been any discussions on IPR related to this document on the ALTO WG mailing list.

4. Other Points.

Thanks,

- vijay

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 10:24:39 -0500

On 04/07/2016 04:19 AM, Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE) wrote:
> For instance, for section 3.2 (and Section 6.1) an implementation has
> been reported to the
> WG:https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg02202.html
> (the link now seems to
> behttp://www.ewsdn.eu/files/Presentations/EWSDN%202013/2_3_Dynamic_VPN_optimization.pdf)
>
>  More details can be found in: [...]

Michael: Reports of implementation and experiments are absolutely
crucial in the proto-writeup of a document that standardizes a
protocol (a la rfc7285, the ALTO protocol RFC).  In our case here, we
are not standardizing ALTO as much as we are documenting the state
of acceptance, use, and deployment of ALTO in current networks.

All that said, documents --- even Informational-track ones --- do not
exist in a vacuum, and you have rightly pointed out relevant
publications do exist.  As such, I do agree with you and will put
in the references you suggested in the final proto-writeup.

Thanks for collecting the references.

Cheers,

- vijay