Subject: [Anima] CASM BOF

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 16:08:15 -0400

https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/

writes about:
       Coordinated Address Space Management (CASM) - Approved for IETF 98

       Description: Organizations use IP Address Space Management (IPAM)
       tools to manage their IP address space, often with proprietary
       database and interfaces. This work intends to evolve IPAM into
       standardized interfaces for coordinated management of IP addresses,
       including SDN/NFV networks and other forms of virtualization. Use
       cases include dynamic allocation and release of IP addresses and
       prefixes based on usage (reallocation in case of no more in use)
       and/or user intent (for specific services). The purpose of the BoF is
       to gather a common set of requirements from a larger set of operators
       and, if needed, possible protocol work milestones and scope.

It seems that there should be coordination with ANIMA...
consider showing up to this BOF!!!

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:50:20 +1300

I've been tracking this a bit. Their main focus is on a YANG
interface between the NOC and the IPAM system. It's thanks to
me that the C stands for Coordinated instead of Centralized.

I believe that our prefix management use case is part of
the back end for this rather than competition, but we should
definitely track the work.

Regards
   Brian

On 21/03/2017 09:08, Michael Richardson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:01:33 +1300

Specifically, if you look at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sun-i2apm-address-pool-management-yang-02
you will see data that could be used to trigger an ASA for the
PrefixManager and PrefixManager.Params objectives defined in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-02

I've written some "toy" code for those objectives, by the way.
It doesn't do anything real but it can negotiate prefixes with
another copy of itself. I'm hoping to make it better during the
hackathon. The first cut is at
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/graspy/pfxm1.py

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:12:27 -0400

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    k> I've been tracking this a bit. Their main focus is on a YANG interface
    k> between the NOC and the IPAM system. It's thanks to me that the C
    k> stands for Coordinated instead of Centralized.

Cool.

    k> I believe that our prefix management use case is part of the back end
    k> for this rather than competition, but we should definitely track the
    k> work.

I agree: it complementary.  I guess I think of ANIMA as being the front
end that talks to the IPAM in the back-end :-)

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Laurent Ciavaglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:05:11 +0100

Hello,

Indeed a very important change from Centralized to Coordinated.
I remember discussions at IETF94/Yokohama about possible solutions to 
the ASM problem and the centralized approach was really preeminent and 
thus putting out of scope potential solutions more distributed (à la ANIMA).

Also, ASM is one of the problems that might benefit from a "coordinated" 
management approach.
We could think about generalizing the scheme to shared resources / 
resource pool management (instead of only addresses / address ranges as 
the resource).

Best regards, Laurent.

-- 

Laurent Ciavaglia

Nokia, Bell Labs

+33 160 402 636

route de Villejust - Nozay, France

linkedin.com/in/laurent.ciavaglia