Subject: [Anima] autonomic framework

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:10:41 -0400

Michael, some comments driven by the slides:

We changed the name from Join Assistant to Join Proxy, as a consistent
name across netconf,anima and 6tisch.

(Peter wants us to change it to Join Router, because it forwards
packets... but...)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 10:43:49 +1300

So, are you going to stop changing the names now? Because each
time you change them, I have to update draft-carpenter-anima-ani-objectives
but more seriously my demo code too...

Join Router is wrong. It forwards messages not packets. Maybe its next
name should be Join Middlebox, but I'm happy with Join Proxy.

Regards
   Brian

On 28/03/2017 10:10, Michael Richardson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:21:00 -0400

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > So, are you going to stop changing the names now? Because each time you
    > change them, I have to update draft-carpenter-anima-ani-objectives but
    > more seriously my demo code too...

"me"?
I didn't know I was authoritative for WG consensus :-)

    > name should be Join Middlebox, but I'm happy with Join Proxy.

I agree.

I'm thinking we should get a set of T-shirts.

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:22:37 -0500

> name should be Join Middlebox, but I'm happy with Join Proxy.
Yes it forwards the message, and IP-in-IP routes the packets.
I prefer router because it makes it clear that the end to end transport 
is unbroken from pledge to registrar.
The term proxy seems to provoke misunderstandings on that aspect.

Peter

---

From: "Michael H. Behringer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 08:52:29 +0200

Join proxy is ok with me.

I find the "Join Registrar" a bit weird, to me "Registrar" itself
is pretty clear in its purpose. But, never mind, main thing is we
use the same terms everywhere.

I don´t really like the term "router" for the proxy. To me a
"router" takes everything that comes in on one side, and sends it
out the other. Here we´re talking a single protocol, thus very
selective. "Proxy" describes that better than "router".

Michael

On 27/03/2017 23:10, Michael Richardson wrote: