Subject: [ANCP] Address family for white/grey/black lists

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:06:30 -0400

One of the issues that came up when defining provisioning messages for the 
white/grey/black lists was whether IPv4 and IPv6 would both be present in the 
same profile. I believe, if they are both present, that this implies that the 
user device or home gateway is dual stack. I'm sure someone will correct me if 
this is an invalid assumption.

In any event, the current design of the multicast service provisioning message 
allows mixed address families in the same list, but assumes that in the case of 
source-specific multicast the source address is of the same family as the 
multicast group.

If all addresses in the same profile can be assumed to belong to the same 
family, we could save an octet per list entry and just have one common value as 
a sub-attribute.

On the other hand, if the source and group addresses can belong to different 
address families in the SSM case, the current structure has to change.

Comments on the true requirements are invited.

Tom Taylor
_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp