Subject: [ANCP] Access-Loop-Circuit-ID: text or sequence of octets

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:11:41 -0400

I engaged in private correspondence regarding Access-Loop-Circuit-ID. What came 
out of it was my correspondent's conviction that it has to be possible to treat 
Access-Loop-Circuit-ID as a text field. When I suggested this was telling the 
operator that the operator had to use text-based circuit identifiers, the 
response was that the protocol had to support current practice (by which I 
understood implementation practice).

I get hints that implementors are ascribing semantics to Access-Loop-Circuit-ID 
values, i.e., attempting to parse them. If that is true, the requirement is for 
a structured identifier that identifies the relevant entities explicitly. If it 
is not true, then possibly the requirement to know whether the 
Access-Loop-Circuit-ID is text or binary would be satisfied by the following:

1) Specify that Access-Loop-Circuit-ID is text.

2) Define an additional TLV, Access-Loop-Circuit-ID-Binary, which is optional to 
implement.

3) Make Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary also optional to implement.

4) Specify that implementations supporting Access-Loop-Circuit-ID-Binary and 
Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary MUST also provide a configurable parameter 
by means of which the operator can indicate whether text or binary identifiers 
have been configured.

Opinions?

Tom Taylor

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:55:09 +0200

Tom, all,

In practice we use characters (text based). This is also in line with DHCP relay or PPP intermediate agent recommendet by TR-101 and TR-147 of BBF which is also referred in R-49 and R-50 of ANCP Framework RFC5851. Therefore option 1 is in line what framework of ANCP is referring to. >From my point of view option 2-4 is not in line with ancp framework and referred BBF work.

Regards
Thomas

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Tom Taylor
Gesendet: Montag, 16. August 2010 03:12
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [ANCP] Access-Loop-Circuit-ID: text or sequence of octets

Opinions?

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp