Subject: [ANCP] draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-11 submitted

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:23:26 -0400

A new version of the base protocol document has been submitted. Here are the 
changes from Version -10 to Version -11.

The following technical changes were made:

-- New section 4.3, Encoding of Text Fields, was added. This introduces UTF-8 
encoding for text fields, but that has very little practical effect because two 
of the three fields I can think of at the moment are constrained to ASCII anyway.

-- Section 4.4 (new number), "Treatment of Reserved and Unused Fields", was 
moved up so it also applies to adjacency protocol messages. It was previously 
Section 4.4.2.1, "Additional Conventions and General Requirements". Note that 
this and the previous change shifted old Sections 4.3 and 4.4 down to become 4.5 
and 4.6.</t>

-- The adjacency message format (Figure 3) was modified to replace Tech Type
with a Reserved field. A historical note was added to record this change.

-- In Section 4.5, added a statement that capabilities for any mixture of
technologies can be offered in the same message.

-- Added clarifying details and a figure for the
Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary TLV.</t>

-- The value of the OAM-Loopback-Test-Response-String TLV was changed from
"ASCII string" to "UTF-8 encoded string of text".</t>

-- In the IANA section, changed Tech Type 0 from "Extension block not in use" to
"Any technology". Also added a note about possible future X-Function sub-
registries for particular Function values.

-- In the IANA section, added columns for Technology and Capability Data to the
Capability registry. As a result, a similar change to the capability 
registrations will be required in the multicast document.

In addition, there were editorial changes scattered throughout the
document. The largest ones were a rewrite of the descriptions for the
Access-Loop-Circuit-ID and Access-Loop-Remote-Id TLVs to align them more closely
to TR-101.

Tom Taylor