Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:46:37 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-06.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2018-11-28

Abstract:
   Cost Metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO).  It is used in both the Cost Map Service and the
   Endpoint Cost Service.

   Different applications may benefit from different Cost Metrics.  For
   example, a Resource Consumer may prefer Resource Providers that offer
   a low delay delivery to the Resource Consumer.  However, the base
   ALTO protocol has documented only one single cost metric, i.e., the
   generic "routingcost" metric (Sec. 14.2 of ALTO base specification
   [RFC7285]).

   This document proposes a set of Cost Metrics, derived and aggregated
   from routing protocols with different granularity and scope, such as
   BGP-LS, OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE, or from end-to-end traffic management
   tools.  It currently documents Network Performance Cost Metrics
   reporting on network delay, jitter, packet loss, hop count, and
   bandwidth.  These metrics may be exposed by an ALTO Server to allow
   applications to determine "where" to connect based on network
   performance criteria.  Additional Cost Metrics involving ISP specific
   considerations or other network technologies may be documented in
   further versions of this draft.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/