Subject: [Anima] privacy in discovery

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 14:08:51 -0500

I haven't read the document yet, just the abstract.

I am not suggesting it, just relaying that this privacy issue seems to be
something others have recognized as a concern.

Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:57:20 -0800
List-Id: "Discussion of extensions to DNS-based service discovery for routed networks." <dnssd.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  of the IETF.

        Title           : Privacy Extensions for DNS-SD
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Daniel Kaiser
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2017-03-10

Abstract:
   DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery) normally discloses information about
   both the devices offering services and the devices requesting
   services.  This information includes host names, network parameters,
   and possibly a further description of the corresponding service
   instance.  Especially when mobile devices engage in DNS Service
   Discovery over Multicast DNS at a public hotspot, a serious privacy
   problem arises.

   We propose to solve this problem by a two-stage approach.  In the
   first stage, hosts discover Private Discovery Service Instances via
   DNS-SD using special formats to protect their privacy.  These service
   instances correspond to Private Discovery Servers running on peers.
   In the second stage, hosts directly query these Private Discovery
   Servers via DNS-SD over TLS.  A pairwise shared secret necessary to
   establish these connections is only known to hosts authorized by a
   pairing system.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
dnssd mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnssd

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 08:20:47 +1300

> something others have recognized as a concern.

Do you see it as a concern inside the ACP? I would have thought not.

We have intentionally punted on ASA authorization for now, but it seems to
me that an authorization system for ASAs (is ASA X allowed to access 
objective Y?) would cover the issue.

The GRASP spec has a few words starting:
"Generally speaking, no personal information is expected to be
involved in the signaling protocol, so there should be no direct
impact on personal privacy..."

   Brian

> Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01.txt
...

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 14:35:35 -0500

The question that occurs to me is whether the pre-ACP discovery phase 
needs privacy protection.

The answer is not obvious, since the scope is limited (where DNS queries 
can go arbitrary distances across the net.)

Yours,
Joel

On 3/11/17 2:20 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
>