Subject: [Anima] RFC 8368 on Using an Autonomic Control Plane for Stable Connectivity of Network Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 23:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8368

        Title:      Using an Autonomic Control Plane 
                    for Stable Connectivity of Network Operations, 
                    Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) 
        Author:     T. Eckert, Ed.,
                    M. Behringer
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 59777
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8368

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8368

Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM), as per BCP 161,
for data networks is often subject to the problem of circular
dependencies when relying on connectivity provided by the network to
be managed for the OAM purposes.

Provisioning while bringing up devices and networks tends to be more
difficult to automate than service provisioning later on.  Changes in
core network functions impacting reachability cannot be automated
because of ongoing connectivity requirements for the OAM equipment
itself, and widely used OAM protocols are not secure enough to be
carried across the network without security concerns.

This document describes how to integrate OAM processes with an
autonomic control plane in order to provide stable and secure
connectivity for those OAM processes.  This connectivity is not
subject to the aforementioned circular dependencies.

This document is a product of the Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC