Subject: [Anima] New version of draft-ietf-anima-reference-model

From: "Michael H. Behringer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 18:03:15 +0100

ANIMA WG,

I just uploaded a new version of the reference model, 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-reference-model-03.

Below the change log; I believe to have addressed all open issues.

Feedback please!
Michael on behalf of the co-authors.

--

* Added the state machine, as discussed in the last IETF.

* Re-ordered things a bit: Now the state machine, as well as the 
description of the adjacency table (old section 5) are part of section 
3, which has become more important, but I think we now have all elements 
concerning an autonomic node in one section, which looks a lot better to 
me. Also, I dropped the old section 5 "Behavior of an autonomic node", 
that never really fit well. So now it looks like this:
    3.  The Autonomic Network Element . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
      3.1.  Architecture  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
      3.2.  The Adjacency Table . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
      3.3.  State Machine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   8
        3.3.1.  State 1: Factory Default  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   8
        3.3.2.  State 2: Enrolled . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   8
        3.3.3.  State 3: In ACP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9

* Intent distribution: The previous version of the draft only referred 
to intent to be distributed; following our discussions the distribution 
protocol may also transport other "information" (which is the term I use 
now in the draft), which I have now brought out more explicitly in some 
places.

* There was some discussion on whether we should be more explicit in how 
information (e.g., Intent) is flooded. I think we settled on GRASP 
synchronising which node has which version of "information", and where 
to find it (URI). Then another protocol pulls that information block if 
needed.
However, looking at the reference draft right now, I think we should NOT 
enter this level of detail here; this should be dealt with in 
draft-liu-anima-grasp-distribution. I think we're better off if the 
reference draft stays on a high level here. In any case, it's formally 
out of scope in ANIMA right now.

* Dealing with out-of-scope topics: I think we agreed that we must 
include some topics in the draft that are formally out of scope, to 
provide the context for certain decisions. So far I think we universally 
agree. We went back-and-forth a few times whether to mark topics with 
(*) inline, or whether to group them in an appendix. Neither way is 
perfect. My personal preference is to leave them inline, in the sections 
they belong to, because if we group them in an appendix we lose context. 
I think all such topics are clearly marked with a (*) and in each such 
section I wrote explicitly "outside scope for now". I also re-ordered 
some sections such that the (*) topics are always last in each section 
(e.g., I re-ordered 4.6 and 4.7). If anyone has a problem with that, 
please shout!

* Made some changes to (old) section 5, "Behaviour of an autonomic node":
** changed the sequence: First, node joins ACP, THEN it starts bootstrap 
proxy
** added Registrar discovery as a separate step.
** explained that bootstrap proxy is an ASA (as discussed in the ASA 
section)
** condition for the latter is 1) part of ACP, and 2) having discovered 
at least one Registrar.

* some editorial changes; changed a "MAY" to a "may".

* Changed "The Proxy ASA" to "The Join Assistant ASA", and "The 
Registrar" is now "The Join Registrar".