Subject: [alto] Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-multi-cost-07.txt> (Multi-Cost ALTO) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:57:32 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document:
- 'Multi-Cost ALTO'
  <draft-ietf-alto-multi-cost-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-03-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The ALTO (Application Layer-Traffic Optimization) Protocol
   ([RFC7285]) defines several services that return various metrics
   describing the costs between network endpoints.  An ALTO Server may
   offer a variety of cost metrics, based on latency,bandwidth, hop
   count, jitter, or whatever else the ALTO Server deems useful.  For
   example, when downloading a file that is mirrored on several sites, a
   user application may consider more than one metric, perhaps trading
   bandwidth for latency to determine the most efficient mirror site.

   While the base ALTO Protocol allows an ALTO Client to use more than
   one cost metric, to do so, the Client must request each metric
   separately.  This document defines a new service that allows a Client
   to retrieve several cost metrics with one request, which is
   considerably more efficient.  In addition, this document extends the
   ALTO constraint tests to allow a user to specify an arbitrary logical
   combination of tests on several cost metrics.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-multi-cost/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-multi-cost/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1628/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2615/