Subject: [Anima] FYI: GRASP testing this week

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:30:01 +1300

In the hackathon, the prototype GRASP implementation in Python 3 was 
successfully tested  on several Linux machines and a Windows host,
provided by collaborators (Michael Richardson, William Atwood, Jéferson
Campos Nobre) and myself. We also demonstrated the emulations of prefix
assignment and secure bootstrap ASAs to interested people.

We didn't hit any bugs in the Python (but all the test ASAs had been
previously tested), so the main point was verifying portability. The tests
included at least one scenario with a physical topology loop (via Ethernet
and 802.11) which also demonstrated that GRASP multicast relaying does not
cause packet loops.

We seemed to spend a lot of time on installing current versions of
Python and Python modules, and on networking setup. Actually running
GRASP tests didn't take much time.

After the hackathon, I worked with Bing Liu to test the BUPT student
implementation of GRASP. Unfortunately it has some minor problems
plus an error in the format of the Discovery messages, so that
although we could move packets from one to the other, interoperation
with the Python implementation was not possible. I also learned the
hard way that the Python code throws an exception on a badly
malformed Discovery packet (will fix!).

We also tested the Python code on MacOS and showed it interoperating
between Windows, Linux and MacOS simultaneously.
 
Regards
   Brian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:52:10 -0400

> malformed Discovery packet (will fix!).

It would be nice to capture that broken packet as a test case.
Please send pcap if you have it.

    > between Windows, Linux and MacOS simultaneously.

And your code needs python 3.4, 3.2 isn't new enough.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:42:51 +1300

> Please send pcap if you have it.

off list

> And your code needs python 3.4, 3.2 isn't new enough.

3.3 is fine. I could try to figure which 3.2 -> 3.3 "improvement" caused the
issue, except that it's only a prototype...

   Brian