Subject: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:31:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach of the IETF.

        Title           : Autonomic IPv6 Edge Prefix Management in Large-scale Networks
        Authors         : Sheng Jiang
                          Zongpeng Du
                          Brian Carpenter
                          Qiong Sun
	Filename        : draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-04.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2017-06-22

Abstract:
   This document describes an autonomic solution for IPv6 prefix
   management at the edge of large-scale ISP networks, with an extension
   to support IPv4 prefixes.  An important purpose of the document is to
   use it for validation of the design of various components of the
   autonomic networking infrastructure.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:52:31 +1200

Hi,

This version follows a careful review by Toerless. There are three
significant changes:

1. There is some explanation, mainly in an Appendix, about how this
solution can co-exist with existing mechanisms for prefix delegation,
especially DHCPv6/PD. In a few words, we'd use the autonomic solution
to provide prefixes to edge devices, and conventional methods to
delegate prefixes at the edge. Thus the client routers don't need to
be in the trusted autonomic domain.

2. There is not complete agreement among the authors, but for now we have
removed the "PD" flag from the GRASP objective, because the use case for
it was very unclear (why bother to negotiate with GRASP and then add an
extra step with DHCPv6?).

3. We have included two possible ways to add IPv4 prefix management.

Comments are needed. Especially, should we include one of the IPv4
mechanisms in the final version?

For people who like running code, there's a demo version at
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/graspy/pfxm3.py
A screen shot of four instances working together is at
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/graspy/prefixen.png

Regards
   Brian + co-authors

On 23/06/2017 15:31, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
>